Friedman: Sabres shopping D? (Not Risto)

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Half of the Sabres defensemen were acquired by the current GM within the past year or so. Those that weren't:

Risto
Hes been discussed plenty here.

Scandella
If not Risto then Scandella makes the most sense. However, Joki/Scandella have been their most consistent d pairing and Scandella is a lefty. RHD is the side that's crowded.

McCabe
It's been mentioned hes an assistant captain now.

Bogo
Take anything for him.

It seems like some move will be made eventually but I have no idea how this plays out.

Reactions: BHD

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
Dahlin, Miller, Jokiharju are definitely not going anywhere.
McCabe, Montour are unlikely to get dealt... but it could happen if it's a top-6 F coming the other way

Risto, Scandella, Bogosian have to be the bigger names being floated by Botterill. Everyone knows BUF has been trying to trade Risto, I'm glad Botterill was patient this offseason and didn't take a weak deal he didn't like just to move him.

Maybe Botterill was exploring the idea with a team desperate for multiple defensemen to help out immediately (WPG) by adding Scandella, Bogosian, or Nelson to an offer along with Risto. Would make sense to me.

WPG has the space to take both Risto ($5.4m x 3) and Scandella ($4.0m x 1) if they want.

Would WPG even entertain the idea of something around Risto + Scandella for Ehlers + Kulikov?

The cap hits work out pretty evenly both ways. Sabres would just bury Kulikov somewhere and Ehlers fits the huge top-6 winger hole in the lineup perfectly.

WPG injects some much needed life into the D-core with 2 new starters with size in place of the incompetent Kulikov, and will actually have a pretty solid D-core all around if/when Big Buff returns. Ehlers is obviously a big cost, and is the most valuable player in the deal, there's no denying that. But I think the benefit overall outweighs the cost for the team's success. WPG has 3 elite wingers ahead of Ehlers in the organizational depth chart as it is. Scoring will not fall off the face of the earth if Ehlers is removed from the lineup, and the D would dramatically improve

freester

Mar 22, 2014
Atlanta, Ga
Half of the Sabres defensemen were acquired by the current GM within the past year or so. Those that weren't:

Risto
Hes been discussed plenty here.

Scandella
If not Risto then Scandella makes the most sense. However, Joki/Scandella have been their most consistent d pairing and Scandella is a lefty. RHD is the side that's crowded.

McCabe
It's been mentioned hes an assistant captain now.

Bogo
Take anything for him.

It seems like some move will be made eventually but I have no idea how this plays out.

Scandella was acquired by Botteril

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
McCabe, Montour are unlikely to get dealt... but it could happen if it's a top-6 F coming the other way

Risto, Scandella, Bogosian have to be the bigger names being floated by Botterill. Everyone knows BUF has been trying to trade Risto, I'm glad Botterill was patient this offseason and didn't take a weak deal he didn't like just to move him.

Maybe Botterill was exploring the idea with a team desperate for multiple defensemen to help out immediately (WPG) by adding Scandella, Bogosian, or Nelson to an offer along with Risto. Would make sense to me.

WPG has the space to take both Risto ($5.4m x 3) and Scandella ($4.0m x 1) if they want.

Would WPG even entertain the idea of something around Risto + Scandella for Ehlers + Kulikov?

The cap hits work out pretty evenly both ways. Sabres would just bury Kulikov somewhere and Ehlers fits the huge top-6 winger hole in the lineup perfectly.

WPG injects some much needed life into the D-core with 2 new starters with size in place of the incompetent Kulikov, and will actually have a pretty solid D-core all around if/when Big Buff returns. Ehlers is obviously a big cost, and is the most valuable player in the deal, there's no denying that. But I think the benefit overall outweighs the cost for the team's success. WPG has 3 elite wingers ahead of Ehlers in the organizational depth chart as it is. Scoring will not fall off the face of the earth if Ehlers is removed from the lineup, and the D would dramatically improve
The Jets don't really need anymore bad defenseman, we have plenty. So, it's not worth giving up a first line winger for players that may marginally improve our bottom 4 defensemen.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
MTL says that they have too many forwards, especially wingers, and need LHD. BUF still needs depth up front. Scandella is the obvious choice...if they indeed need to move a LHD. Should be easy to move a RHD.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
MTL says that they have too many forwards, especially wingers, and need LHD. BUF still needs depth up front. Scandella is the obvious choice...if they indeed need to move a LHD. Should be easy to move a RHD.

Not really. Montreal needs a really good LHD, ideally one that moves the puck and skates really well.

Scandella is more of depth piece, which Montreal already has.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I’d still offer Ristolainen and Rodrigues to Anaheim for Comtois and Larsson. Then flip Scandella for a pick.
In a vacuum I think something like that could be a fair value.

But Anaheim looks at this in a way that they will have to lose one D before or at the deadline and they probably don`t want to lose a prospect like Comtois for 2 years of Risto in a timeframe where we are not yet probably contenders. I could see them willing to involve Ritchie or Jones, but not sure if Comtois

Reactions: Der Jaeger

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
The Jets don't really need anymore bad defenseman, we have plenty. So, it's not worth giving up a first line winger for players that may marginally improve our bottom 4 defensemen.

Risto playing 24 min/night and Scandella 18 min for us and it's worked out pretty well so far.... I don't see any defenseman worthy of being on an NHL roster let alone the bottom-4 of any team in WPG right now other than Morrissey, Poink, and Heinola, so I don't think Risto and Scandella would get shuffled to the bottom pairs. Kulikov/Dahlstrom/Bitteto (before recent injury) getting 16-20 min a night each is so brutal.

I just don't get how WPG can sit there with all the offensive talent they have and watch themselves slowly throw away this season because they're giving up almost 4 goals a night regularly. Maybe it's not this proposed trade, maybe it's not even a trade with BUF, but they need to address their obvious problem on the back end soon or else they're missing playoffs. And their offense is way too talented to be missing playoffs

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Risto playing 24 min/night and Scandella 18 min for us and it's worked out pretty well so far.... I don't see any defenseman worthy of being on an NHL roster let alone the bottom-4 of any team in WPG right now other than Morrissey, Poink, and Heinola, so I don't think Risto and Scandella would get shuffled to the bottom pairs. Kulikov/Dahlstrom/Bitteto (before recent injury) getting 16-20 min a night each is so brutal.

I just don't get how WPG can sit there with all the offensive talent they have and watch themselves slowly throw away this season because they're giving up almost 4 goals a night regularly. Maybe it's not this proposed trade, maybe it's not even a trade with BUF, but they need to address their obvious problem on the back end soon or else they're missing playoffs. And their offense is way too talented to be missing playoffs
Just because those guys are playing that many minutes doesn't mean they should be. As you said the Jets have 3 defenseman better than Risto and Scandella as it stands now. So, upgrading #4 marginally with Risto or #5/6 with Scandella isn't worth giving up a 23 year old first line winger with a great contract.

The Jets may trade a core piece to acquire a young top 4 defenseman, but unfortunately none appear to be available right now.

Throwing away a major core piece for marginal improvements, that won't make much difference to overall team performance, isn't good asset management.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
How has Scandella been? He seems like the obvious choice given the flack he’s taken in recent seasons.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Just because those guys are playing that many minutes doesn't mean they should be. As you said the Jets have 3 defenseman better than Risto and Scandella as it stands now. So, upgrading #4 marginally with Risto or #5/6 with Scandella isn't worth giving up a 23 year old first line winger with a great contract.

The Jets may trade a core piece to acquire a young top 4 defenseman, but unfortunately none appear to be available right now.

Throwing away a major core piece for marginal improvements, that won't make much difference to overall team performance, isn't good asset management.

Imo

Jets don’t need to do anything to help their bottom pairing, we’re fine there. Assuming Buff returns I think we need to add one vet D to our left side. Ristolainen is literally the worse guy we could add......I would sooner look at (examples only) Hammer (Flames) or a cheaper solution of Hainsey (Sens) as a short term/bridge solution.

Josh Pionk

TBA Buff

If Buff retires then we need to add two guys, example of Hammer & Hainsey......obviously this is harder to do. Other option is if Buff retires this becomes a development year and get a good pick via rolling with current D.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Imo

Jets don’t need to do anything to help their bottom pairing, we’re fine there. Assuming Buff returns I think we need to add one vet D to our left side. Ristolainen is literally the worse guy we could add......I would sooner look at (examples only) Hammer (Flames) or a cheaper solution of Hainsey (Sens) as a short term/bridge solution.

Josh Pionk

TBA Buff

If Buff retires then we need to add two guys, example of Hammer & Hainsey......obviously this is harder to do. Other option is if Buff retires this becomes a development year and get a good pick via rolling with current D.
I agree. People like to propose panic trades because they're exciting to talk about, as one team is always hoping to acquire something valuable for an old or unneeded piece that the other team theoretically "needs".

Unless it is a young core piece coming back, there just isn't any reason for the Jets to move a young, core piece. Nothing offered so far for Ehlers is going too make any difference in the Jets playoff chances.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I agree. People like to propose panic trades because they're exciting to talk about, as one team is always hoping to acquire something valuable for an old or unneeded piece that the other team theoretically "needs".

Unless it is a young core piece coming back, there just isn't any reason for the Jets to move a young, core piece. Nothing offered so far for Ehlers is going too make any difference in the Jets playoff chances.

agreed

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
Buffalo seems headed to a Toronto-like situation, a lot of talent that may be hiding some of the blemishes on any individual. Most of them have really high trade value, but also will probably cost a lot to resign. Then there's the expansion draft on the horizon... Just an interesting situation all-around.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Buffalo seems headed to a Toronto-like situation, a lot of talent that may be hiding some of the blemishes on any individual. Most of them have really high trade value, but also will probably cost a lot to resign. Then there's the expansion draft on the horizon... Just an interesting situation all-around.

I think the expansion draft is why we hear all the Risto talk. I believe they have to protect 4D and dont want to expose someone like McCabe to protect Risto, which we would have to do because Risto has flashier numbers and therefore more value. If Joki keeps getting better trying to keep all of Dahlin, Risto, Montour, Miller, McCabe, and Pilut is a tough task unless we expose someone like Mitts or pay them a lot of draft capital to stay away from our defense.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I’d still offer Ristolainen and Rodrigues to Anaheim for Comtois and Larsson. Then flip Scandella for a pick.

That's probably a fair or more than fair deal for Anaheim short term, but long term that would be bad for the Ducks. Comtois doesn't have to be protected for the ED while Risto does. The Ducks already have Lindholm, Fowler, and Manson that need to be protected. Ideally, Anaheim trades for a #4 RHD that has 1-2 years left (and significantly lower price tag to acquire), give the young guys that two years to prove who stays and who goes, then make a deal when Zegras, Steel, Comtois, Terry, etc. are all hitting their strides in the NHL. If Buffalo has a guy that can be a solid #4 that they want to get rid of without overpaying for, that might be the right deal.

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014

I think WPG adding those 2 would possibly make a huge difference in the overall team performance, because you no longer have to play guys like Kulikov or Beaulieu 18-20 min a night, but I guess that's where we agree to disagree.

I don't know the current situation with Heinola (are they going to keep him after his 9 games?) but if he's sent down that's another guy gone too. The main point is I don't see WPG as a playoff team with this current D-core and WPG should definitely be a playoff team. They don't want to rush into a bad trade, I get that, but I feel like they need to do something during the season this year to address

allsilverdreams

Jan 17, 2011
I think the Jets owe the Sabres big time for the last trade these two teams made.
You raped the Sabres for Kane.

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
Why would the Sabres make any big moves right now, they are playing well.

We've got a log jam on D with several coming off of IR relatively soon. Our right side is loaded and we've got assets to move.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

This is basically Ehlers for Ristolainen again and many Jets fans have said they are not interested in that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad