Friedman: Sabres shopping D? (Not Risto)

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
This just in, we are only 7 games into the season.

What does this have to do with anything? Montour will be back next week, so we should just throw a decent player in the press box, rather than try and improve in another area where we need help? Great logic

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
What does this have to do with anything? Montour will be back next week, so we should just throw a decent player in the press box, rather than try and improve in another area where we need help? Great logic

I did not know about the injuries on D, the Sabres have a wealth of D.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Scandella's looked better than McCabe but isnt playing as many minutes. Pilut's another guy who looked very good at times last season. McCabe, Pilut, and Scandella are interchangeable, atm. McCabe and Pilut would likely cost more than Scandella.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Can't see Bogo being of interest to anyone. Scandella...well, this is his "on" year...you'd think someone would jump on him. in the unlikely event that Brodin is traded, I'd be all over getting him back in MN. We've got decent options at LHD right now, and at a very reasonable cap hit....we don't need him the way some others might.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
If the Sabres don't move Risto i think they're making a big mistake. Capitalize on that overrated value before it disappears. Sens could've had Hall and ended up with Connor Brown and Zaitsev.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Why does the title read “not Risto” when Risto is indeed part of the group being shopped according to the tweets in OP.

Love when fans “quote” somebody but then out their own little spin on it if they don’t like the exact details.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Why does the title read “not Risto” when Risto is indeed part of the group being shopped according to the tweets in OP.

Love when fans “quote” somebody but then out their own little spin on it if they don’t like the exact details.

Because if you actually look at what he said, it's clear that the Sabres don't like the market for Risto and are moving onto shopping other defensemen instead. Also, I titled it that way to make it clear that this wasn't meant to be the 57th Ristolainen trade board thread.

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
Gotta think Scandella is one of those names. Maybe McCabe? He's the only other guy who kinda fits
Won't be either of them, especially McCabe who is a captain.

It'll be a RHD, where they have a lot of depth...not a LHD where there is only McCabe and Scandella behind Dahlin.

It's Montour. Miller and Jokiharju aren't going anywhere. Bogosian will be out until possibly the new year. Only Montour makes sense here.

And if it's Montour, Botterill better get a 1st round pick and a prospect back or that's another huge failure on his resume.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Frankly, Montour would appear to be odd-man-out on the right side, at this point. Miller, Risto, and Jokiharju are all playing at least as well as the most optimistic fan could expect.

I hope the Sabres remain patient. Let's see what Montour, and Bogo, can provide under Krueger's coaching staff. Trading either or both will require interested teams to have had a good look at them.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
What ever happened to Bogosian?

End of last season he had hip surgery iirc. He was expected to be out till December back in the spring.

He come back he can play as a bottom pair Dman and be moved st the deadline.

With the other and on buffalo....

Not bring traded. Anyone asks dhould be banned from this thread...Joki and Dshlin

Unlikely .....Miller and McCabe...but can be moved for a solid top 6 player

Who can be traded..

Scsndrlla is a UFA at 5he end of the year. Buffalo can replace him with Gilmour or call up Pilutehrn he is ready after he heals. Buffalo has other youngLD. Thry are not looking for LD in return unless they are exempt from the draft

Risto/Montour...one could be moved...

An isdue not mentioned is Montour is an RFA one yr from UFA. How much does it take to sign him? I see Buffalo offering a 4 yr $22M contract extension.

Besides Joki who is young, they also have other RD on ELC or yet to be signed. Thry May have talked. If he is asking for $6.5M or more then this could push him to be traded.

Ristolainen is under contract till 2022 and when he is done he will be 27 to start 22/23 season. Buffalo isn’t trading him for pennies on the dollar. His asking price is likely a similar age forward who is top 6 or is still young with higher upside. If they traded him for picks and prospects, it would be for a mid 1st in the teens and a top prospect who is expansion exempt and something else.

If they trade Ristokainen they will lose a physical presence.

This is why I don’t think it’s a stretch to play Risto st RW as a power forward type.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Wishful thinking but I doubt there’s any interest in Bogosian and very limited interest in Scandella. Even if moved Scandella isn’t returning anything of value yet is finally playing ok.

If Risto is a no, Dahlin is absolutely a no and McCabe just got a letter on his chest.

That leaves Miller and Montour maybe but both were recently acquired and Montour is injuried. When he returns one would expect he’s the odd man out yet you wouldn’t be selling high on him so does that make sense?

Outside Risto nobody is returning anything that helps Buffalo and since apparently they aren’t happy with the offers for Risto I could only imagine how impressed they’d be with offers on Scandella, Bogosian or Miller...aka insert other clubs cap dump here

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Wishful thinking but I doubt there’s any interest in Bogosian and very limited interest in Scandella. Even if moved Scandella isn’t returning anything of value yet is finally playing ok.

If Risto is a no, Dahlin is absolutely a no and McCabe just got a letter on his chest.

That leaves Miller and Montour maybe but both were recently acquired and Montour is injuried. When he returns one would expect he’s the odd man out yet you wouldn’t be selling high on him so does that make sense?

Outside Risto nobody is returning anything that helps Buffalo and since apparently they aren’t happy with the offers for Risto I could only imagine how impressed they’d be with offers on Scandella, Bogosian or Miller...aka insert other clubs cap dump here

Miller's played great for Buffalo so far, and he's locked into a good contract for another 3 years. He's definitely not the odd man out here.

Scandella and Bogosian aren't guys you expect to be wowed by the offers for. Crummy return for crummy assets is fine.

Reactions: Chainshot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad