Speculation: Sabres offering Cody Franson 2-year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Matt Donovan is getting forgotten in this thread. He has some upside but was kind of squeezed out of the Islanders system, and I think he has a shot at a top 6 job.

Regardless, the lack of high end LHD is definitely our biggest hole right now. If there's anyone I could see being able to switch and play well over there it's Pysyk. He plays such a smooth and simple game and has been slow cooking in the A for a while now. Pysyk is our #3D right now as far as I am concerned

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Franson *is* kinda garbage at times but his Toronto numbers aren't so bad on the whole. A lot of the problem in Nashville was usage

He's better than Gorges at least

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Putting Colaiacovo on the top pairing just about made me throw up in my mouth. He's nothing more than a 7th defensemen on any NHL roster. He's more an emergency AHL call up. Ugh...that's just terrible. Bogo-Ristolainen, Franson-Gorges, Pysyk-Weber would be my closest guess.

He was fine on the top pair with Petriangelo on a contender..

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
No way does a Franson signing portend a Pysyk trade. Apples and oranges in terms of skills, role, style, age, and future fit with BUF when they are a hopeful deep run playoff team.

Those dots should not be connected.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
And?

Those projections show that he's either stealing TOI/favorable situations from better/higher upside players or cast in a terrible use of his skillset.

Meh. I disagree. I don't see him stealing ice time from Risto, Bogo, or Pysyk.

That means he needs to beat out:
Gorges
Weber
Cola
Donovan
McCabe
Ruh

None of those guys are guarantees to make the squad out of camp. Adding more competition is fine, imo. I think McCabe and Ruh could use another year in the 'A' unless they have an amazing camp. There's nothing wrong with slow cooking prospects. The rest of the group doesn't mean squat to us long term, so where they get penciled in this year doesn't bother me one bit.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
How did he do that while averaging bottom pairing TOI in St Louis?

Colo played 83% of his ES shifts with Petriangelo that year.

Looking at total time on ice is misleading (he doesn't pk, and he missed games with injury)... You could say that he was 4th ES, but that's only a few seconds difference between 2nd and 4th

The top 2 pairs were
Colo-Petri
Jackman-shattenkirk

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Colo played 83% of his ES shifts with Petriangelo that year.

Looking at total time on ice is misleading (he doesn't pk, and he missed games with injury)... You could say that he was 4th ES, but that's only a few seconds difference between 2nd and 4th

The top 2 pairs were
Colo-Petri
Jackman-shattenkirk

What year?

13-14 - Cola was 8th in EV TOI/GP (and only played 25 games)
11-12 - Cola was 4th in EV TOI/GP (and was 1:57 behind Petro, 30 seconds behind Jackman, and 7 seconds behind Shattenkirk)
10-11 - Cola was 8th in EV TOI/GP
09-10 - Cola was 6th in EV TOI/GP
08-09 - Cola was 5th in EV TOI/GP

And given that he's averaged 22 pro games over the past three seasons, I think counting on anything out of Colaiacovo is a huge gamble.

It's like counting on Donovan, as well.

They are both lotto tickets.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
What year?

13-14 - Cola was 8th in EV TOI/GP (and only played 25 games)
11-12 - Cola was 4th in EV TOI/GP (and was 1:57 behind Petro, 30 seconds behind Jackman, and 7 seconds behind Shattenkirk)
10-11 - Cola was 8th in EV TOI/GP
09-10 - Cola was 6th in EV TOI/GP
08-09 - Cola was 5th in EV TOI/GP

And given that he's averaged 22 pro games over the past three seasons, I think counting on anything out of Colaiacovo is a huge gamble.

It's like counting on Donovan, as well.

They are both lotto tickets.

11-12

I think colo has proven significantly more than Donovan. Injuries derailed his career. His injury history is a legit concern. He's not a lotto ticket. More like betting on red.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
11-12

I think colo has proven significantly more than Donovan. Injuries derailed his career. His injury history is a legit concern. He's not a lotto ticket. More like betting on red.

Ironically, that was his worst offensive season in that four year run in St Louis.

He's a lotto ticket if you are looking for him to be a top pairing guy.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
I don't wanna trade pysyk. But can we swap one of our RHD now for a team that has excess LHD?

Maybe it's best to just move someone over. pysyk can do it.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I don't wanna trade pysyk. But can we swap one of our RHD now for a team that has excess LHD?

Maybe it's best to just move someone over. pysyk can do it.

Pysyk played the bulk of last season on the left side in Rochester. I'm pretty sure that was done with the idea of him playing top 4 minutes this coming season.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I'm somewhere between indifferent and annoyed unless it allows us to trade, say, Pysyk + Larsson or something like that for a legit top 4 LD. I don't really care to watch Cody Franson for the next two seasons.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I don't see why Pysyk has to go if we sign Franson.

Lots of teams don't have the "ideal"3 LH D 3 RH D mix.

We need another d-man.

Bogo, Risto, Gorges, Pysyk, Weber, Colo

Are our top 6. We need another top 4 d-man. Without giving up assets, Franson is the best d-man available ATM. Will that change? Possibly d-men could break loose closer to camp.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I don't see why Pysyk has to go if we sign Franson.

Lots of teams don't have the "ideal"3 LH D 3 RH D mix.

We need another d-man.

Bogo, Risto, Gorges, Pysyk, Weber, Colo

Are our top 6. We need another top 4 d-man. Without giving up assets, Franson is the best d-man available ATM. Will that change? Possibly d-men could break loose closer to camp.

Pretty much.

There is no rush to make trades even if we do sign Franson (Pysyk, Larsson, Foligno).

There is no harm in adding Franson for 2 years.

He's either going to provide enough offense to justify his defensive problems or he's not. His contract won't be a problem to either move or set him aside and bring in McCabe or someone else.

It's pretty much a zero risk move that allows you time to access where you're at. Not sure why anyone would think it's wise to simply trade someone as a result of acquiring Cody Franson.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I'm gonna turn this in a different direction.

Getting Franson might mean we get to see more of Pysyk.

Right now we've sort of pencilled in Bogo, Risto, and Pysyk as the three righties. That means 3rd pairing minutes for Pysyk.

But he's also spent some time in Rochester playing the left side. So now, let's say they add Franson to be the 3rd righty. Now Pysyk can play a top 4 role on the left instead of Weber or Colaiacovo.

Gorges-Bogosian
Pysyk-Ristolainen
Weber/Colaiacovo-Franson

And Donovan in the mix somewhere.

Still would be nice to get Gorges to the 3rd pairing but a Pysyk-Ristolainen pairing should be making most of you salivate.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I'm gonna turn this in a different direction.

Getting Franson might mean we get to see more of Pysyk.

Right now we've sort of pencilled in Bogo, Risto, and Pysyk as the three righties. That means 3rd pairing minutes for Pysyk.

But he's also spent some time in Rochester playing the left side. So now, let's say they add Franson to be the 3rd righty. Now Pysyk can play a top 4 role on the left instead of Weber or Colaiacovo.

Gorges-Bogosian
Pysyk-Ristolainen
Weber/Colaiacovo-Franson

And Donovan in the mix somewhere.

Still would be nice to get Gorges to the 3rd pairing but a Pysyk-Ristolainen pairing should be making most of you salivate.

I'd be surprised if Donovan wasn't in Rochester barring multiple injuries. I'd rather have Ruhwedal up than Donovan.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I'd be surprised if Donovan wasn't in Rochester barring multiple injuries. I'd rather have Ruhwedal up than Donovan.

Even with signing Franson, Donovan still gives us something we lack on the back end -- offensive skill.

Ruhwedel is a nice #6/7 guy in the NHL. Can't really play the PP that well and shouldn't really see that much time on the PK. He's best at ES. Donovan could very well be just as effective at ES, but he'll be much better on the PP.

I'd rather see Donovan here than Ruh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad