Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building (Cap Details in First Post) | All Your Base Are Belong to Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Penguins Acquire Forward Joseph Blandisi from the Anaheim Ducks

Blandisi is signed through the end of the regular season, and he carries an average annual value of $680,000 at the NHL level. He will be a restricted free agent this summer. He will be joining the Penguins in Arizona on Thursday.

Hes playing on Friday, i guess no Teddy.

Maybe JR saw how slow the Pens looked against the Sharks and wanted to add some speed.

If we’re slow, and I think we are, it’s his own doing...we’ve been trying to get bigger, slower and less skilled and I have no idea why...

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Well, reference the Henrique conversation, only with an extra million shaved off (which does help a decent amount). Exact same argument. Personally, ZAR vs Pearson... I don't mind all that much, but I do like the depth, and that makes me reluctant

Would I do it? Probably not. Would Rutherford? I'm not sure, he's been reluctant to tie up too much in 3C to date... but I don't think I can rule it out.

I think it depends on what you can get for Pearson. Can you get a $1.5 million bottom-6 LWer that can challenge ZAR for a top-9 spot? At that point, I'd rather move Pearson and have ZAR, Kessel, that traded guy and Blandisi as my bottom-6 wingers. Can they only do a salary for salary swap? I'd rather keep Pearson at that point. I think regardless of what direction you go with your 3C, you should be exploring this question because I'm not sure that Pearson is worth $3.75 million to this team.

Wait - people WANT Wennberg? Dude is trash and is a higher cap hit than Brassard. 1 goal in 46 games. 8 all of last year.

No, it's just a move that people are expecting the Penguins to make.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think it depends on what you can get for Pearson. Can you get a $1.5 million bottom-6 LWer that can challenge ZAR for a top-9 spot? At that point, I'd rather move Pearson and have ZAR, Kessel, that traded guy and Blandisi as my bottom-6 wingers. Can they only do a salary for salary swap? I'd rather keep Pearson at that point. I think regardless of what direction you go with your 3C, you should be exploring this question because I'm not sure that Pearson is worth $3.75 million to this team.

Only with a well targeted gamble that has the other team kicking themselves afterwards.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Only with a well targeted gamble that has the other team kicking themselves afterwards.

I don't think another team would be kicking themselves after that kind of move. Pearson is a solid player, I just don't know if he's worth his money to the Penguins. For a team like Edmonton? He'd be a great addition for their 2nd line. I just question if Pearson is worth $3.75 million to a team that has strong wing depth.

I think if you'd trade Pearson to Colorado for Nieto is an example of a deal that would work well for both sides. The Penguins save about $2 million and get a solid bottom-6 winger, and the Avalanche get an upgrade to their 2nd line LW.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't think another team would be kicking themselves after that kind of move. Pearson is a solid player, I just don't know if he's worth his money to the Penguins. For a team like Edmonton? He'd be a great addition for their 2nd line. I just question if Pearson is worth $3.75 million to a team that has strong wing depth.

I think if you'd trade Pearson to Colorado for Nieto is an example of a deal that would work well for both sides. The Penguins save about $2 million and get a solid bottom-6 winger, and the Avalanche get an upgrade to their 2nd line LW.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but in my book if the guy is challenging for a top 9 spot with ZAR like you say, then the guy is going to be showing he's more than a solid bottom 6 winger.

And if that isn't the case, I feel like you're hurting your wing depth unnecessarily and the reward elsewhere better be worth it.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Jenner, Faksa and Lowry are the type of players we should be looking at. Wennbergs cap hit is dicey. We'll see I guess.

Reactions: Shady Machine

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Brassard+ for Jenner.

Jake Sid Hornqvist
Jenner Malkin Kessel
Pearson 3c Rust
Cullen Sheahan Simon

Use Jarry and Oleksiak to get a better fit at 3c

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Why are we moving Pearson?

He’s Hagelin level defensive (minus the PK) on pace for 20 goals at 3.75 for the next couple years.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
So players that aren’t on the market. Cool.
Well, should we just give Brassard away for a piece we don't necessarily need? You gotta give to get. And I don't think JR is just gonna jettison Brassard if he doesn't get his price met. Nor should he.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Brassard+ for Jenner.

Jake Sid Hornqvist
Jenner Malkin Kessel
Pearson 3c Rust
Cullen Sheahan Simon

Use Jarry and Oleksiak to get a better fit at 3c
Jarry and Oleksiak wouldn't bring back much I don't believe. Not anyone of repute anyhow.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

He’s Hagelin level defensive (minus the PK) on pace for 20 goals at 3.75 for the next couple years.

Because of that number right there. He has a good contract and is definitely a very useful middle-6 forward. But on a team that is spending $3.5 million or more on all of Guentzel, Rust, Hornqvist and Kessel? The problem isn't Pearson's play or Pearson's contract, it's Pearson's contract in the context of who else is on the Penguins.

I really like Pearson and I don't want to move him, but something has to give in this wing group. Even with Simon at a $750k cap hit, you're spending $26.1 million between your top-9 wingers for next year, and that will only go up when Simon needs his extension. Not only that, but the Penguins have the young wingers (mainly ZAR and I'm intrigued by Blandisi) who have the potential to be effective top-9 wingers for a cheaper cost.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

Hes not a Hagelin level defender but he is producing when not battling an injury. So if we are to assume that 1 point in 13 game stretch was injury related he has score 12 points in the other 17 games. So likely somwhere between the 35 point pace he is on and the 58 point pace if you remove the playing injured time.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but in my book if the guy is challenging for a top 9 spot with ZAR like you say, then the guy is going to be showing he's more than a solid bottom 6 winger.

And if that isn't the case, I feel like you're hurting your wing depth unnecessarily and the reward elsewhere better be worth it.

You're not "hurting your wing depth unnecessarily", you're reallocating funds from a position of strength towards a position of weakness. It is really questionable to have 5 wingers making $3.5 million or more when you also have multiple young guys on cheap contracts that are producing at top-9 rates. It's not a problem if you're not hurting the other areas of your team, but having to settle at a 3C instead of getting someone stronger is hurting other areas of your team.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Wait - people WANT Wennberg? Dude is trash and is a higher cap hit than Brassard. 1 goal in 46 games. 8 all of last year.

I think Wennberg is an ok player
But the fact he plays for Cbus is a no go for JR

When is the last time he traded with a division rival? And JR makes a BUNCH of trades. This isn't happening, full stop

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Well, should we just give Brassard away for a piece we don't necessarily need? You gotta give to get. And I don't think JR is just gonna jettison Brassard if he doesn't get his price met. Nor should he.

If we are moving Brassard we aren’t get a top tier 3C. It’ll be like the Perron deal. A severely underperforming player with a bad contract or raw futures.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Hes not a Hagelin level defender but he is producing when not battling an injury. So if we are to assume that 1 point in 13 game stretch was injury related he has score 12 points in the other 17 games. So likely somwhere between the 35 point pace he is on and the 58 point pace if you remove the playing injured time.

I suggest focusing on Pearson’s game. He is an amazing defensive player. Nearly always is back when a D pinches and constantly making subtle pick and stick plays. Makes sense given where he entered the league.

Reactions: Still Apps

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Because of that number right there. He has a good contract and is definitely a very useful middle-6 forward. But on a team that is spending $3.5 million or more on all of Guentzel, Rust, Hornqvist and Kessel? The problem isn't Pearson's play or Pearson's contract, it's Pearson's contract in the context of who else is on the Penguins.

I really like Pearson and I don't want to move him, but something has to give in this wing group. Even with Simon at a $750k cap hit, you're spending $26.1 million between your top-9 wingers for next year, and that will only go up when Simon needs his extension. Not only that, but the Penguins have the young wingers (mainly ZAR and I'm intrigued by Blandisi) who have the potential to be effective top-9 wingers for a cheaper cost.

I don’t see any issue with moving forward with Jake - Simon - Pearson and Rust - Hornqvist - Kessel for the foreseeable future and making our 4th line cost nothing. Losing Sheahan’s cash as well as moving out a defensive like Maatta is much preferred than decimating our LW depth even further for an overpriced 3C.

I think you’re basically screwed on the 3C situation and you try to resolve it with Maatta + at the draft or keep our first and hopefully move up and draft an NHL ready bottom six C.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Jarry and Oleksiak wouldn't bring back much I don't believe. Not anyone of repute anyhow.

We have someone in that spot now that is “of repute” and it isn’t working. Maybe we just need “better than Sheahan” in that spot instead of the best available 2c we can find. Jarry and Oleksiak for Sobotka is something I think Buffalo would do. It’s an overpayment from the Pens in my view but I believe that Jarry doesn’t have a long term future here anymore and I think Sobotka would be a much better fit as 3c

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don’t see any issue with moving forward with Jake - Simon - Pearson and Rust - Hornqvist - Kessel for the foreseeable future and making our 4th line cost nothing. Losing Sheahan’s cash as well as moving out a defensive like Maatta is much preferred than decimating our LW depth even further for an overpriced 3C.

How is it "decimating our LW depth" by trading Pearson and replacing him in the top-9 with ZAR, who's producing nearly identical to Pearson this year? And is it really worth keeping ridiculous wing depth if you're limited to having Sheahan type reclamation projects as your 3C?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
How is it "decimating our LW depth" by trading Pearson and replacing him in the top-9 with ZAR, who's producing nearly identical to Pearson this year? And is it really worth keeping ridiculous wing depth if you're limited to having Sheahan type reclamation projects as your 3C?

ZAR is on pace for 16 goals and has a small sample size. If you’re confident ZAR is a twenty goal scorer, I understand your argument.

I am not at all. With the right fit I could see Pearson being a 40-50 pt guy here. He’s 26 and cost controlled, I’m not moving that if I don’t have to.

Reactions: Still Apps and Peat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese