Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building: The Calm Before the Storm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Lmao if the Jets lost their minds and offered Ehlers for Schultz you take that without even hesitating. Figure out the blueline after you get that deal done.

I still like Colin Miller and will keep ringing that bell until he gets traded

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I truthfully don't think I ever turned negative. I just don't like the optics. The one thing I love is that I sold my soul for 3 Cups and it's gravy from here.

But I do love the idea that they are finally preaching it. SO GET OFF ME>

Have you considered re-mortgaging that soul?

Kahun is a new forward.
Kessel for Zucker is another new forward.
Done and Done.

He was saying that after Kahin :P

JJ has the #6 minutes of the D as JR continues to try and trade him..............

........unless he improves on last year substantially

I can't believe I'm saying this, but there's got to be a decent chance he's a bit better. That was his worst relative numbers ever and a car wreck of a season for everyone. Normally that's a situation when you bet on the rebound.

Problem is he can rebound a fair amount and still be the worst dman on the team...

Gotcha I thought it was just a typo and was just Phil. :laugh:

EDIT: I did hear some info (twitter guy seems like he has legit sources - not to the like the TSN guys though) about Phil that he would also go to Vegas (we knew that already), Chicago and LA. Not sure if there are potential deals there.

Vegas need to shed cap, Chicago are set for RWs, LA could be a goer but probablynot.

I like Colin Miller a lot. :laugh: I always wondered if I was in the minority.

I (and a few others) were throwing around Colin Miller's name as a new potential bottom pairing puck mover the summer of the expansion draft.

In retrospect, that expansion draft sucking up all the young surplus talent in the NHL when we needed to go shopping sucked, even if Rutherford wouldn't have noticed most of it...

Reactions: KIRK and ColePens

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Prime age for the human body is more like 22-27 I believe.

No way an 18 year old is at their peak physical stature or performance.

Sid was a freak of nature at 18.
Look at Hughes, he is a little boy at 18.
I'm surprised Austin Matthews was NHL ready at 18 same I feel about Hughes.

18 is a rough age for NHL competition I agree. It is prime age for getting the body ready for an NHL career though

torrencemd

Jun 27, 2006
This summarizes JJ’s Islanders series:

****ing moron.

I will give you half and half, one he got clipped turning him around and had to rebalance, but he definitely had a chance to ease up on a defenseless Pelech who was looking .the other way. Honestly that whole series was a dumpster fire with everyone waiting for someone else to make a play.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Also I don't want JR clearing any cap until Simmonds has been signed by another team.

Yohe's article from yesterday quelled any fears I had about them signing someone like Perry or Simmonds. No way that happens at this point.

My expectations for the next 3 days are one of 2 things. They either trade Kessel for Zucker, or they trade Kessel to Arizona for futures and then trade futures for the RFA rights of someone like Labanc, Heinen, Connor, Bennett or Kapanen. They do that plus trading Rust or Bjugstad for futures and bring in a cheaper forward (either a RFA or a younger UFA) to replace whichever of Rust or Bjugstad they trade.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Those are pretty specific expectations.

I guess you could call it "guesses" more than "expectations". Kessel is a super obvious trade candidate and Rust is probably one of the most logical ones. I don't think it's really much of a stretch to say that Kessel for Zucker ends up happening and Rust gets moved out too. It's not like I'm saying Malkin is being traded to Florida :laugh:

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
I had a dream that we traded Kahun and a 1st for two prospects that I have never heard of. I think it is safe to say that won’t happen irl.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I can't believe I'm saying this, but there's got to be a decent chance he's a bit better. That was his worst relative numbers ever and a car wreck of a season for everyone. Normally that's a situation when you bet on the rebound.

Problem is he can rebound a fair amount and still be the worst dman on the team...

Hornqvist could be our saviour :laugh:
Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick

Crosby & Hornqvist with JJ
Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick

upload_2019-6-28_4-51-7.gif

Reactions: Peat

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I think he may be a good extra forward or 4th line option for the Penguins. He seems like a Letestu type of depth center, a bottom-6 center that has a lot of experience on both the powerplay and PK. Getting versatile players like that is never a bad idea.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Yohe's article from yesterday quelled any fears I had about them signing someone like Perry or Simmonds. No way that happens at this point.

My expectations for the next 3 days are one of 2 things. They either trade Kessel for Zucker, or they trade Kessel to Arizona for futures and then trade futures for the RFA rights of someone like Labanc, Heinen, Connor, Bennett or Kapanen. They do that plus trading Rust or Bjugstad for futures and bring in a cheaper forward (either a RFA or a younger UFA) to replace whichever of Rust or Bjugstad they trade.

If it’s for Zucker, Wild have also talked to Anders Lee (he’s from Minnesota too).

Last edited:
Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If it’s for Zucker, Wild have also talked to Anders Lee too (he’s from Minnesota too).

I think the Wild signing Lee may push Kessel to accepting a trade there, suddenly the Wild look a lot more competitive with adding Lee and Kessel. I don't even think they're that bad of a team in the first place, they have some good pieces. Getting Kessel for Zucker and signing Lee suddenly makes their top-9 at least decent:

Lee-Staal-Kessel
Parise-Kunin-Fiala
Donato-Koivu-Greenway

That's a group that has both solid veterans and young guys with upside.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Oh yeah. This will be a crazy free agency. I bet Panarin ends up a Ranger.
Agree on Panarin.

Bobrovsky > Florida
Pavelski > Tampa (Not sure how they're gonna fit him but he's met with them twice now)
Duchene > Nashville
Gardiner > New Jersey
Lee, Lehner > staying put

Jul 1 will be nuts! One of the best Free Agent Frenzy's in recent memory. Lookin forward to being completely wrong with these hunches. :thumbu:

God I wish we could take a stab at Gardiner. He's exactly what we need. Fast PMD with considerable offensive flair and a few strong years left. Playoffs aside, he's become a pretty capable defender too over the last few seasons. Wonder what the price tag is?

Reactions: shoplifter

Jesse

Jun 28, 2005
Pittsburgh
Sid was a freak of nature at 18.
Look at Hughes, he is a little boy at 18.
I'm surprised Austin Matthews was NHL ready at 18 same I feel about Hughes.

18 is a rough age for NHL competition I agree. It is prime age for getting the body ready for an NHL career though

People get so mad when I suggest Jack Hughes may not be ready for a full 82 games in the NHL this season.

Kappo Kakko, on the other hand...

Reactions: shoplifter

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
OK, so let me pour some cold water on this Kessel trade thing. First, if the Wild are signing Anders Lee (a goal-scorer), why would they still want Kessel? Seems to me they have moved on and are looking at other options. Secondly, apparently Fenton has cooled on the idea of trading Zucker now. Probably because his market was not there (aside from the Kessel thing).

He wants to go to Arizona, who have zero interest, or stay here.

I gotta believe JR and co. have moved on as well and are now looking at other trade options.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
God I wish we could take a stab at Gardiner. He's exactly what we need. Fast PMD with considerable offensive flair and a few strong years left. Playoffs aside, he's become a pretty capable defender too over the last few seasons. Wonder what the price tag is?

How can we just put aside his playoffs, though? Is there going to be less pressure for Mr. Gardiner playing for a team that expects to win the Cup?

I'd rather extend Schultz, at least we know he can play when it matters.

People get so mad when I suggest Jack Hughes may not be ready for a full 82 games in the NHL this season.

Physically, he is not ready. Everything else, Hughes is definitely ready. They can afford to manage his minutes, too, since they have Hischier two years ahead of him on the learning curve plus vet Zajac and the solid Zacha.

Joe Thornton played very little in his first NHL season and was a fourth-liner. Different body, obviously, but first overalls can play a little role in year 1. I think Hughes will play fourth-line minutes with bigger bodies on his line and get first PP minutes.

He should be fine.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

Quite a few scouts have said that too. Earlier in the year some even suggested he wasn’t ready to play at all this upcoming season. That may have just been to be controversial though.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
OK, so let me pour some cold water on this Kessel trade thing. First, if the Wild are signing Anders Lee (a goal-scorer), why would they still want Kessel? Seems to me they have moved on and are looking at other options. Secondly, apparently Fenton has cooled on the idea of trading Zucker now. Probably because his market was not there (aside from the Kessel thing).

I gotta believe JR and co. have moved on as well and are now looking at other trade options.

Because the Wild need an offensive driver and Lee isn't that. They wouldn't just be acquiring Kessel as a sniper, and I don't know how anyone can call Kessel a sniper at this point in his career. He has averaged 55 assists a season in the last 2 years, he's more of a playmaker than a sniper at this point. You'd want to acquire Kessel after getting Lee because Lee and Kessel would complement each other really well.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

They had the 5th lowest goals for in the NHL last season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Riikolas Revenge

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Kessel already rejected the trade to Minn. Rutherford confirmed that. It's not happening for sure.

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad