Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building: The Calm Before the Storm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Other than JJ and maybe Guds, what awful desicions has he made that has effected this roster?
Hags for Pearson. Letting Bonino go without a competitive offer, sending him on a multi-year quest to find a 3C replacement, which ended up costing us nearly a dozen assets. JJ being signed for half a decade, while publicly defending his asinine decision by calling out opposing GMs and coaches. Reaves. Probably some more I can't think of because I'm lazy and stupid.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Hags for Pearson. Letting Bonino go without a competitive offer, sending him on a multi-year quest to find a 3C replacement, which ended up costing us nearly a dozen assets. JJ being signed for half a decade, while publicly defending his asinine decision by calling out opposing GMs and coaches. Reaves. Probably some more I can't think of because I'm lazy and stupid.
Don’t forget signing Hunwick and then having to donate Sheary to Buffalo to entice Buffalo to take Hunwick.

Giving Matt Cullen months to decide if he was retiring while having no back up plan. We played combos of Riley Sheahan, Greg McKegg and Carter Rowney as our third and fourth centers for far too long.

Giving Horny way too much term.

Not finding a more reliable backup goalie for fragile Murray.

Unable to draft NHL players.

Not firing Mike Bylsullivan in April.

Alienating Geno and Kessel this summer.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Don’t forget signing Hunwick and then having to donate Sheary to Buffalo to entice Buffalo to take Hunwick.

Giving Matt Cullen months to decide if he was retiring while having no back up plan. We played combos of Riley Sheahan, Greg McKegg and Carter Rowney as our third and fourth centers for far too long.

Giving Horny way too much term.

Not finding a more reliable backup goalie for fragile Murray.

Unable to draft NHL players.

Not firing Mike Bylsullivan in April.

Alienating Geno and Kessel this summer.

Unable to draft NHL players? :laugh:
He's drafted NHLers Simon, Kapanen, and Sprong in addition to several other players who are headed towards NHL careers. He also signed undrafted guys like ZAR and Johnson, who are NHL players. That's pretty damn good considering we're in win now mode. I suspect it'll be even better with Allvin in charge.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The fallout from the Reaves fiasco is epically bad...

They gave up:
• Sundqvist
• Cole
• Gustavsson
• Sheahan

• 2017 first-round pick
• 2018 first-round pick
• 2018 fifth-round pick
• 2019 second-round pick
• 2019 third-round pick
• 2019 fourth-round pick
• 2019 fourth-round pick

They now have:
• Hallander
• McCann
• Bjugstad

So... the bolded names all would have been out of here regardless. Gust wouldn't have taken over muzz and DeSmith is a fine backup. Jarry isn't even going to sniff the NHL due to it. Muzz is our guy. So no problems there. Sheahan was gone because he sucks. Cole was going to get money in FA... so even though I wish we would have signed him, he was gone. Sundy was unfortunately not going to crack this lineup because the route they were going. He was gone.

So the bolded names, meh. Now the picks... 2 1sts, 2 4ths, 1 3rd, 1 2nd, 1 5th. That is quite a bit of payment. But if McCann delivers in a big big big way - i'll take it.

BrokenStick

Feb 8, 2004
Ellwood City, PA
Again you can’t really blame JR for Brassard going from ok second line center to not even a decent 4th liner almost instantly.

In agreement here.

DO NOT CONFUSE moves that didn't work out with bad moves.

Signing Johnson was a bad move. Trading for Reaves was a bad move. Signing Hunwick was somewhere between the two.

Trading for Perron was a move that didn't work out. Ditto Pearson. The Brassard trade was a brilliant move that somehow completely exploded in our faces.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
The fallout from the Reaves fiasco is epically bad...

They gave up:
• Sundqvist
• Cole
• Gustavsson
• Sheahan
• 2017 first-round pick
• 2018 first-round pick
• 2018 fifth-round pick
• 2019 second-round pick
• 2019 third-round pick
• 2019 fourth-round pick
• 2019 fourth-round pick

They now have:
• Hallander
• McCann
• Bjugstad

Its not good value by any means but its nowhere near as bad as your implying it is. Hallamder cancels out the 2nd. Cole and Sheahan would have walked as FA by now. And the whole league has had a shit at Sundqvist for free and passed.

So 3 1st, a 3rd, 2 4ths and Gustavsson.

Clearly not good value by any means but now franchise crippling by any stretch for two good younger players.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
So... the bolded names all would have been out of here regardless. Gust wouldn't have taken over muzz and DeSmith is a fine backup. Jarry isn't even going to sniff the NHL due to it. Muzz is our guy. So no problems there. Sheahan was gone because he sucks. Cole was going to get money in FA... so even though I wish we would have signed him, he was gone. Sundy was unfortunately not going to crack this lineup because the route they were going. He was gone.

So the bolded names, meh. Now the picks... 2 1sts, 2 4ths, 1 3rd, 1 2nd, 1 5th. That is quite a bit of payment. But if McCann delivers in a big big big way - i'll take it.

Gustavsson would still be here, he's not even 20 yet - it's just he'd be taking over as AHL goaltender instead of Larmi. Assuming we didn't trade him elsewhere, which would be my thing with a lot o the other stuff too - it's a lot of value got to a bad end, and I don't think the fact we weren't going to keep those guys changes that we could have used the value better elsewhere.

In agreement here.

Signing Johnson was a bad move. Trading for Reaves was a bad move. Signing Hunwick was somewhere between the two.

Trading for Perron was a move that didn't work out. Ditto Pearson. The Brassard trade was a brilliant move that somehow completely exploded in our faces.

Didn't think the Brassard move was brilliant at the time. Getting an offence first 2C to play as a defence first 3C was always a bit of a risk in terms of ego and what he was used to, and an even bigger question mark in terms of whether he'd be able to provide enough value to justify it. I never expected it to turn out just as bad as it did, but him just being an ordinary 3C wouldn't have surprised me at all.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Again you can’t really blame JR for Brassard going from ok second line center to not even a decent 4th liner almost instantly.
That's fair, and I agree, but we never should've let Bonino walk without tendering a legit offer.

I may be wrong, but I could swear I remember Bonino essentially saying that he was surprised JR didn't even really make an offer before allowing him to go to FA.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It'd be cool if this thread went back to discussing the current cap situation and not *****ing about the Hall of Fame GM ruining the team.
I fixed it for you. :laugh:

Seriously though, they're kind of related, eh? Not much we can do with the current cap situation being what it is because, well, we have $7 million tied up in JJ and Gudbranson thanks to aforementioned GM.

Reactions: KIRK

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
It'd be cool if this thread went back to discussing the current cap situation and not *****ing about the Hall of Fame GM running the team.
what's there to discuss? we know what has to be done. it all depends on how GMJR can get the Pens there.

as of today, my prediction would be he signs a few AHL warm bodies, signs someone like Jamie McGinn or Marcus Krueger, and trade Jarry and/or some lower tier players that we're not expecting for a draft pick or two. i also predict Jack Johnson and Erik Gudbranson will be on the team to start next season.

now, please let this prediction blow up in my face.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Its not good value by any means but its nowhere near as bad as your implying it is. Hallamder cancels out the 2nd. Cole and Sheahan would have walked as FA by now. And the whole league has had a **** at Sundqvist for free and passed.

Clearly not good value by any means but now franchise crippling by any stretch for two good younger players.

...took me a minute to figure out what the hell word was getting bleeped, given the context. I figured out the typo.:laugh:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
@domaug - "Who would be the right player?"

First I wanna say, just because they have that much space using the 10% doesn't mean they should use it all.

To answer the question: Whoever they can get who can have a positive impact on the team. That impact player doesn't have to be a top UFA like Duchene. Look at the under the radar guys who'll be a lot cheaper.

Marcus Johansson
Gustav Nyquist

Thomas Vanek - Though he's a bit older he's still an effective LW. Just remember they need guys who are still hungry never have won a cup, and the Pens can always use cheaper secondary scoring. He would be battling to be the Pens 2nd best LW. If he ends up on line 2 or 3 he adds that factor being a 30/50 point winger.

There are more out there, some younger. They don't have to be a top player, they just need to work for the Pens for a season or two being that counted on secondary guy to help create depth.

Reactions: domaug

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Its not good value by any means but its nowhere near as bad as your implying it is. Hallamder cancels out the 2nd. Cole and Sheahan would have walked as FA by now. And the whole league has had a **** at Sundqvist for free and passed.

Yup.

It also ignores the value we received in between, such as a year of Brassard, a year of Sheahan, 60 games of Reaves. Brass was a coveted C before he self-destructed and Reaves was a sought after asset even if we didn't agree with his acquisition. Sheahan was desperately needed and solidified our C position when Mckegg and Rowney couldn't hack it.

Also, Lauzon was a good prospect. No one can predict career derailing injuries.

Complaining about what remains is like complaining about the Sutter trade because we don't have Bonino anymore.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
In agreement here.

The Pearson trade was really bad. For all the grief JR takes, that was the worst in my eyes. Trade your fastest guy for a slow struggling Western conference guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad