Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building (Cap Details in First Post) | All Your Base Are Belong to Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I think this is the first stage of multiple moves for JR.

Creates a tiny bit more roster flexibility with a guy who can go down to the AHL without clearing waivers.

From the sounds of it, Blandisi doesn't sound like he's going to be an NHLer for us. Maybe JR is just clearing a roster spot for another move?

Hard to say really.
Could be that JR was gonna waive Grant at some point with the deals he's gonna make so instead of losing him for nothing, he picks up a guy he can shove down in the AHL with no worries.

As for Blandisi. Nothing real special but provides more speed. Bit of a pest.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
ZAR definitely isn’t and Hornqvist should definitely not be allowed to play before our bye week.

Maybe it was the Ducks who initiated the call so we just did it now and liked Blandisi for the AHL.

Not sure if Blandisi qualifies, but there's also that rule where a player who has already passed through waivers can be kept up for 9 games before having to pass through waivers again. Maybe that's the case with Blandisi, and that 9 game stretch will coincide with how long they expect Horny to be out.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Not sure if Blandisi qualifies, but there's also that rule where a player who has already passed through waivers can be kept up for 9 games before having to pass through waivers again. Maybe that's the case with Blandisi, and that 9 game stretch will coincide with how long they expect Horny to be out.

Yeah once you’ve gone through waivers you don’t have to again until 10 games or 30 days in the NHL.

He might just be in also because he’s so close and it’ll be just for these two games. Or the unlikely scenario we call someone else up as well or make another trade tomorrow.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sounds like the Pens beat reporters are all talking like it's WHEN and not IF Brassard gets dealt.

If that's the case, hopefully it's sooner rather than later. Nothing more distracting for a club than someone on the roster who knows they're 100% gone at some point.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Sounds like the Pens beat reporters are all talking like it's WHEN and not IF Brassard gets dealt.

If that's the case, hopefully it's sooner rather than later. Nothing more distracting for a club than someone on the roster who knows they're 100% gone at some point.
I think it's been a forgone conclusion since earlier in the day vs the Sharks that Brassard is gone and it's a matter if when and not if. He's gone as soon as the stupid old f***er can figure something out.

Reactions: EightyOne

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Just don't sell low on Brassard. Even though he's struggled here his value should be pretty solid. Hopefully JR picks the right dancing partner and whichever player he brings in will be a much better fit.

Reactions: Shady Machine

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Just don't sell low on Brassard. Even though he's struggled here his value should be pretty solid. Hopefully JR picks the right dancing partner and whichever player he brings in will be a much better fit.
And if sid/geno get hurt and hes played in their roles, he’ll produce better than Sheahan or Cullen. Only move him if you really need to or can get a D upgrade.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
And if sid/geno get hurt and hes played in their roles, he’ll produce better than Sheahan or Cullen. Only move him if you really need to or can get a D upgrade.

Meh. The Brass @ 3C experiment has failed.
Schultz coming back isn't gonna magically turn this roster into the CorsiFor beast '16 Pens.
JR needs to do some surgery.
Start with the most sought after expendable piece on the roster and go from there.

Not saying it's all gonna work out either but he's gotta try.
Sid, G, Brass C'ing hasn't been good enough.
If Sid or G go down with Brass here, it still won't be good enough.

Your scalpel is ready, JR.
Get to work.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
This makes me think that we aren't trading Sheahan.

Think it just means he's over Grant on the depth chart.
No biggie there as long as you get a 3C and fully healthy it's:

Jake-Sid-Rust/Horny
Simon-G-Horny/Rust
Pearson-New3C-Phil
Sheahan-Cullen-ZAR

Assuming the New3C is a regular PK'er and you trade Big Rig for a depth/2-way winger, Sheahan could potentially drop to #13...

If the new 3C takes Sheahan's pk'ing role over completely, i prefer to ship him out tho...

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Pens center issues solved:

Crosby
Brassard
Malkin
Cullen

You know, it actually may look a touch better if Brass had G's minutes/role atm. Heh.
Still ain't good enough to contend tho...

Blandisi had an interesting stint in New Jersey a few seasons ago. Not sure what happened to him.

Think he deffo upgrades the speed quotient. He has a little pest in him as well.
ANA just had a glut of role playing speedy pest types like Gibbons and Sherwood.

For me, Blandisi gives JR another DiPauli type player who doesn't get injured as much to insert into the lineup. If nothing else changes between now and the next game, i hope they run him on the 3rd line and boot Sheahan to the 4th.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So am I the only one expecting the Penguins to trade Brassard straight up for Wenneberg in the next few day? Because that seems very similar to the Perron for Hagelin or Hagelin for Pearson trades, and that's what I imagine JR is going to be trying to do.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
So am I the only one expecting the Penguins to trade Brassard straight up for Wenneberg in the next few day? Because that seems very similar to the Perron for Hagelin or Hagelin for Pearson trades, and that's what I imagine JR is going to be trying to do.
I still dont believe they will trade within division. Even if its a sound trade for both teams, theres just too much risk .

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

Doubt Wennberg would be the C JR would want from CBJ judging by his usage.

Last edited:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
ETA:
To add on to why Blandisi was expendable to ANA, they have players like Terry, Steel, Comtois, etc. coming soon.
I think JR liked the idea of getting Blandisi as a depth winger cuz he brings things like DiPauli, Johnson bring with some speed/some skill/some pestiness vs hanging on to Grant the rest of the season when he has Dea and Blueger. He probably didn't like what he was seeing with Sheahan on 3LW either.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I don't really buy this, I don't think JR believes that the Penguins need a defensive 3C as much as fans do. I completely believe that he'd target Wenneberg because he targeted Brassard for the 3C spot a year ago. He just likes good players.

The good thing about Wenneberg is that he also kills penalties, so he brings something to the table in all situations. I'm not sure how good defensively he is, but killing penalties is a positive and he's dangerous offensively on the PK.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

If usage bothered Rutherford, Brassard wouldn't have come here to begin with. I can see him doubling down and betting on a bounce back in production from Wennberg.

What I can't see is CBJ cutting bait so quickly on Wennberg for Brassard.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I don't really buy this, I don't think JR believes that the Penguins need a defensive 3C as much as fans do. I completely believe that he'd target Wenneberg because he targeted Brassard for the 3C spot a year ago. He just likes good players.

The good thing about Wenneberg is that he also kills penalties, so he brings something to the table in all situations. I'm not sure how good defensively he is, but killing penalties is a positive and he's dangerous offensively on the PK.

Well Brass atleast had even starts DZ/OZ with OTT and had some PK experience before coming here.
Wenneberg's a soft 2C, softer than Brass so i doubt JR would want him.
As a poster said above, don't see JR dealing with CBJ anyway.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Well Brass atleast had even starts DZ/OZ with OTT and had some PK experience before coming here.
Wenneberg's a soft 2C, softer than Brass so i doubt JR would want him.
As a poster said above, don't see JR dealing with CBJ anyway.

Wennberg kills penalties and has done so more often than Brassard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad