Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building (Cap Details in First Post) | All Your Base Are Belong to Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

6rqbYKi.jpg

From CapFriendly
AHL thread is here. Links to 2018 draft pick threads and QO information are in the first post.
Hagelin - Pearson trade thread is here.
Hagelin appreciation thread is here.
Sprong trade thread is here.
Guentzel signing thread is here.
DeSmith signing thread is here.

Last edited:

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
When Schultz comes back (and everyone else is healthy), do the pens need to make a move or will they be cap compliant?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
When Schultz comes back (and everyone else is healthy), do the pens need to make a move or will they be cap compliant?

We’re good. We won’t keep 9 D men though so expect a trade or Ruhwedel sent down. Riikola will pass waivers (I believe) but he’s too good to go down.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Ferland would be a good get depending on the price of course. But if he comes in is Simon a permanent fixture on RW?

Also we need to get Brassard the hell out of here, and need a quality depth center in his place. Preferably a RHS if possible. Both are doable but not necessarily easy.

Ferland played RW with Gaudreau and Monahan and is now playing RW with Teravainen and Aho. Seems like it actually might be more accurate to list him as such. But I doubt he has any issue playing the opposite wing.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Would people be willing to run with Hornqvist on the 4th line when everyone is healthy if the Penguins acquire Ferland? You'll be looking at:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Pearson-Malkin-Simon
Ferland-Brassard-Kessel
ZAR-Cullen-Hornqvist

Sure, your first guess may be that Hornqvist wouldn't like 4th line ice time, but he'd still be getting top PP unit time and regular shifts in the top-9.

It’s funny even without Sprong we are too loaded on RW. I imagine this is what needs to happen, Pearson - Kessel just doesn’t fit. I could see you running Ferland - Malkin - Kessel. The f*** Marry Kill line.

Simon - Brassard - Hornqvist as the 3rd line sounds good to me or follow what you outlined and put Horny on the 4th.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
What are your thoughts about Nashville? Bonino and Jarnkrok. There is Sissons too but I doubt they’d trade him.

For NSH specifically atm, nothing really makes sense unless you're trading Phil to them.
Does a UFA Brassard get you Bonino or Jarnkrok?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
For NSH specifically atm, nothing really makes sense unless you're trading Phil to them.

No. Unless they want to gamble on Brassard as their 2C for the season for Bonino. That makes some sense as Turris is struggling offensively. Brassard is too but probably more situationally than anything.

Jarnkrok can play wing so he’d be out I imagine.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The way he's currently playing I tend to doubt it. He's been pretty uninspiring since he's come here.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
No. Unless they want to gamble on Brassard as their 2C for the season for Bonino. That makes some sense as Turris is struggling offensively. Brassard is too but probably more situationally than anything.

Jarnkrok can play wing so he’d be out I imagine.

If we got Bonino back.. Pearson - Bonino - Kessel would be insane. Bonino is on pace for 34 points playing 70% d zone starts. Doubt Nash trades him.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
bringing this over from the off day thread

Peat said:
It's not though. The difference in his 5v5 numbers between here and Toronto is stark. You can get a lot more out of him. We could definitely get a lot more out of him if we could afford to give him Bozak and JVR again and I suspect a different system might help too.

Eh, he averaged 48 ES points a year in Toronto vs 44 here. That includes scaling the 2012-2013 season up to 82 games. Am I missing something? Hell, if he keeps his current pace up this year he'll be averaging 46 as a Penguin. Considering he was the focal point of the team in Toronto, I'd say that's a smaller drop than I'd have even expected.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
bringing this over from the off day thread

Eh, he averaged 48 ES points a year in Toronto vs 44 here. That includes scaling the 2012-2013 season up to 82 games. Am I missing something? Hell, if he keeps his current pace up this year he'll be averaging 46 as a Penguin. Considering he was the focal point of the team in Toronto, I'd say that's a smaller drop than I'd have even expected.

I was talking about his peak, not his whole career there. His Toronto peak (2011-14), he had an ES pace of 58 points and was the NHL leader (albeit thanks to a lot of injuries). 58 vs 44 is a big deal. The why and acceptability of this is a matter for debate, but I don't think the fact that we haven't seen the best of him at ES is.

And yes, a lot of it is about being the focal point vs not being the focal point. See my comments about his linemate quality. Hell, look at this season, probably about to be his best at ES here, and compare the amount of time he's spent with Sid & Geno to previous seasons. And that is definitely inevitable and something we just have to accept. And by accept, I mean "pretty much never think about because we're too busy pinching ourselves that Kessel is merely our third best forward and sweet jesus we're loaded." But I'm not convinced that it's all of it... although I suppose the fact that I'm questioning system, and our system suits Sid more than anyone else on the team, does kinda come back to being the focal point.

edit: I should point out this is more a wistful regret than anything. Whether Phil is hitting his best doesn't factor into whether to trade him, unless that factors into other teams' offers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ogrezilla

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think we pretty much assume that between Murray, Desmith, and Jarry - Jarry appears to be the odd man out. Waiver eligible next year, he's a prime trade piece. Lots of people connecting us to Ferland. I think Carolina and Pittsburgh make a lot of sense as trade partners.

Jarry for Ferland as a base seems pretty fair. Carolina has a lot of other quality assets that could also be a part of it.

Jarry+2nd for Ferland+Gauthier/McKeown/Saarela? I could also see Carolina being high on Simon. He would fit that core moving forward very well. Wonder if something like Jarry+Simon+2nd for Ferland+Fleury/Bean could be workable?

If we got Bonino back.. Pearson - Bonino - Kessel would be insane. Bonino is on pace for 34 points playing 70% d zone starts. Doubt Nash trades him.

Insane based on what?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
As long as Simon is on a budget contract, his name should only be mentioned in trade discussions if we're getting a real difference maker back. We're talking Pesce/Hamilton/Faulk on that Carolina roster. Not Ferland.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
As long as Simon is on a budget contract, his name should only be mentioned in trade discussions if we're getting a real difference maker back. We're talking Pesce/Hamilton/Faulk on that Carolina roster. Not Ferland.

Yeah as much as I like Simon, he's not fetching any of those guys. I get your point though and I do agree.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah as much as I like Simon, he's not fetching any of those guys. I get your point though and I do agree.

Not 1 on 1, but he could be a significant package piece in the unlikely event they go for package. Still, whether he can get them or not wasn't the main thrust of the point there.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
We’re good. We won’t keep 9 D men though so expect a trade or Ruhwedel sent down. Riikola will pass waivers (I believe) but he’s too good to go down.

Riiko is waiver exempt for this full season according to CF.

JR needs to put all the trash now up for sale.
Brass, Sheahan, Rig to name the headliners(my list would include Olli and JJ too but you know...)
See if you can pull off '16 style upgrades.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Riiko is waiver exempt for this full season according to CF.

JR needs to put all the trash now up for sale.
Brass, Sheahan, Rig to name the headliners(my list would include Olli and JJ too but you know...)
See if you can pull off '16 style upgrades.

The other benefit to not waiting until TDL, if you want to make moves, is time to get players comfortable. 20+ games is better than 15ish.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Do we keep Jarry now that DeSmith has been signed? Maybe keep him as insurance for when Murray inevitably gets hurt? He probably isn’t worth much at this point; I guess we would need to include him in a package trade with someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad