Rumor: Sabres trying to trade Ristolainen - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
I just do not see Risto being as bad as this board has him hyped up to be.

He has been used as a #1 D playing big minutes averaging over 24+ mins per night the last 4 season. If you're utilized as a #1 when you're not, you aren't going to look good. Nothing wrong with not becoming a #1 D, not that he isn't young and doesn't have time to improve.

I just find it comical how low people around here suggest his trade value is. D that play 24+ mins, 40+ points per season, good contract, RFA still are worth a decent return.

Buffalo would be stupid to trade him. He will be a great asset behind Dahlin as he grows into a #1 D.

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
Maybe not the right thread, but anyone else watch Risto these last 2 years and think, 'He should be a forward'?

I really think a Brent Burns trial period on the wing during preseason is worth considering. I know RHD are in super high demand which makes this idea less than likely, but I truly believe he might be a better forward than dman, and it's worth exploring.
No. I've never watched him once and thought he should be a forward. Probably because he shouldn't be a forward

Reactions: Heretic

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
No. I've never watched him once and thought he should be a forward. Probably because he shouldn't be a forward

Really? Because he's very poor at defense and it's the reason why he's being shopped, but he looks so much like a forward and so very talented on rushes. Here, look at this:

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
WTF...this is garbage...

Yiu can make that trade with WPG

Risto is better than Petry.
Most metrics show that Petry has been a top 15 defensemen over the past 3 years.

Your team wouldn't be trying to trade Risto if he was a top 15 defensemen and keeping the likes of Bogosian instead.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Most metrics show that Petry has been a top 15 defensemen over the past 3 years.

Your team wouldn't be trying to trade Risto if he was a top 15 defensemen and keeping the likes of Bogosian instead.

So Petry is a 1D and you literally just attempted to trade him in a 3 way to acquire Risto but now he’s better than RR once Buffalo fans said no? Am I on the right track here?

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
Really? Because he's very poor at defense and it's the reason why he's being shopped, but he looks so much like a forward and so very talented on rushes. Here, look at this:

Yeah man. I watched every Sabres game last season. And the majority of his career games. He's not a forward

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

He has been used as a #1 D playing big minutes averaging over 24+ mins per night the last 4 season. If you're utilized as a #1 when you're not, you aren't going to look good. Nothing wrong with not becoming a #1 D, not that he isn't young and doesn't have time to improve.

I just find it comical how low people around here suggest his trade value is. D that play 24+ mins, 40+ points per season, good contract, RFA still are worth a decent return.

Buffalo would be stupid to trade him. He will be a great asset behind Dahlin as he grows into a #1 D.
I don't disagree with your 1st sentence. But the rest of this seems self-contradictory:

He looks bad because he plays a lot of minutes.
He's valuable because he plays a lot of minutes.

You are admitting that he shouldn't be playing a lot of minutes, therefor you can't use the idea of him playing a lot of minutes as a selling point.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I don't disagree with your 1st sentence. But the rest of this seems self-contradictory:

You are admitting that he shouldn't be playing a lot of minutes, therefor you can't use the idea of him playing a lot of minutes as a selling point.

And maybe his $5.4M AAV contract isn't a "good contract" for a 3/4/5 defenseman who can't play lots of hard minutes. The contract isn't horrible, but it doesn't really add value.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Didn't Arizona just pick a RHD #11 in the draft? Amazing that he's busted already and isn't "coming up" any time soon.

Trying hard to pick a fight? Read what I posted again...

Anaheim only has two RH Dmen (Manson and Holzer), while Vegas only has one (Engelland). Each team has only three top-four quality Dmen, and no RHD depth coming up either. Arizona only has Demers as a RH guy as well.

I describe two other teams' situation with their D-corps, then I mention Arizona having only one RH starter on defense. You must really want to argue about nothing if you took my post, and chose to translate that into "Soderstrom is a bust". o_O :rolleyes:

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Idk that Anaheim will make a move for risto unless it buying low.

We cant afford to trade our 1st, as we don't know how the team will look this year.... too much risk.

We don't really have any centers available... I suppose Henrique, but most sabre fans don't want him.
Obviously we wouldn't really be interested in moving Steel/Zegras/Lundy for him. Groulx could be part of the package, but Idk that it moves the needle much.

Top 6 wingers, sure we might be able to move players in that area... but idk that theyd have the quality buffao fans want. I feel like Kase/silf would be debatable amongst duck fans... last I checked buffalo fans thought risto brings back rakell which was laughable.

I just don't see us being good partners anymore.... I think were just going to ride with Lindholm Manson Guhle and fowler as our top 4 and hope Larsson/Mahura take steps forward this year.

Yeah I don't exactly see Anaheim as a great trade partner either, but just followed up another post about WC teams by specifying a few that have hardly any RHD right now. Who knows what GMs might agree to? I try not to go too far down rat holes debating that stuff.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Heretic

May 25, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah I don't exactly see Anaheim as a great trade partner either, but just followed up another post about WC teams by specifying a few that have hardly any RHD right now. Who knows what GMs might agree to? I try not to go too far down rat holes debating that stuff.

Yeah to me it seems like it's probably the Peg or bust at this point. Disappointed he's still on our roster. I'm not even expecting a lot in return at this point.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

You can find stats msking anyone a top 15 if you tried hard enough....

Buffalo isn’t shopping him.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Oh it makes sense from anahiem perspective... i just dont think both sides could figure it out.

Personally id love risto in anahiem, hes been on my wishlist forever.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

The other isdue people keep forgetting...who is he playing with.

He hasn’t had much of s playing partner throughout his career.

He p,says a lot of minutes. There is a difference between someone playing 22+ ES or PK per night vs someone playing around 18 or so.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Yeah to me it seems like it's probably the Peg or bust at this point. Disappointed he's still on our roster. I'm not even expecting a lot in return at this point.

If the return isn't there, then he doesn't get traded. I'm fine with that, except it means the Sabres will roll with the forward/center setup they have now, which is a tad weak behind the first line.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014

Nope you are just choosing to understand things in a way that fits your objective. Is this how you approach your job, wife, friends etc?

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
The other isdue people keep forgetting...who is he playing with.

He hasn’t had much of s playing partner throughout his career.

He p,says a lot of minutes. There is a difference between someone playing 22+ ES or PK per night vs someone playing around 18 or so.

Yes, last year he was 9th in total ice time/game at 24:38. The year before he was 4th with 26:30 total ice time/game. That's a lot of ice time.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Nope you are just choosing to understand things in a way that fits your objective. Is this how you approach your job, wife, friends etc?
YOU said he looks bad when he plays top minutes. YOU said that his playing 24+ minutes makes him valuable.

Last edited:

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
I think anyone who says Buffalo isn’t shopping Risto is naive. There is a reason the Sabres have acquired three good right-handed defencemen in the past few months.

I also think that the reason Risto is available has very little to do with his defence; it’s because the team needs to acquire a top six forward(s) who can help right now and Risto is probably the only asset they have that might be able to fetch that who they can afford to part with; and it’s also partly because the player and the team acknowledge that six years of losing has beaten him down.

If he is traded, it will be because there is a team out there who wants him for their top four who is willing to give up assets the Sabres can use or flip to help their top six.

And before people rush in to say “Risto isn’t good enough to get that kind of player” two things: package deals exist; and if not, he shouldn’t be traded.

The amount of posters who don’t recognize this is astounding.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad