Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building: The Calm Before the Storm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Yea offense and defenseman who can skate and pass and make decisions at a professional level are unrelated entirely, for sure. It’s a coincidence that the only game they looked competitive in was game 1 without JJ. It’s all Letang’s fault.

Lol so they weren’t competitive in games 2 and 3 when it was 1-1 and 2-1 going into the 3rd period?

Some of you guys try to spin your hatred in Jack Johnson into make believe facts. And let me reiterate before one of you decide to put words into my mouth that weren’t said. Jack Johnson is a downfall to this team. Don’t jump down my throat because you made an idiotic claim about Scuderi and our 2016 Stanley Cup team.

And yes, Letang was responsible for giving up more goals in that series than Jack Johnson was. That’s 100% fact. They both ended up -3 and Letangs blunders directly led to multiple goals.

Last edited:
Reactions: farscape1 and Burn

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I know I wanted Kulikov. And thought Johnson would be okay here...

Side note: is this site on mobile terrible for other people too?
Try logging out, the site is garbage when you're logged out and you gotta wait a while for the boards to update the threads. It's like an hour...mobile or PC.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Exactly. the teams everyone is afraid of in the east all lost in round 1 aswell. (Caps and Tampa)

Boston is the only team to be scared of. We can literary take every team in a playoff round, save Boston

Bruh, we can't even take on the Islanders for crying out loud LOL!

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Supposing we did dump Johnson with no salary coming back a guy like Benn on a 2x2.5 type deal would be a nice bottom pairing guy until we can develop one from within.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I know they have zero interest but Perry at 2M or less on a 1 year would be a nice add IMO. I wouldn’t go any higher.

Not sure that’s realistic tho.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Lol so they weren’t competitive in games 2 and 3 when it was 1-1 and 2-1 going into the 3rd period?

Some of you guys try to spin your hatred in Jack Johnson into make believe facts. And let me reiterate before one of you decide to put words into my mouth that weren’t said. Jack Johnson is a downfall to this team. Don’t jump down my throat because you made an idiotic claim about Scuderi and our 2016 Stanley Cup team.

And yes, Letang was responsible for giving up more goals in that series than Jack Johnson was. That’s 100% fact. They both ended up -3 and Letangs blunders directly led to multiple goals.

I lost hope of winning one game after game 2 based on how we’d played as a team.

JJ playing for 46 minutes in the playoffs wasn’t the main cause. It was a real team effort to be that bad.

Sole blame is on Phil Kessel :sarcasm:

Reactions: Hockey4Lyfe

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Supposing we did dump Johnson with no salary coming back a guy like Benn on a 2x2.5 type deal would be a nice bottom pairing guy until we can develop one from within.
Dumoulin Letang
Pettersson Schultz
Riikola Gudbranson
Ruhwedel

We have everything we need on the roster already.

Phil to AZ for futures, but they have to take JJ with no retention. Sign a winger for Geno in FA or move those futures for him. All good.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
I’m still optimistic about our team. The last couple years we had McKegg, Grant, Oleksiak, Brassard, Sheahan, Sprong, Rowney, Wilson, Reaves etc. in our lineup

Reactions: Doogle

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Dumoulin Letang
Pettersson Schultz
Riikola Gudbranson
Ruhwedel

Phil to AZ for futures, but they have to take JJ with no retention. Sign a winger for Geno in FA or move those futures for him. All good.

Arizona can't do that. They have no cap space...

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I'm not sure it's either or here tbh.

Rutherford's talked about wanting 2 new forwards. Given how crowded the forward roster is, that means you can - and maybe should - send 2 forwards out.

And given out cap space, unless they're dirt cheap you need to move more than Kessel.

At which point its Rust or Bjugstad - or a super surprise move for Horny - and Rust probably makes more sense looking at Rutherford's plans right now. You'd have to get a very fast player back somewhere to replace him but maybe that's the plan.

Or maybe it is Bjugstad going and he's planning to deal with Vegas and take back Smith + Eakin for Kessel or something like that - although that doesn't jibe with FA, which sounds like "Guys, brace yourself, Kessel for futures is happening".
Kahun is a new forward.
Kessel for Zucker is another new forward.
Done and Done.

Reactions: JackFr

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Arizona can't do that. They have no cap space...

They will have Hossa’s LTIR as well (that’s an extra 5.28 mil).

Not sure if that’s included in the equation right now because you need to submit a doctors note again stating he’ll be out for 10 games or 24 days.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Dumoulin Letang
Pettersson Schultz
Riikola Gudbranson
Ruhwedel

I don’t think the team is comfortable with Riikola to play 82 games.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I don’t think the team is comfortable with Riikola to play 82 games.

Me neither. Happy for him to get first crack whenever injuries hit though and see how it plays out.

If (and likely) we are stuck with JJ the best option is to play him with Pettersson. The numbers were good when they were together but it screws up the right/left combo and we’d be really catering to JJ when we should not be.

The other alternative is (and @Empoleon8771 may have mentioned this too) play JJ with Schultz but limit his minutes. Pettersson stays with Gudbranson because they were good and Pettersson takes extra shifts with Schultz.

It eases Pettersson into a top 4 role and we can adjust his minutes over the season depending on how he handles it. JJ has the #6 minutes of the D as JR continues to try and trade him..............

........unless he improves on last year substantially

tenor.gif

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Still can't take Jessel (JJ AND Kessel).

Gotcha I thought it was just a typo and was just Phil. :laugh:

EDIT: I did hear some info (twitter guy seems like he has legit sources - not to the like the TSN guys though) about Phil that he would also go to Vegas (we knew that already), Chicago and LA. Not sure if there are potential deals there.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I’m still optimistic about our team. The last couple years we had McKegg, Grant, Oleksiak, Brassard, Sheahan, Sprong, Rowney, Wilson, Reaves etc. in our lineup

Sprong??????? Do tell how bad he was in the 17 minutes total that he played......

Also, Reaves was misused, Oleksias was more than adequate and McKegg wasn't all that bad. Rowney had moments his first season and Wilson had high hopes.

Brassard... this board had a collective orgasm when we traded for him, not by me of course, but by nearly everyone else.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Maybe we have our sights set on Lee. Out of all the guys (after Duchene and Panarin), he's the guy I want way more than any of the others.
I’d love him but I’m worried about his asking price. I could stomach him at like 5.5-6 preferably. He’s likely gonna want (and get) north of 7 which I’m not sure he’s worth. Would be a sick lineup though. Tons of flexibility.

Guentzel-Sid-Kahuna
Lee-Geno-Rust
McCann-Bjugstad-Horny
ZAR-Teddy-Simon

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
We currently have Gudbranson, Johnson and Hornqvist on awful contracts. At least the players listed above were on cheap deals. We now have equally crappy players except now they are severely overpaid.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
One trade candidate that does not seem to get mentioned is Justin Schultz. He is entering his final season at a 5.5 Cap hit. He is going to want a raise and may have priced himself out of Pittsburgh. A move would require the addition of a #3 type RHD. There are at least two RHD’s who might the bill; one in a trade scenario and the other a a potential UFA. The Pens could move Rust and Jarry to Calgary for Travis Hamonic and a 2020 pick. Or as they clear space, rather than signing a Simmonds or Perry, use $$$ if there is an to sign Anton Stralman.

With Schultz, I’d contact Winnipeg, who have basically lost 2 of their RHD’s, and move Schultz for Ehlers.

Just a though.

Reactions: KIRK and Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad