Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building: The Calm Before the Storm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
One trade candidate that does not seem to get mentioned is Justin Schultz. He is entering his final season at a 5.5 Cap hit. He is going to want a raise and may have priced himself out of Pittsburgh. A move would require the addition of a #3 type RHD. There are at least two RHD’s who might the bill; one in a trade scenario and the other a a potential UFA. The Pens could move Rust and Jarry to Calgary for Travis Hamonic and a 2020 pick. Or as they clear space, rather than signing a Simmonds or Perry, use $$$ if there is an to sign Anton Stralman.

With Schultz, I’d contact Winnipeg, who have basically lost 2 of their RHD’s, and move Schultz for Ehlers.

Just a though.

Schultz is a complex deal because we need a D man just as good overall coming back. We would want a RHD but a RHD for RHD is unlikely. If it’s a LHD then we need another move for a #4 RHD.

Just speculation of course but being in a contract year I think will be more motivating for him than the norm which could work out well for us. Can’t imagine he’ll be here beyond this upcoming season but if he has a real good year and gives us a better chance for a cup it’s worth him walking in UFA.

By all means keep exploring the options but as I said it gets complicated.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
If we could get Ehlers for Schultz, I'd be ecstatic.

I mean, it'd further screw over an already dramatically flawed blueline, but y'know--worry about that later.

Reactions: JackFr

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
What is prime hockey age for NHL caliber hockey?
I would imagine 18-24 generally speaking. Some with more tuned up genes 18-30.
Then after 30 it is hit or miss whether you can change your diet, sleep, workouts etc to prolong tip top shape.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm not sure Schultz is going to be super hard to replace. He's shown flashes here and there, but he's been nothing close to what he was during the back to back Cup runs. He's a guy that seems to need a significant LD partner in order to function to the best of his ability. He's also a guy that's 100% gone by this time next year, because he's either going to play well enough to price himself out of town or he's going to struggle enough that it makes no sense to keep him around.

Either way, if we could use Schultz as part of a package to land Ehlers, I'd be over the moon. There's your speed/youth/talent, JR.

Reactions: JackFr

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Then after 30 it is hit or miss whether you can change your diet, sleep, workouts etc to prolong tip top shape.

Prime age for the human body is more like 22-27 I believe.

No way an 18 year old is at their peak physical stature or performance.

Reactions: shoplifter

TKalltheTime

KILLER PARTIES, ALMOST KILLED ME!
Jan 5, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
I’d say it’s depending on skill / determination / workout dedication. Where 18-26 are a good rule of thumb for your average “good to really good player” where are 18-34/35ish for generational talent and super stars like Sid & Geno, etc.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Let's be a taaaad bit more respectful in our responses to one another. Quick witted internet responses on a consistent basis is not going to fly. We are very loose around here about the occasional gif/quick response. Let's try to add substance. Every post cannot be a quick jab at the person instead of adding depth to the discussion.

And let's remember to agree to disagree. Thank you.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Forwards peak is generally 22-25

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Maybe this is better in the useless information thread but it’s a signing :laugh: (obviously 2 way deals)

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I'm not sure Schultz is going to be super hard to replace. He's shown flashes here and there, but he's been nothing close to what he was during the back to back Cup runs. He's a guy that seems to need a significant LD partner in order to function to the best of his ability. He's also a guy that's 100% gone by this time next year, because he's either going to play well enough to price himself out of town or he's going to struggle enough that it makes no sense to keep him around.

Either way, if we could use Schultz as part of a package to land Ehlers, I'd be over the moon. There's your speed/youth/talent, JR.
I like Ehlers, he's the type of player we should be looking for. However, we're already precarious on defense. We shouldn't take a clear area of weakness and exacerbate the problem by making it even worse.

Also, Ehlers is signed for SIX more seasons while Shultz will be a UFA next year. I cannot see the Jets entertaining that UNLESS we add significantly to that deal. And currently we are not in the position to do so.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
One trade candidate that does not seem to get mentioned is Justin Schultz. He is entering his final season at a 5.5 Cap hit. He is going to want a raise and may have priced himself out of Pittsburgh. A move would require the addition of a #3 type RHD. There are at least two RHD’s who might the bill; one in a trade scenario and the other a a potential UFA. The Pens could move Rust and Jarry to Calgary for Travis Hamonic and a 2020 pick. Or as they clear space, rather than signing a Simmonds or Perry, use $$$ if there is an to sign Anton Stralman.

With Schultz, I’d contact Winnipeg, who have basically lost 2 of their RHD’s, and move Schultz for Ehlers.

Just a though.

Also Colin Miller who’s on the block because of Vegas’ cap woes...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
BTW, Schultz to Winnipeg is likely a nonstarter even if a deal could be made because Schultz has a 10-team no trade list and if he’s like most nhl players, Winnipeg is surely on it...

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
OMG..thank the holy mother of ....beautiful!! The old guy did it!

Damn...a joke...You got my hopes up only to be crashed...

Sorry Andy. I saw it and had to do it :laugh:. Always read the spoilers ;)

It felt good though for a moment didn’t it :)

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
I'm really grateful that JR hasn't re-signed Wilson. I'm also a bit surprised. I wonder if it's because he demands an NHL deal. Wasn't there an interview where he said that he earned his place as a full-time NHLer and would only sign an NHL deal or something of the sort?

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I'm really grateful that JR hasn't re-signed Wilson. I'm also a bit surprised. I wonder if it's because he demands an NHL deal. Wasn't there an interview where he said that he earned his place as a full-time NHLer and would only sign an NHL deal or something of the sort?

Yeah I don’t think he’s getting a NHL deal here. Rather a 13th forward be a centre and while Wilson was serviceable and pretty good defensively we can do better.

If he wants a NHL contract he might get one and good luck to him if he does.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Couple of thoughts.

What about a trade with the Rangers swapping Kessel & stuff for Kreider & stuff?

Then Horny to Calgary for Bennett or Frolik.

Mix and match those lines now and they are looking quite sexy.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
We currently have Gudbranson, Johnson and Hornqvist on awful contracts. At least the players listed above were on cheap deals. We now have equally crappy players except now they are severely overpaid.

In regards to Hornqvist first of all he’s not a crappy player. The rest is some more insight on a guy that’s always been good here (except for the 2nd half of last season but not as bad as it looks).

We all know his production took a hit in the last 35 games after he came back from a concussion. Looking into it further as soon as he came back he had a 14 game pointless streak but finished off the year with a respectable 11 points in 21 games. Even with the 11 points in 35 games his advanced stats were all positives and he was out scoring the opposition all while having the 2nd highest D zone starts among forwards.

This is from Jan 19 when he came back until the end of the season.
Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

Expect Hornqvist to be a valuable player next season as he always has been. Yeah Sid prefers not to have him but he does go there when a shakeup is required. It’s less minutes the last couple years but hasn’t really been needed. Sid’s lines have been killing it.

Now when it comes to Malkin you hear the term oil and water a lot but it works. They score together at a really high rate over the years and create a good 2 way line. Malkin had one of his better seasons of his career (certainly the best in the last 7 years) with Horny (goals were up, health was up). Now they need the right complement for sure but you can basically say that about any line in the league.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Couple of thoughts.

What about a trade with the Rangers swapping Kessel & stuff for Kreider & stuff?

Then Horny to Calgary for Bennett or Frolik.

Mix and match those lines now and they are looking quite sexy.

NYR are trying to get Panarin even if they aren’t the favourites I’m sure they’ll wait that out first. If you see buyouts on June 30 for them they’ll think they have a shot.

Also Hornqvist has a full NTC for the next 2 seasons. There’s nothing to suggest he’ll waive it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad