Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Monday, February 26

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I don't see us making many, if any changes before the deadline. I'd be okay with that. I don't see us going all out for people like Brassard.

Reactions: Riptide

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I don't see us making many, if any changes before the deadline. I'd be okay with that. I don't see us going all out for people like Brassard.

Define all out. I think JR is JR and will try to get something big but that doesn’t mean he will.

2018/2019 1st + Gustavsson + 2nd + Bjorkvist for brassard with 20% retained
Hunwick out.

I could see him doing something around there. Pieces like Sprong and Jarry are a different story.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
1st, 2nd, top prospect + roster player for Brassard is obnoxious. I'm still tempted because we could do it and if it all went well we'd be dynamite for those few months, but it really is an ugly overpayment.

Problem is I'm not sure who or what else out there is realistic.

That's actually an interesting thought that I haven't considered, why not consider moving Sheahan to open up cap space? I've been super happy with him in Pittsburgh, but do you really need a $2 million 4C? If you move out Hunwick and Sheahan, you get really close to being able to afford Brassard if I'm doing the math right. Plus you might even be able to convince Ottawa to retain like $500k if you're offering Sprong (which you could do if you're keeping Sheary), which makes the cap work even better.

Its an option. Getting a centre away from someone is a hell of a lot easier when you can offer a cheap useful replacement back. Find a rental 4C (not hard) and you're away.

I don't think its my preferred option though. I'd rather lose Sheary providing I don't lose Sprong as well. Aaaand... hmm. Would I rather keep Sheary or Sprong? Not sure. But probably Sprong.

edit: We need a new thread. And lives.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Not interested in subtracting center depth to add to it. Sheahan has been a nice fit overall and is an RFA that should be a reasonable re-sign. Move Sheary way before Sheahan due to depth in the org on wing vs center.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
This is probably short sighted of me but I dunno HOW much I want to toy with this roster the way they are playing. Sure... it's obvious what they COULD use, ideally. But what works on paper doesn't always work on the ice. And tinkering too much when shit is out there humming along pretty well can often have the reverse of the desired effect.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
This is probably short sighted of me but I dunno HOW much I want to toy with this roster the way they are playing. Sure... it's obvious what they COULD use, ideally. But what works on paper doesn't always work on the ice. And tinkering too much when **** is out there humming along pretty well can often have the reverse of the desired effect.

I agree to some extent, but if all you’re subtracting from the roster is Sheary and/or Hunwick, you should be fine. If it’s in reference to moving Sheahan I agree

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Not interested in subtracting center depth to add to it. Sheahan has been a nice fit overall and is an RFA that should be a reasonable re-sign. Move Sheary way before Sheahan due to depth in the org on wing vs center.
But hypothetically what if OTT wanted Sheahan and not Sheary for cap reasons. Do you just give up on getting Brassard?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
But hypothetically what if OTT wanted Sheahan and not Sheary for cap reasons. Do you just give up on getting Brassard?

No I wouldn’t give up and I’d probably do it, but where are we going to get a quality 4C with low cap hit?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I agree to some extent, but if all you’re subtracting from the roster is Sheary and/or Hunwick, you should be fine. If it’s in reference to moving Sheahan I agree

Yeah, that's what I mean, mostly. Heh... I feel like sometimes Sheahan is a bit underappreciated. I also mean just dumping a "name" or three in the lineup and it not always working out. And with the future pieces you flip to accomplish that... eh.

For the record I think a player like Brassard would likely work out great, here. But... the team is humming and have been for a good stretch, now. Why are we in such a hurry to give away a legit forward prospect and high draft picks plus likely a roster player? I have faith in the vast majority of this group. I'm simply not convinced big move(s) are necessary.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
This is probably short sighted of me but I dunno HOW much I want to toy with this roster the way they are playing. Sure... it's obvious what they COULD use, ideally. But what works on paper doesn't always work on the ice. And tinkering too much when **** is out there humming along pretty well can often have the reverse of the desired effect.

I kinda feel this way too.

Incidentally, its why I really want Cullen. Quality upgrade who we know fits in.

That said... yeah, removing say Sheary and Hunwick for one guy isn't that big a difference.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Show your work. What assets are we giving up for each and how are we making the cap work?
I wrote this on the last page:

You could in theory move Sheahan, Rowney and Hunwick which equates to 4.9 million. If you send Blueger down (once Horny comes back) In addition to the cap space we already have, you're looking at approx 6.5 million in total cap space. We could get Both Brassard and Letestu if EDM retains 35-50%. We also wouldn't have to move Sheary. We'd likely lose a 1st, a 2hd maybe a 2019 3rd, and one of Sprong or Gus. It's tricky but it is doable.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I wrote this on the last page:

You could in theory move Sheahan, Rowney and Hunwick which equates to 4.9 million. If you send Blueger down (once Horny comes back) In addition to the cap space we already have, you're looking at approx 6.5 million in total cap space. We could get Both Brassard and Letestu if EDM retains 35-50%. We also wouldn't have to move Sheary. We'd likely lose a 1st, a 2hd maybe a 2019 3rd, and one of Sprong or Gus. It's tricky but it is doable.

This won’t happen. Mainly because JR isn’t moving out that many roster pieces.

Sheahan won’t be moved. He’s playing well and cost controlled. He makes no sense to move.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I kinda feel this way too.

Incidentally, its why I really want Cullen. Quality upgrade who we know fits in.

That said... yeah, removing say Sheary and Hunwick for one guy isn't that big a difference.

You're right. But that package including Hunwick (a longshot to be including in any package involving a quality player coming the other way, IMO) and Sheary would likely include some pretty nice future assets. I mean... if we want back a player like Brassard. And with the Sens... I dunno how interested they are in taking on salary/cap.

I know I'm in the minority on this. And I completely understand and respect the rejoinder to this argument but we are getting on down the road on the Sid/Geno era and their window. I had to watch years of MISERABLE Penguins hockey. An embarrassment, truly. I get that everyone is all-in and resigned to the team simply blowing ass for years after those two retire or whatever. But I'm not, really. It would be nice to start stockpiling some future of our own.

If the team were still playing like they were before the New Year or showing glaring signs of major trouble, I'd feel a bit different. But they aren't so I don't.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
This won’t happen. Mainly because JR isn’t moving out that many roster pieces.

Sheahan won’t be moved.
Sheahan likely wouldn't be moved, not impossible though if we can upgrade, but generally speaking I agree. But Hunwick or Rowney, yeah those two could very likely be moved.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Yeah, this is a really good point to consider too. There's a fine line between adding a piece to help your team win and changing too much on your team. The team is 15-4-1 in their last 20 games. Do you really want to make huge changes at this point? It's something you have to consider, is it even necessary to make such huge changes when your team is on a roll?

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad