Rumor: Sabres trying to trade Ristolainen - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
I think anyone who says Buffalo isn’t shopping Risto is naive. There is a reason the Sabres have acquired three good right-handed defencemen in the past few months.

I also think that the reason Risto is available has very little to do with his defence; it’s because the team needs to acquire a top six forward(s) who can help right now and Risto is probably the only asset they have that might be able to fetch that who they can afford to part with; and it’s also partly because the player and the team acknowledge that six years of losing has beaten him down.

If he is traded, it will be because there is a team out there who wants him for their top four who is willing to give up assets the Sabres can use or flip to help their top six.

And before people rush in to say “Risto isn’t good enough to get that kind of player” two things: package deals exist; and if not, he shouldn’t be traded.

The amount of posters who don’t recognize this is astounding.

This 100%. Thank you - people are treating Risto's value like he's a f#*king cap dump here... HE'S NOT. Would love to dump Bogo and Scandella and actually give Risto at least a full camp and the first half of the season under Krueger to see if playing in an actual structured defense system improves his situational numbers.

Multiple former NHLers & analysts, including Craig Rivet have openly criticized the lack of an actual defensive system during Housley & Bylsma's tenures here - IMO Ralph and his peeps should get a kick at making it work anyhow.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I think anyone who says Buffalo isn’t shopping Risto is naive. There is a reason the Sabres have acquired three good right-handed defencemen in the past few months.

I also think that the reason Risto is available has very little to do with his defence; it’s because the team needs to acquire a top six forward(s) who can help right now and Risto is probably the only asset they have that might be able to fetch that who they can afford to part with; and it’s also partly because the player and the team acknowledge that six years of losing has beaten him down.

If he is traded, it will be because there is a team out there who wants him for their top four who is willing to give up assets the Sabres can use or flip to help their top six.

And before people rush in to say “Risto isn’t good enough to get that kind of player” two things: package deals exist; and if not, he shouldn’t be traded.

The amount of posters who don’t recognize this is astounding.

You arent understanding shopping vs listening

If they were shopping then he likely would have been gone by now.

they could have done something like Gusev+Miller+Eakin for Risto+Girgensons and not acquired Vesey.

They didnt --why--because they arent puishing him out, they are willing to listen to decent offers

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Loui Eriksson (negative value), Madden & 2020 1st (unprotected) for Ristolainen.

A potential magic bean (draft pick), a 3rd rounder last year, and someone with a very bad contract for the next 3 years that's a higher cap hit than Ristolainen.

This does nothing to help the Sabres' current needs, and costs them more money. Why would they do that?

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Time to keep him and let his play in the first 25 games determine his value...
Seriously.

Whatever one thinks of him and his potential, Risto hasn't been properly utilized. Let's see what he can do under a hopefully vastly better coaching staff, and as part of a much deeper defensive corps.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
A potential magic bean (draft pick), a 3rd rounder last year, and someone with a very bad contract for the next 3 years that's a higher cap hit than Ristolainen.

This does nothing to help the Sabres' current needs, and costs them more money. Why would they do that?

Vancouver will not make the playoffs this season either. That's a top-10 pick.

SB716

Jun 1, 2015
Vancouver will not make the playoffs this season either. That's a top-10 pick.

And? The proposed deal is still terrible for Buffalo. They’re not trading Risto for futures. If he’s traded it’ll be for a guy that can help up front now.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
So Petry is a 1D and you literally just attempted to trade him in a 3 way to acquire Risto but now he’s better than RR once Buffalo fans said no? Am I on the right track here?

The reason for that move was for Montreal to get younger to better match the age of their young core. Unlikely Petry carries his level of play for the next 8 years, whereas Risto likely will baring major injuries.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Sutter, Goldobin and Sautner for Risto and 2020 3rd

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
It pains me to say it, but I think you play Eriksson and if he produces then you try to trade him at a later date

Ferland Pettersson Boeser
Jt MIller Horvat Eriksson

Only problem is how do you sign Boeser with Eriksson still on book :-/

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Which the Canucks rn can't trade since there's a condition tied to it.

Technically, they could trade a conditional 2021 1st that shifts to 2020 if they miss the playoffs. That’s what the Sharks did in their Erik Karlsson trade when they were already missing their 2019 1st with a lottery condition on it, and then traded their 2020 1st.

Loui Eriksson (negative value), Madden & 2020 1st (unprotected) for Ristolainen.

And if this happened, Tampa Bay would be by far the biggest winner in the above trade. This would basically guarantee that Vancouver gives them a lottery pick this year.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I just do not see Risto being as bad as this board has him hyped up to be.

He has been used as a #1 D playing big minutes averaging over 24+ mins per night the last 4 season. If you're utilized as a #1 when you're not, you aren't going to look good. Nothing wrong with not becoming a #1 D, not that he isn't young and doesn't have time to improve.

I just find it comical how low people around here suggest his trade value is. D that play 24+ mins, 40+ points per season, good contract, RFA still are worth a decent return.

Buffalo would be stupid to trade him. He will be a great asset behind Dahlin as he grows into a #1 D.

You're also going to get an undeserved opportunity for a bunch of points if you're being utilized as a #1 when you're not. Without 25 min of ice time, he isn't a 40 point defenseman. He can barely crack the 40 point threshold playing ridiculous minutes, how many points do you think he puts up when you drop him down to a lower pairing and 18 min a game, or 574 less minutes (the equivalent of playing an additional 31 games at 18/min a game)?

Last edited:

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
That's not a reason.

Him being a winger is not a reason to not call him a center? Ok.

He's a winger. He plays winger almost exclusively. He rarely plays center. His coaches don't think he can handle center. His GM doesn't think he can handle center. He can't skate well enough to handle center. The only people who think he is a center are Sabre fans like yourself who think the team is purposely keeping him from the center position despite having a massive hole on their roster there.

Last edited:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
OP should have some of the teams needs. I am too lazy to read through, but what are the Sabres needs? Forwards, I presume, but what kind?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad