Saginaw Spirit 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
OHL Insider was claiming trade in the works but everything has gone quiet......hmmmmm

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
OHL Insider was claiming trade in the works but everything has gone quiet......hmmmmm
He was right about Porco. It was turned into a bigger trade. Hope Insider is correct we need a boost of offense. Already 25% of the season is gone an infusion of talent never hurt.
Is their any insight as too which team(s)?

Bag O Pucks

Sep 13, 2019
Anyone heard any rumors or speculation on Bode Wilde? As far as I can tell he’s on Bridgeport’s roster but still has yet to play a game. After such a long rehab time it seems to me another year in jrs might do him some good?

Slap Shot Rick

Apr 1, 2015
Anyone heard any rumors or speculation on Bode Wilde? As far as I can tell he’s on Bridgeport’s roster but still has yet to play a game. After such a long rehab time it seems to me another year in jrs might do him some good?

I was told that he cannot be assigned here until he's fully recovered from his injury, and no one is even sure when that'll be. For now everyone is just waiting for a decision from the Islanders,

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
I was told that he cannot be assigned here until he's fully recovered from his injury, and no one is even sure when that'll be. For now everyone is just waiting for a decision from the Islanders,

I really doubt you will see him back. They want their investment close by doing strength training, conditioning and totally monitoring his rehab. They weren't too happy with how he was injured here.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Not sure why he cannot be reassigned while injured? Foudy was sent back to the Knights while still on IR. Also Valardi was sent back to Kingston last year on IR and never played a game for them.

Bag O Pucks

Sep 13, 2019
I really doubt you will see him back. They want their investment close by doing strength training, conditioning and totally monitoring his rehab. They weren't too happy with how he was injured here.
I didn’t realize his injury happened here with questionable circumstances.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
DD has to be brain storming his next moves we need 2 quality C/F and a top 4 D. The team then becomes a top contender with some guys under acheiving this will get them back on track. To lose Ivan and Bode hurts but it is all rectified with some good trades. This is the year.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
I watched the World U17s and both Punnett and Bloom faired quite well. Really think Laz needs to give these guys a chance. Punnett has only dress for half the games and Bloom has played very limited minutes on 4th line. We took both of these guys in the first 2 rounds and haven't seen what they are capable of doing yet.

03HockeyFan

Mar 5, 2019
Interesting. First and foremost, U17 is just that - U17. Not the same as the broader age range you have within the OHL.

Has your opinion changed on Punnett? Just a few weeks ago you were ready to trade him away, now he is an underutilized gem. You're also very bullish on Bloom. If you're a parent or relative, you should probably open up about that so that people on the forum are aware of the bias. All good, but people should be aware of the position you're coming from when you make assessments of players, line recommendations, etc.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Nope.....I'm bullish on both. My comments on Punnett were based on the fact that Saginaw isn't using him hardly at all. They started to a little more over the last few weeks so that may have changed. Also, only reason I mentioned trading Punnett was that we are allowed to trade 1st round picks only so that other rookies (Bloom, Mancini, Codd) are off base. I would trade him tomorrow if it got us a first line centre which we need. I'm not a fan of any team making their rookies sit and barely play. My kids are older but I never would have let one go to London or any other teams with that mentality.....it is not what you can do it is what year you were born. Moreover, we want them all to play so we can see what they can do, if we don't then how will we know what we have and what we need for next year. It only logical.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Nope.....I'm bullish on both. My comments on Punnett were based on the fact that Saginaw isn't using him hardly at all. They started to a little more over the last few weeks so that may have changed. Also, only reason I mentioned trading Punnett was that we are allowed to trade 1st round picks only so that other rookies (Bloom, Mancini, Codd) are off base. I would trade him tomorrow if it got us a first line centre which we need. I'm not a fan of any team making their rookies sit and barely play. My kids are older but I never would have let one go to London or any other teams with that mentality.....it is not what you can do it is what year you were born. Moreover, we want them all to play so we can see what they can do, if we don't then how will we know what we have and what we need for next year. It only logical.

Yeah, I've seen some scouts talking on twitter that with more teams becoming competitive for PT unless you're a stud 16 year old Jr A or B is your best bet in your rookie season.

Something seems up with Punnett, I dont know if there is a philosipy difference, a conditioning issue, or what that is leading to his below average ice time. I bet we move him for a big asset at the trade deadline.

As for Bloom hes going to be a good one when he puts it all together. I think next year his ice time skyrockets, but right now just to many vets that play thier role better than he can at this stage.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
I agree with you to a point......still of the mindset you have to keep them in the lineup and play them. I'm not talking about top 2 line minutes but at least a few shifts per period. We have some very unproductive players wasting lost of shifts why not throw some to the rookies and second year guys and see what they have.

As for Punnett, he probably will be trade for two reasons (1) He is a first rounder and will be a good player in the years to come and (2) I don't think DD expected to get the play from Solovyov that he is (way better than expected) as well as Mancini and Smith playing strong.

You wont trade Soloyov. You cant trade Mancini. Probably wouldn't trade Smith (local boy/no trade clause). That leaves Punnett really being the only option for trade bait.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
This is the year.

Then you have to make the moves. I don’t see any Western Team that is strong enough to sit back with what they have and come out of the West. Especially when you know 1-3 teams I would say are going to buy big? I think London, Flint and possibly Windsor (if they are for real will buy). Saginaw then in turn have to if they want to stay competitive?

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Then you have to make the moves. I don’t see any Western Team that is strong enough to sit back with what they have and come out of the West. Especially when you know 1-3 teams I would say are going to buy big? I think London, Flint and possibly Windsor (if they are for real will buy). Saginaw then in turn have to if they want to stay competitive?
DD is in charge of his own team. I just put my 2 cents and hope he improves a good team to compete. Nobody is a clear favorite and 3/4 of a season left I can't see Drinkill selling.

Reactions: Buttsy

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI

It takes 2 teams to make a move. DD could want to add pieces all day but if another team doesnt want to move players yet theres no chance for a trade. Most teams wish to hold on to thier stars till right around the trade deadline. More time they can sell tickets and get fans coming in. If the deadline comes and goes that's one thing. But no need to panic until that comes

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
It takes 2 teams to make a move. DD could want to add pieces all day but if another team doesnt want to move players yet theres no chance for a trade. Most teams wish to hold on to thier stars till right around the trade deadline. More time they can sell tickets and get fans coming in. If the deadline comes and goes that's one thing. But no need to panic until that comes
Absolutely agree not being critical of your GM just confirming IMO you have to “keep up with the Jones” by acquiring additional talent. Especially if you think it’s your year.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
It might have been our year with Prosvetov and Wilde, but that ship has come and gone. Our #1 goaltender Lennox is mending/ or injured. It may be that type of injury that can pop up again and again...who knows. Is #2 capable of being #1? Not night in and out, in my opinion. Who then backs him up. What are the chances of landing a Murry, Tippett and McLeod. These are the questions DD has going thru his mind at present. The answer is to...wait.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
So when does DD have to decide if we are all-in and going for it? Before Xmas break or later?

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Unless he is certain of Lennox condition...right down to the wire...unless Prosvetov and Wilde show up!

They could have won the whole thing last year...that was the team,... losing Prosvetov was bad, maybe they could have ridden a hot Lennox, but losing Murray was the linchpin. Too many holes to plug as of yet.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Prosvetov is playing ECHL for Rapid City in his 1st game he posting his 1st pro SO. In 4 games for Bridgeport he is 3-1 with a GA-1.98 save%- .944. Some excellent numbers won't be able to get him in Saginaw playing that well.
I'm still looking at the glass as half full and hope we can makes some deals when the time is right.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Great comeback win, 4-3 over a powerful Ottawa club. Busdeker ties it up with a SH goal his 3rd of the season with around 5 min. left. Perfetti puts it always with under 2 min. Goldowski and Baber with the other goals.
Guelph on Saturday is another big 2 pts. Lennox had a solid game and will be key to our success this season. Hope he keeps gaining confidence and develops as he did last season.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Lennox looked to be back in form last night......great to see as we will need him if we are to make noise in the playoffs

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
This team is dependent on goaltending if we are going to be all in. I see ten guys 00 or OA's if we pick up three 00's, 1C, 1W,and 1-D with our remaining assets gives us 13 mature players. Some big boys on D and F just need team offense and D . Not including Perfetti and Millman or Lennox if we can develop like last year some welcome additions will only help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad