Rumor: Sabres trying to trade Ristolainen - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Lol well wouldn't kase be taking that spot in theory :P we cant give up 2 RWs

Nah. Terry would take Sobotka's 3C spot. I'm only basing this on him being listed as a C. Even if he's never done that at the NHL level, he can't be any worse than Sobotka. At least learning it at the NHL level is a valid excuse if he sucks at it.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Nah. Terry would take Sobotka's 3C spot. I'm only basing this on him being listed as a C. Even if he's never done that at the NHL level, he can't be any worse than Sobotka. At least learning it at the NHL level is a valid excuse if he sucks at it.

He played RW in college and AHL... and im pretty sure international also... not sure last time he actually was used as a center.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
A 2c who has defensive chops and is either a 3 year contract until UFA or will be a RFA at the end of his contract.

A 2RW would be nice but the gaping hole until Mitts gets developed is a major pain point.
Henrique but he has 5 years left and a modified NTC with a 10 team list. He is a solid center, not a true 2C but I doubt you will get one for Risto. His contract might not be well for you guys either.

I would love Risto but he does bring some risk, therefore I am not willing to give up too much of a good value. Therefore the disagreements and ''Ducks fans always overrate their prospects''. Like @Getz2noone mentioned, we are in a sort of a rebuild year where we are looking at our guys so we are interested but not desperate to make a move.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I keep saying it in this thread, but the Sabres should try Ristolainen out at forward during training camp before dealing him if they're really wanting a top 6 forward. Even if it's one day. He has everything team's look for in a really, really good forward when it comes to his skillset and I believe playing on the wing would alleviate many of the issues he has. He could be like 70 pt+ player. And I mean, if they're trying to get a forward for him, why not experiment? Worst case scenario is it doesn't work, and you put him back on d for the rest of training camp. Best case scenario you have the new Wendel Clark, or maybe a Burns at forward-- hell, that experiment didn't ruin Burns.

Teams need to be more experimental during training camp. I remember when Montreal said they were trying Domi out at C, and lots of people here thought it was idiotic and you don't do that. It's worth trying out.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
I keep saying it in this thread, but the Sabres should try Ristolainen out at forward during training camp before dealing him if they're really wanting a top 6 forward. Even if it's one day. He has everything team's look for in a really, really good forward when it comes to his skillset and I believe playing on the wing would alleviate many of the issues he has. He could be like 70 pt+ player. And I mean, if they're trying to get a forward for him, why not experiment? Worst case scenario is it doesn't work, and you put him back on d for the rest of training camp. Best case scenario you have the new Wendel Clark, or maybe a Burns at forward-- hell, that experiment didn't ruin Burns.

Teams need to be more experimental during training camp. I remember when Montreal said they were trying Domi out at C, and lots of people here thought it was idiotic and you don't do that. It's worth trying out.

If it is true that they want to move him(I don't believe they do), then trying him at winger DOES hurt his value as a team can say, "You don't even believe he's worth playing at D anymore!" It's the perception of his value decreasing. Nothing actual.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
It makes no sense to trade him. He has a fair contract, is a right handed D, has 3 years left on his contract and he’s still young. They probably will not get equal value for him (unless of course they manage a deal like they didn’t for Jokiharju). To be honest I’m not even sure what a “fair deal” would be for him or even what they would want in return.

Like, I don’t even want to propose a potential trade because half of you would say “no way he’s worth that or Buffalo would get hosed in that trade”. Lol

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Aren't those other bits direct quotes from Ristolainen? Not rephrasing by a reporter to sensationalize it. Hard to tell if it is not direct quotes.

Thank you.
E: Edited direct quotes from him here.

''You have 3 years left on the contract with BUF, how do you see the situation from your POV?''

RR: Well, the situation is very open, even I don't currently know and can't really say one way or the other, but when it's 12th of September, I'm on some teams camp, I can't say for sure which one.

''How do you see your own position in BUF at the moment, what kind of a feel do you get from it?''

RR: Personally, I don't know my position in Buffalo, or if I will be on BUF when the season starts, and of course, the team has to make changes when it hasn't gone their way, accomplished their goal of being in the playoffs and Buffalo has made good acquisitions, if I am there when the season starts, it's just a good thing that I've gotten more help, creating competition, which will create improvement in everyone when you have to fight for your minutes and role.

''What kind of ambition 'zone' are you in for continuing in Buffalo, because as you said, there hasn't been success?''

RR: Well, well we've had conversations with management after the last season and the summer and we've agreed to keep the situation between us, the gm recently said in an interview that the talks that we have stay between me and the management, so we'll keep that matter as is. As I said, I'm not sure where I'm playing next season.

''Let it be that you play where you play, what kind of future goals, big goals do you have in store for your NHL career?''

RR: Well, I want to win. Maybe the main one is that after many seasons that have been rough we would have, eh, that it would be fun, you could enjoy and you wouldn't have to go through rough times as we've had in Buffalo and, of course getting to the playoffs, success, winning, I don't have personal goals but I wan't to be- I want to be the best player I can be and I trust in my abilities and potential to be one of the teams top defenders and the leagues top defenders, that's the goal.
Mostly my goal is to win and win a Stanley Cup and be a winner.

''How satisfied are you to the fact that you've been able to be a leading player?''

RR: I'm not satisfied, like I said our teams goals, we haven't accomplished them, we haven't made the playoffs when I've been a big role player and played a lot of minutes, so I've not succeeded, I've not played well enough to make the team succeed, so of course I have a lot of hunger and that kind of hate that you want to improve and get to the playoffs.​

Last edited:

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Okay I see now. Only the parts at the bottom are direct quotes. I wish I could watch the video of the interview with translations.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
That Ristolainen interview confirms the rumor that the Risto trade talk was/is player driven and that the Sabres didn’t necessarily want to move him.

Hopefully it also means that they only trade Risto if the offer is right (like was also reported). That seems to be the case so far.

Jason Botterill’s job is to put the Buffalo Sabres best interests first (in every decision), not a single player.
So I expect him to do his job! lol

As I said all along, even if Risto requested a trade he’s not the type that would hold out or cause drama with the team (he’s a high character player IMO). I felt that he confirmed in that interview, that if buffalo doesn’t trade him he will still show up 1st day of camp and give it his all.

He just wants to win. After what he’s been through in his 6yrs in buffalo I can’t blame him.

I still think he ends up in Winnipeg for whatever reason

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Watching that interview, you can read between lines that most likely Ristolainen will be traded to team who is potential playoff team.

He's really tired of losing and wants out of Buffalo. Wonder what will be that 'playoff' team who needs top2 RHD.

He has zero say about where he goes. Your post makes no sense.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
He has zero say about where he goes. Your post makes no sense.
He did say he wants to play playoffs and win. Buffalo doesnt compete playoff spot yet. So it make sense he wants to go team who high likely playoff team or near of playoff.

Ofc its difference where Buffalo will trade him.

Dont know does it make his value low IF he gets traded team which is worse than Buffalo or same level, 'Cus he would ask trade right away for team which is trying to win and compete at playoffs?

He admit he is tired of losing and past years has been tough. He want new start.

Last edited:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I don't know any planet where streaky wingers are valued more than right defencemen

Literally all forwards are "streaky" except for the uber elite ones.

Also, your logic is terrible. Ehlers has more value because he is a significantly better player than Ristolainen. So what you're saying, is any RD is more valuable than any "streaky" winger right? Can we trade Tyler Myers for Sam Reinhart then?

Risto isn't good. That's why he has low value.

Reactions: Snowman

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I don't know any planet where streaky wingers are valued more than right defencemen

Planet earth. A malcontent Phil Kessel with a NMC just brought back Galchenyuk. Subban and Trouba -each with no trade protection- returned two seconds and effectively Neal Pionk and 26 games of Kevin Hayes.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016

He had a season that had a substantial shoulder injury and wasn't 100%. Otherwise, he's a possession driving playmaker who has yet to even hit his peak.

RR on the other hand won the green jacket for worst +/-, granted he's on a horrible team.

Regardless, the value of Ehlers is far higher than RR on planet earth.

Reactions: Snowman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad