Friedman: Sabres shopping D? (Not Risto)

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
Friedman is talking out of his ass again, the Sabres are doing good. Why would they disrupt that chemistry?

Because the have Pilut (day-to-day) & Montour (week-to-week) coming back and no open spots for them.

CURRENT:
McCabe-Ristolainen
Dahlin-Miller
Scandella-Jokiharju
X. Gilmour

now add Montour, Pilut, Bogosian (eventually...). Not to mention Nelson & Borgen banging on the door in ROC. Somethings gotta give...

Other than a possible (likely?) Risto deal, look at Scandella, who is a 29yo pending UFA is playing his best hockey in 3yrs & offers a prime 'sell high' scenario for Botteril. No shortage of LD to replace him.

Sabres have a glut of d-men & need a top-6 right wing help - makes a ton of sense.

Reactions: viper0220

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
What’s Buffalo want for Miller?

Seeing as Botts literally just went out and traded for him, and he's been really solid - I would say that price is much higher than you'd want to pay. A good, young, scoring top-6 winger almost definitely does it, but seeing as he's a controllable asset (whom our GM loves), on a honey of contract and he can play both sides... you're gonna have to overpay.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Bogosian for a pick/prospect?
Other than that I think this is mostly just Botterill doing due diligence as the season starts and seeing what teams like his players and what players will become available as the season progresses.

As everyone gets healthy, and barring more injuries, I expect...

1) Montour Returns:
1a) Gilmour waived (likely clears and goes to Rochester).
1b) Scandella is rotated out when Montour plays,
With Montour to be given a shot on his off hand.
Defense looks like-
McCabe-Ristolainen
Dahlin-Miller
Montour-Jokiharju
Ex) Scandella

2) Pilut Returns:
2a) Pilut goes to Rochester, Buffalo roster stays the same.

3) Bogosian Returns:
3a) Bogosian does a rehab stint in Rochester
3b) Bogosian is either dealt or if needed put on waivers.

End of year/ setup for 2020-2021:
Dahlin-Miller
McCabe-Jokiharju
Montour-Ristolainen
Ex) Pilut

Rochester: Jacob Bryson & Will Borgen.

Prospect pool includes Ryan Johnson, Matthias Samuelsson, Oskari Laaksonen.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Sabres are almost assuredly looking to move Scandella. Sabres need cap space to add a player(s) at the TDL, he is an impending UFA, has a 4.0 mil AAV and has been pretty good. A 2nd for Scandella would be a fair trade for both sides.

If the Sabres don't move Risto i think they're making a big mistake. Capitalize on that overrated value before it disappears. Sens could've had Hall and ended up with Connor Brown and Zaitsev.

Risto has been damn good overall for them this season. Leading the Sabres D in TOI and ES TOI and is getting damn near 60% DZS.

Ristos price is not cheap. It will cost a legit top 6 C under 27 years old or a 1st+high end prospect + (what the Sabres paid for Montour+)

Montour to Colorado, whats the cost

1st round pick + top prospect

Sabres gave up that exact package. A 1st and Guhle, who is now a full time dman on Anaheim and a future #3 dman. The prospect would have to be as good as Guhle was, so a legit top 6 forward prospect or a top 4 D prospect to go with that 1st round pick.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Sabres are almost assuredly looking to move Scandella. Sabres need cap space to add a player(s) at the TDL, he is an impending UFA, has a 4.0 mil AAV and has been pretty good. A 2nd for Scandella would be a fair trade for both sides.

Risto has been damn good overall for them this season. Leading the Sabres D in TOI and ES TOI and is getting damn near 60% DZS.

Ristos price is not cheap. It will cost a legit top 6 C under 27 years old or a 1st+high end prospect + (what the Sabres paid for Montour+)

Sabres gave up that exact package. A 1st and Guhle, who is now a full time dman on Anaheim and a future #3 dman. The prospect would have to be as good as Guhle was, so a legit top 6 forward prospect or a top 4 D prospect to go with that 1st round pick.

Thank you for the insight, hard pass on Montour as that price is a bit to steep for Colorado imo. Maybe Scandella would be the better target mattering on what happens with other players on the Avs.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007

I happen to like Guhle. But he was out of favor in Buffalo, was never a high end prospect, and he is not yet a full time dman in Anaheim. It also remains very unclear if he's a future 3. He's more likely a 4/5 or even 6. Again, I like him. But your characterization of what Buffalo gave up for Montour is inflated, both because Guhle was not a top prospect and the first rounder that was traded was always going to be a lower pick (second half of the first round).

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I happen to like Guhle. But he was out of favor in Buffalo, was never a high end prospect, and he is not yet a full time dman in Anaheim. It also remains very unclear if he's a future 3. He's more likely a 4/5 or even 6. Again, I like him. But your characterization of what Buffalo gave up for Montour is inflated, both because Guhle was not a top prospect and the first rounder that was traded was always going to be a lower pick (second half of the first round).

100% agree. I was very excited for Guhle as a prospect because of his skating, but his development had totally stalled out at the time of the trade.

I also think just looking to recoup what we gave up for Montour misses the mark. For a young guy with with RFA years left, the Sabres really should be looking for a hockey trade.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
100% agree. I was very excited for Guhle as a prospect because of his skating, but his development had totally stalled out at the time of the trade.

I also think just looking to recoup what we gave up for Montour misses the mark. For a young guy with with RFA years left, the Sabres really should be looking for a hockey trade.

I'm a bit surprised that Buffalo fans in this thread seem to value Miller over Montour. I was thinking the Ducks might redirect focus from Risto to Miller, but that seems unlikely if that is truly how Buffalo's front office see things. And FWIW, I was at the game last night and obviously Risto struggled. Seems like he's being asked to do too much, but could slot nicely onto a second pair (or even a bottom pair with a lot of power play and penalty kill time). The problem is that the ask on HF (and apparently from Buffalo's front office) is for more than that. Seems a little unrealistic but time will tell.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
they should flip montour

hes going to go to waste with risto and miller hogging the right side and no real powerplay minutes available

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
"Receiving a letter" has never been a guarantee of extended residence here!

Ask Schoenfeld - Gare - Ruff - Foligno - Ramsey - LaFontaine - Peca - Pominville!

If a favorable move is offered it will be made......

Reactions: DickSmehlik

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I'm a bit surprised that Buffalo fans in this thread seem to value Miller over Montour. I was thinking the Ducks might redirect focus from Risto to Miller, but that seems unlikely if that is truly how Buffalo's front office see things. And FWIW, I was at the game last night and obviously Risto struggled. Seems like he's being asked to do too much, but could slot nicely onto a second pair (or even a bottom pair with a lot of power play and penalty kill time). The problem is that the ask on HF (and apparently from Buffalo's front office) is for more than that. Seems a little unrealistic but time will tell.

I mean, we have no idea what teams are actually offering for Risto or what the Sabres are asking. For all we know, the Sabres ask is reasonable and the offers are just lowballs. FWIW, regardless of whatever fans and media might think about how Risto has handled the role he's been asked to play---and as much as I agree he'd be better suited to a reduced/less difficult role---he's now on his 3rd straight coach using him as a minute-munching #1. There has to be something these HCs are seeing in him that's leading to him being trusted with those minutes.

Re: Miller v. Montour. I think Miller's game is just a bit more versatile. Montour's core value is a even strength, and his core skillset there is rushing the puck. I'll say that with the big caveat that we haven't seen what Montour looks like in Krueger's system. Last year's Ducks and Sabres were pretty putrid, and that can make evaluating players fairly more difficult. On-ice impact aside, Miller has the advantage of cost certainty + he seems to be wearing some extra hats off the ice (namely, being a mentor for Dahlin and being a resource for Krueger, who's talked about wanting to borrow some coaching strategy from Vegas).

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Thank you for the insight, hard pass on Montour as that price is a bit to steep for Colorado imo. Maybe Scandella would be the better target mattering on what happens with other players on the Avs.

No problem. And I definitely understand about the hard pass as that is a hefty price to pay. It is just that the Sabres paid that price less then a year ago and Montour has done nothing to reduce his trade value. At minimum he has retained his trade value if not slightly increased it. A 1st round pick and top prospect is a very valuable trade package but that is what the Sabres had to pay to acquire a smooth 2 way 30-35 point top 4 dman who plays ~21 minutes a night who is only 25 years old, gets a bit under $3.4 mil AAV who is still under team control after this year as an RFA.

He will likely get a 6-8 year extension at around ~5 mil per IMO. An in his prime 25 year old dman who is adept at both ends and a consistent 30-35 point player who is also a RHD is very valuable. Top 4 RHD IMO are the most valuable position outside of a top 6 center. So accordingly the price is going to be pretty high. A 1st+top prospect would be at minimum the cost to acquire Montour less then a year after acquiring him.

The Aves would be better off going after Scandella. He only has a 4 mil AAV, would only cost around a 2nd, and is only turning 30 so he can still be re-signed on a 3-4 year deal and should still provide decent play. Outside of an awful year last season for him, Scandella has shown to be a solid #4 for most of his career. If the Aves don't want to trade a 1st and one of their top 3 prospects for Montour then a late 2nd for Scandella makes the most sense for them.

I respectfully have to disagree majorly. How is Guhle not yet a full time dman for the ducks?! He is 4th among Anaheim Dmen in ToI per game. The games he has missed this year are due to injury, not healthy scratches. He has 2 points in his 4 games, is a +2, and has played at least 17:43+ in every single game he has played. He has a 53.1 CF and has a ridiculously good +10.9 CF Rel %. He literally turned 22 a few months ago and is still improving. He is a very good skater and plays a smooth steady quiet game. He was paired with Cam Fowler and was the first choice over MDZ. When healthy it will be MDZ coming out of the lineup, not Brendan Guhle.

Quite simply, the Ducks and Sabres pulled off a win win trade as the Sabres got an immediate #3 dman while the Ducks got a future top 4 dman. Again, Guhle just turned 22 years old and this is now his first year as a full time NHLer. He is not being sent down nor is he going to be in the press box for most of this year. If he is healthy, he is going to be on the ice playing with Cam Fowler and getting 19-20 minutes a night. His entire tenure as Sabres property was nothing but good. He was getting very high praises from the moment he was drafted and hit the ice wearing a Sabre sweater. He was undoubtedly the Sabres best D prospect the entire time he was a Sabre up until the Sabres drafted Rasmus Dahlin. Not only that but he was the Sabres top prospect during 15-16 with Eichel and Reinhart graduated, was the Sabres 2nd best prospect during 16-17 only behind Alex Nylander and then in 17-18 he was a top 3 Sabre prospect behind Mittelstadt and Nylander. So wherever you got the idea that Brendan Guhle was not a top prospect is again patently false. Guhle was a top prospect for Buffalo the moment he was drafted and he has done nothing but improve.

Calling Guhle a possible #6 dman is patently false and proven wrong already. #6 dmen are not paired with Cam Fowler. #6 dmen do NOT average over 19 minutes a game. And Guhle was absolutely a top prospect. He nearly made the Buffalo Sabres immediately after being drafted being the last D cut.

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-prospect-brendan-guhle-comfortable-in-pro-hockey/

"Like Guhle did throughout NHL training camp seven months ago, when he became Buffalo’s biggest surprise, the youngster impressed during his six-game AHL stint, showcasing strong poise and skating aggressively."

"He earned a long look from the Sabres in his first camp, turning heads and nearly forcing the club to keep him. After suffering a concussion late in the preseason, he was still with the big club when the regular season began. He never played any games, however."

So saying that Guhle was never a top prospect, or fell out of favor or that he is likely a #5/6 is flat out wrong. Brendan Guhle is ALREADY a #4/5 dman as of today. When healthy he is going to get 2nd pair minutes. Again, Guhle was going to make the Sabres right after being drafted if it wasn't for a concussion he suffered. And he almost made the team AGAIN in his D+2 season before ultimately being sent back to the Dub.

Guhle as an 18 year old joined Rochester after his junior season ended and put up 1-3-4 in his 6 game stint as an 18 year old dman. Again in his D+2 season after juniors ended he once again was able to play 6 games as a teenager in the AHL. As a teenager in the AHL he was exactly at a .5 ppg with 6 in 12. Which proves and shows his untapped potential. Outside of his last junior season, Guhles offensive game was not his strong suit. He was under .5 ppg in juniors every year outside of his last junior season. Yet before his 20th bday in the A he was at a .5 ppg. And in his 20 and 21 year old AHL seasons he was OVER a .5 ppg with 13-40-53 in exactly 100 games. That is a very good sign when a dmans offensive production actually IMPROVES in the AHL compared to their CHL production.

So TL;DR

Brendan Guhle was and is a top prospect. He is not a #6 dman, that is just ridiculous. The Sabres wanted a young in his prime top 4 RHD and they paid a high cost to get it in Brandon Montour. Guhle highly valued in Buffalo and the only reason he was even available was that he was a Murray pick and not a Botterill one. Botts still highly valued Guhle, but he specifically targeted Montour and knew he had to give up value to get value and pulled the trigger. Guhle is a sure fire budding 2nd pairing dman who is like Montour, going to be a likely 30-35 point 2 way smooth skating 2nd pairing dman.

The Ducks have a good one. As for me inflating the Montour trade package, that again is false. While the 1st was definitely going to be a non lotto pick, with the condition involved it had a very good chance to be a pick in the early 20s. 7 weeks prior the Blues were in last place. They went on a cup run and it was unfortunate for both Buffalo and Anaheim that both 1st round picks in play were owned by the two WC finalists teams. It could have ended differently and those 1sts could have both been in the early 20s instead of the early 30s.

And I also prefer Colin Miller to Brandon Montour. Both are very good and the Sabres are absolutely LOADED at RHD. The Sabres arguably have the deepest RHD corps/pipeline in the league with Risto, Miller, Montour, Jokiharju and then B level RHD prospects like Borgen,Fitzgerald and Laaksonen. Unless Botterill can pull off some magic and/or give up a quality trade package/1st round pick the damn Seattle franchise is going to poach one of the Sabres RHD. Hopefully we move some of them far before we let those freakin jerks steal our good RHD. That is why I would like to move Montour for a 1st+top prospect so Ron Francis doesn't get to STEAL one of them. I hate this expansion BS. Contract a team don't add more. 30 was perfect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Perratrooper

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
they have too many puck movers.

Miller
Montour
McCabe
Risto
HJ
Dahlin

they need a few Defensive 1st guys.

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny
Montour isn't back yet and Pilut can (but maybe shouldn't) be buried in Rochester.

There's no reason Buffalo can't take their sweet time with Montour to get him ready, ala pre-season. Bogosian doesn't factor in until January.

Also if the trade here is Scandella for a third, I'm find with that, especially if it opens the door for Pilut to be a full time NHLer.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
they have too many puck movers.

Miller
Montour
McCabe
Risto
HJ
Dahlin

they need a few Defensive 1st guys.
I wouldn’t categorize McCabe as a “puckmover”. He’s not terrible at it, but he’s more of a mobile stay-at-home. But the defense as a whole is full of good skaters, which is helpful.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

Miller has been super staunch to start the season. Montour only played in Buffalo during garbage time. There's more exposure to Miller's recent contribution. I really liked Montour and whenever looking through the Duck's roster he was a stretch target for me. Someone you'd want but didn't think would be available; particularly from a rebuilding club. Maybe Anaheim wasn't a great fit for him personally? Who knows.

All that to say, Miller brings a nice skill set to Buffalo. Montour is like the rest of their top 6, good skater quick passer, defends by moving the puck from danger. Personally I'd deal either of them for the correct C or RW. It doesn't make a lot of sense for Buffalo to trade 1 defender, they should either trade 2 or 0; given the impending expansion draft.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Miller's played great for Buffalo so far, and he's locked into a good contract for another 3 years. He's definitely not the odd man out here.

Scandella and Bogosian aren't guys you expect to be wowed by the offers for. Crummy return for crummy assets is fine.

If they could find a way out from under some salary and not have a drop in play (yes, I know, I'm implying Scandella is mostly good this year and so that makes me wonder at what happens if they go with all run-n-gun d-men by installing Pilut in his place), then I'm all for it.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Miller has been super staunch to start the season. Montour only played in Buffalo during garbage time. There's more exposure to Miller's recent contribution. I really liked Montour and whenever looking through the Duck's roster he was a stretch target for me. Someone you'd want but didn't think would be available; particularly from a rebuilding club. Maybe Anaheim wasn't a great fit for him personally? Who knows.

All that to say, Miller brings a nice skill set to Buffalo. Montour is like the rest of their top 6, good skater quick passer, defends by moving the puck from danger. Personally I'd deal either of them for the correct C or RW. It doesn't make a lot of sense for Buffalo to trade 1 defender, they should either trade 2 or 0; given the impending expansion draft.

Carlyle did Carlyle things to Montour. I'm eager to see what he can do in the Sabres lineup with an actual working structure and system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad