Speculation: Sabres offering Cody Franson 2-year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmband

Feb 15, 2010
Boston, Ma
When does the damn offer expire? Kind of tired of making fair offers (assuming he has a formal offer) leveraged for deals elsewhere. Take it or leave it Cody. No hard feelings either way but make a decision.

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
Clearly this would be a desperation move. He wants two years? Thats about 163 games and 3 periods too long for me. If we're this desperate, call AZ and get John Scott back here, he is a better defensemen.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
When does the damn offer expire? Kind of tired of making fair offers (assuming he has a formal offer) leveraged for deals elsewhere. Take it or leave it Cody. No hard feelings either way but make a decision.

There's a whole lot of conjecture in this post. He may not have an offer, if he does the offer may not be considered "fair", if the offer is fair he might be discussing it with his family, he may not even be talking to other teams, the Sabres may not care if he answers now or in two weeks, etc.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
There's a whole lot of conjecture in this post. He may not have an offer, if he does the offer may not be considered "fair", if the offer is fair he might be discussing it with his family, he may not even be talking to other teams, the Sabres may not care if he answers now or in two weeks, etc.

True. But it seems to me that the Murray era is accompanied by pretty accurate 'rumors', so I would be surprised if this one didn't turn out to be true. It's too specific for it not to be in the offer stage.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
He won't accept. 2 yrs is not what he's looking for, and there is most likely a couple of 3 year or more deals he's looking at. Most likely why he hasn't accepted the offer imo.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
He won't accept. 2 yrs is not what he's looking for, and there is most likely a couple of 3 year or more deals he's looking at. Most likely why he hasn't accepted the offer imo.

That could be the case. But no matter what he wants, the reality on the ground will eventually make the decision for him.

I'm guessing right now the likely situation is our offer is his backup position. He still wants 3 or more years but still isn't getting the offers. So he can still purse the longer deal knowing our contract offer isn't likely to go anywhere in the immediate future. It will boil down to how realistic he and his agent think his chances of landing a longer deal are. If they feel waiting it out could lead to one this may not play out for a bit. On the flip side they may feel a longer term deal is not looking very likely and he may accept our deal or one similar with a better team.

I doubt Murray is all that worried about it one way of another. He's rattled off several ways he plans on attacking the defensive depth situation. If this doesn't work out he'll move on to something else.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
He better make a decision in the next week or so. He's not getting the dollars with the years he wants. It's one or the other, at best. And we are probly the best bet. It's nnot another damn year deal, and it will be solid $.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
If he's not getting the dollars, the term, OR the team he wants then he may just be waiting to sign with a contender for 1 year. It hasn't exactly worked out yet for many defensemen but I probably wouldn't accept a 2 year deal from Buffalo either.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
This is one of those signing where in my mind right now I'm like I don't even want this guy please move on. Then again if we signed him for 2 years or less I doubt I'd really care. I feel like our bottom 2 is jammed up enough with guys already. Weber and gorges aren't going away anytime soon and mccabe isn't 2 years off at the expense of Cody franson

dmband

Feb 15, 2010
Boston, Ma
If he's not getting the dollars, the term, OR the team he wants then he may just be waiting to sign with a contender for 1 year. It hasn't exactly worked out yet for many defensemen but I probably wouldn't accept a 2 year deal from Buffalo either.

Agree. And this is why I don't understand an open ended offer from the sabres. Let him leverage the offer and work a longer term deal with somebody else or turn down Sabres offer close to camp and take a 1 year deal with a contender

Full confidence in murray but franson not difference maker this year or next. Take it or leave it and let us know.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
This is one of those signing where in my mind right now I'm like I don't even want this guy please move on. Then again if we signed him for 2 years or less I doubt I'd really care. I feel like our bottom 2 is jammed up enough with guys already. Weber and gorges aren't going away anytime soon and mccabe isn't 2 years off at the expense of Cody franson

Depends on your definition of "anytime soon". Weber will be gone at or before the end of this season.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Depends on your definition of "anytime soon". Weber will be gone at or before the end of this season.

Not to derail but why? I feel like I'd be fine with signing him on the cheap. He's serviceable as a 5/6 right? We could lock him down to help average out future salaries coming up

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

As long as he is on the cheap the sabres will keep him around. He's a locker room guy that seems to be very well thought of. I think he's the perfect 7th dman until we are against the cap and need a minimum wage 7th

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
What's a win win for Weber? He previously signed 3 years 5 mill total.

4 years 7 mill next? It would b e a raise..:nod:

Have to imagine he's going to be looking for a nice paycheck, since it might be the only one he ever gets, especially if he has a strong year. He'd make a lot of sense to a bottom feeder team looking to fill in the roster with veteran leadership. Remember Adrej Meszaros got a 4 million dollar deal from the Sabres. Not saying Weber gets that, but something like 2 years 5 million wouldn't be crazy.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Have to imagine he's going to be looking for a nice paycheck, since it might be the only one he ever gets, especially if he has a strong year. He'd make a lot of sense to a bottom feeder team looking to fill in the roster with veteran leadership.Not saying Weber gets that, but something like 2 years 5 million wouldn't be crazy.

Adam McQuaid money?

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Weber's proven he can play in the NHL. He's not sticking around for #7 money.

Unless something drastically changes, no reason to even talk to weber about a contract till after the season. If we are out of the playoffs come Feb, we move him for assets. Period.

If we are in the hunt, keep him around and re-evaluate.

OcAirlines

Jul 18, 2009

I don't have much of an opinion but that wasn't a good analysis and certainly not one that someone should use to back up his opinion in this discussion... What the guy in the video did is something you can do for every single player in the NHL, every player has good shifts and bad ones and especially defensemen will always lose battles from time to time or will be in the wrong position to stop a pass, that's just the nature of the game. At the end of the day a video like this is meaningless in my opinion because it's just way too easy to cherry-pick sequences so that they fit your view, not even to mention that there were a bunch of clips in there where the guy put way more blame on Franson than he deserved imho.

Of course Franson has weaknesses and he certainly doesn't seem to be a great defensive player, but that's just how things go in free agency, these are the only players you will get at a somewhat reasonable price or term, especially as a team that can't offer a player a very good chance at a cup. I'm really surprised how picky some people already are even though our defense is in dire need of some improvements at the moment. Outside of maybe one or two guys our defense is full of question marks at this point, with pretty much everyone either coming back from an injury, being young and unproven or not having a higher ceiling than that of a bottom-pairing defenseman. A guy like Franson, despite all his flaws, would still be an improvement over almost all of these guys.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
When that player with said "awful plays" reel has a reputation for being a bad defender, correlates strongly with goals against statistics, and hasn't been signed by a team yet, he probably sucks.

OcAirlines

Jul 18, 2009
It's not like our defense doesn't suck either, it doesn't take a whole lot to improve it at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad