Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building (Cap Details in First Post) | All Your Base Are Belong to Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
ZAR is on pace for 16 goals and has a small sample size. If you’re confident ZAR is a twenty goal scorer, I understand your argument.

I am not at all. With the right fit I could see Pearson being a 40-50 pt guy here.

I'm confident that ZAR would be able to hit 15 goals and 30 points if he'd play the entire season in the top-9. I'm also confident that Pearson would hit 20 goals and 40 points in the top-9 over a full season. I just question whether those extra 5 goals, 10 points and strong defensive play is worth $3 million more when you really need to reallocate some money for your 3rd line center.

If we're being completely honest, the easy solution to me is trading Hornqvist. If I could trade anyone from the top-9 wing group, Hornqvist would be the first guy for me. I know I'll get some push back on that, but I'm firm on thinking that. That obviously won't happen, so you have to look at other options. They won't trade Guentzel, they shouldn't trade Rust and I don't want Kessel moved out as long as he's a 90 point winger.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I suggest focusing on Pearson’s game. He is an amazing defensive player. Nearly always is back when a D pinches and constantly making subtle pick and stick plays. Makes sense given where he entered the league.

Oh come on, hyperbole much. Id go as far as calling him good defensively but hes not a shutdown guy or a game changer.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm confident that ZAR would be able to hit 15 goals and 30 points if he'd play the entire season in the top-9. I'm also confident that Pearson would hit 20 goals and 40 points in the top-9 over a full season. I just question whether those extra 5 goals, 10 points and strong defensive play is worth $3 million more when you really need to reallocate some money for your 3rd line center.

If we're being completely honest, the easy solution to me is trading Hornqvist. If I could trade anyone from the top-9 wing group, Hornqvist would be the first guy for me. I know I'll get some push back on that, but I'm firm on thinking that. That obviously won't happen, so you have to look at other options. They won't trade Guentzel, they shouldn't trade Rust and I don't want Kessel moved out as long as he's a 90 point winger.

I think the obvious moves this summer are to hope you can get a 40-50 pt RW and a 1st for Kessel to loosen the cap or hope you can move Maatta for a traditional 3C.

I’d be interested in a Maatta for Roslo type deal.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
At everything outside of scoring yes. Pearson is a step back in those areas but two steps forward in tangible offense.

He’s really not. Overrating of a utility player during a cup run. Pearson played that exact role for the Kings in 2014.

Main point is I’m not trading a 26 year old on a solid deal for cap reasons. Especially with our lack of LW options.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think the obvious moves this summer are to hope you can get a 40-50 pt RW for Kessel to loosen the cap or hope you can move Maatta for a traditional 3C.

I’d be interested in a Maatta for Roslo type.

As long as Kessel is producing like he is, I don't want to trade him. With the addition of Pearson and Guentzel's continued growth as a player, I feel like Hornqvist is much more easily replaced than Kessel right now. It also allows your wing combos to be Guentzel-Rust, Pearson-Simon (which I've really liked with Malkin) and ZAR-Kessel, all 3 of which have 2 wingers who complement each other super well.

I also don't think trading Maatta without bringing back another defenseman is necessarily a good move, unless Schultz comes back strong and Pettersson and Schultz can make a strong 2nd pair. I like the defense right now with Riikola as the #7 and Maatta-Schultz as the 2nd pair, I would rather not mess with that unless you're getting someone better than Maatta.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
He’s really not. Overrating of a utility player during a cup run. Pearson played that exact role for the Kings in 2014.

Coming from the guy who thought Bonino was irreplaceable and elite defender. Good lord, irony much.

Pearson isnt as good defensively IMO period. Nothing else in this nonsense is relevant. I mean im glad we have him because hes kuch better at producing points.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

Horny is one of the LAST guys on the team I'd move. I think the West Coast trip proved how much space he opens up. And I'm not talking about hitting...I'm talking about his IQ

We haven't even started to talk about his value on the PP as the net front guy- he's the best in the league

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Not sure what the Pens and Jackets would be swapping if that went down. Like we better not get Riley Nash. Dude has been trash this year. No thanks.

Panarin? Cool but JR better have a C trade lined up right after. And that one is a pure rental.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Coming from the guy who thought Bonino was irreplaceable and elite defender. Good lord, irony much.

Pearson isnt as good defensively IMO period. Nothing else in this nonsense is relevant. I mean im glad we have him because hes kuch better at producing points.

Bonino is a premier 3C in the league and great defensively. Not really sure you’re evaluation is correct on either of these players.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
As long as Kessel is producing like he is, I don't want to trade him. With the addition of Pearson and Guentzel's continued growth as a player, I feel like Hornqvist is much more easily replaced than Kessel right now. It also allows your wing combos to be Guentzel-Rust, Pearson-Simon (which I've really liked with Malkin) and ZAR-Kessel, all 3 of which have 2 wingers who complement each other super well.

I also don't think trading Maatta without bringing back another defenseman is necessarily a good move, unless Schultz comes back strong and Pettersson and Schultz can make a strong 2nd pair. I like the defense right now with Riikola as the #7 and Maatta-Schultz as the 2nd pair, I would rather not mess with that unless you're getting someone better than Maatta.

I hate those line combinations. They remind me of the 2014-15 Pens.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I mean, everyones still moveable for me outside of Sid, G, Letang and Murray now. ETA: Oops and Jake.
Call me and make an offer...

^was in response to if one would move Pearson or not

I'm into changing the identity again right now.
After Brassard, hopefully Rig's gone soon after then i wanna get Sheahan and Olli outta here.

I'm praying JR doesn't send Riiko out. Him, MP and JJ are fine for #5-7 atm.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I mean, everyones still moveable for me outside of Sid, G, Letang and Murray now. ETA: Oops and Jake.
Call me and make an offer...

^was in response to if one would move Pearson or not

I'm into changing the identity again right now.
After Brassard, hopefully Rig's gone soon after then i wanna get Sheahan and Olli outta here.

I mean sure. Offer real pieces for Pearson and I’d move him. But, I imagine with what we had to pay for him, he wouldn’t get much.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
You're not "hurting your wing depth unnecessarily", you're reallocating funds from a position of strength towards a position of weakness. It is really questionable to have 5 wingers making $3.5 million or more when you also have multiple young guys on cheap contracts that are producing at top-9 rates. It's not a problem if you're not hurting the other areas of your team, but having to settle at a 3C instead of getting someone stronger is hurting other areas of your team.

I don't see not spending 5-6m on 3C as settling. If anything, I see it as a good way to avoid the frustration we'd have with Brassard and Bonino all over again.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Ugh what?

Bonino and Cullen basically started every single D-zone start on the way to a cup in 2017. He currently is 3C on the best defensive team in the league.

He’s a great shutdown C.

Most 3cs get heavy d assignments it doesnt make them all elite defenders.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Bonino is a premier 3C in the league and great defensively. Not really sure you’re evaluation is correct on either of these players.

Your entire evaluation of Bonino revolves around a 20-30 game sample where he did well with Hagelin and Kessel. We are all appreciative of HBK, but youve molded that into something its not. That was a synergized line. Repeatability of that is tremendously difficult. They tried it and it failed, rather miserably, in 2017. Now youve been pouting for a season and a half after Bonino chose the Preds and not the Penguins.

Not sure you have ANY grounds to criticize others for their player evaluations.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Your entire evaluation of Bonino revolves around a 20-30 game sample where he did well with Hagelin and Kessel. We are all appreciative of HBK, but youve molded that into something its not. That was a synergized line. Repeatability of that is tremendously difficult. They tried it and it failed, rather miserably, in 2017. Now youve been pouting for a season and a half after Bonino chose the Preds and not the Penguins.

Not sure you have ANY grounds to criticize others for their player evaluations.

Yeah, my whole evaluation of Bonino is based on HBK when I’m clearly citing his performance in 2017 and with Nashville as reasons he is sound defensively.

I get it, Bonino isn’t that good. Yet our management has been desperately grasping at straws for his replacement for nearly two years now burning multiple assets for it.

Last edited:

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Bonino isn’t very good, but he is good. He’ll give you 30 ish points with pretty wretched Dzone deployment and will be a valuable PKer who can sometimes pop-off offensively due to decent vision and puck skills.

You cannot take HBK away from him, guys like Sheahan and Sutter ain’t producing like that no matter what. Even good, standard defensive 3Cs like Lowry aren’t dropping 19 points in a playoff run no matter the circumstance.

Reactions: WheresRamziAbid

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
So any chance the Wild trade Eric Staal? I'd gladly ship them Brassard and ? for him. The cap hit works well too he's only a 3.5M cap hit. It would have to be a sign and trade, i.e. brassard agrees to extend, and we add a sweetner.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't see not spending 5-6m on 3C as settling. If anything, I see it as a good way to avoid the frustration we'd have with Brassard and Bonino all over again.

No, you're limited to about $3 million at most without making any other moves. That's the problem, you're settling on your 3C because your best case scenario is getting a reclamation project like Sheahan or getting 2 years of someone like Bonino. This isn't about being greedy with the 3C, it's about the 3C being a massive hole going forward and you don't have the cap space to address it.

Horny is one of the LAST guys on the team I'd move. I think the West Coast trip proved how much space he opens up. And I'm not talking about hitting...I'm talking about his IQ

We haven't even started to talk about his value on the PP as the net front guy- he's the best in the league

And I think the team agrees. So who are you moving to give us more cap space to get a strong 3C? You have to take money from somewhere else to be able to afford a 3C, because right now, you have about $2 million to spend on one.

I hate those line combinations. They remind me of the 2014-15 Pens.

How are those combinations bad? How do they remind you of the 2014-2015 Penguins? They're exactly what the Penguins have been running with recently, but with ZAR in place of Sheahan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->