Speculation: Sabres offering Cody Franson 2-year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
A couple of friends are trying to convince me this isnt a bad idea. If we sign him, then package him to get a LD, or their second senario of signing him as an insurance policy and trading him to a contender at the deadline....

Either way, we risk actually putting him on skates, scoring two goals and going minus 3 every night....and then there is that whole skating backward thing......please God, don't do this to us......

Last edited:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I don't think the signing would be a bad signing .... I just don't think it would be a good signing either ...

It's basically where we are right now. Lumps must be taken.

This is a lump.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
if Risto has a break out season almost any Dman on the roster could play alongside him; Mike Weber already has shown he can disappear for a season, but he doesn't need to do it for a season just long enough to lose his spot in the top 6; Gorges is as likely to be injured by New years as anyone on the roster; Colo and Gorges getting passed by anyone for injuries/poor play shouldn't be shocking; the only 2 things on that list I'd classify as unlikely is actually signing Franson and McCabe breaking out in the top 4

if McCabe has an amazing season and plays in the top 4, everything else is kind of a likely result/cause

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
This is only a bad signing if this prohibits us from acquiring a better defensmen, and the contract is for no more than 2 years.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

if thats what you think I meant I'm sorry for you. Its a patchwork defense, at best. The only likely scenario is that Risto and Bogo are in the top 4 and Pysyk makes the roster. After that anyone that says they know how this grab bag of pieces will fit together through the season is playing bull plop hop scotch. Risto may be a top defender this season, he might not; Bogo might spend half the season injured he might not; Gorges might play like a highly experienced veteran leader or he might play like a broken old man; the handful of journeyman they brought in might look like last years mess or a couple might surface with gas in the tank. Take your pick, there's more question marks on this defense then in the transcripts of a game of clue.

If anyone in this mess surprises people with how well he plays it'll be Jake McCabe.

Personally, I'm prepared to see every D combination there is throughout the course of this season.

Last edited:

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
eh, in the right environment Franson could be an asset. We have enough 2 way forwards and defensive defensemen to compensate for him. I'm not concerned about lefty righty pairings and Franson is a better player than Colaiacovo, Gorges, Weber and more established than Donovan, McCabe, Pysyk.

Not necessarily a Franson fan, think it would be a boneheaded move to sign him actually, but that doesn't mean he isn't better than each and every one of our current (free agent) options. I give it a 1% chance we sign him tho.

Would be a desperation signing by an inept GM for sure.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
if thats what you think I meant I'm sorry for you. Its a patchwork defense, at best. The only likely scenario is that Risto and Bogo are in the top 4 and Pysyk makes the roster. After that anyone that says they know how this grab bag of pieces will fit together through the season is playing bull plop hop scotch. Risto may be a top defender this season, he might not; Bogo might spend half the season injured he might not; Gorges might play like a highly experienced veteran leader or he might play like a broken old man; the handful of journeyman they brought in might look like last years mess or a couple might surface with gas in the tank. Take your pick, there's more question marks on this defense then in the transcripts of a game of clue.

If anyone in this mess surprises people with how well he plays it'll be Jake McCabe.

Personally, I'm prepared to see every D combination there is throughout the course of this season.

See how quickly you changed your tune...

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
eh, in the right environment Franson could be an asset. We have enough 2 way forwards and defensive defensemen to compensate for him. I'm not concerned about lefty righty pairings and Franson is a better player than Colaiacovo, Gorges, Weber and more established than Donovan, McCabe, Pysyk.

Not necessarily a Franson fan, think it would be a boneheaded move to sign him actually, but that doesn't mean he isn't better than each and every one of our current (free agent) options. I give it a 1% chance we sign him tho.

Would be a desperation signing by an inept GM for sure.

Ignoring the views in the 1st paragraph, aren't the last 2 paragraphs contradictory? If a player is the best FA option at his position available, how is acquiring that player, by a team which needs another player at that position, a "desperation" move, and only possible by an "inept GM"?

The inferred alternatives are that either the Sabres don't need another d-man (if so, why not state that), or that GMs should not improve their rosters (illogical).

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
The sabres need help in the offensive zone from the defence and on the power play. It is definitely an area of weakness right now.

If you are not trying to be competitive this year then sitting and waiting until next year or when a trade is possible seems to be the best option.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I still maintain that the Sabres need to add one, if not two, more defensemen. Maybe not solely if one looks at the NHL roster, but when it comes to Rochester, having one if not two of McCabe/Ruhwedel/Donovan down is pretty much essential. True there is the possibility of any further additions being at the AHL level rather than the NHL, but considering veterans limits, it would be far more beneficial to have some of those three players sent down since as far as I can recall none of the three count towards the veteran limit. They are not likely to find other non-veteran limit AHLers of the same caliber.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I still maintain that the Sabres need to add one, if not two, more defensemen. Maybe not solely if one looks at the NHL roster, but when it comes to Rochester, having one if not two of McCabe/Ruhwedel/Donovan down is pretty much essential. True there is the possibility of any further additions being at the AHL level rather than the NHL, but considering veterans limits, it would be far more beneficial to have some of those three players sent down since as far as I can recall none of the three count towards the veteran limit. They are not likely to find other non-veteran limit AHLers of the same caliber.

I'm with you. I'd still like to grab two more darts on the LHD side. I think they need to build as much depth as possible over there and hope one or two turn into legitimate top-4 guys. At this point, from what's available, I'd like Visnovsky and Schlemko.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
I'm with you. I'd still like to grab two more darts on the LHD side. I think they need to build as much depth as possible over there and hope one or two turn into legitimate top-4 guys. At this point, from what's available, I'd like Visnovsky and Schlemko.

Third-ed in general. We got rid of out two puck movers in Myers and Ehrhoff. They were not replaced. The issue I have with your idea of Visnovsky is that he is another defensive D which we have a bunch of (Weber, Georges, Bogo) and our so called offensive D (Risto and Colaiacovo) are actually 2 way guys. I'd rather have a dynamic puck moving D to keep the backend something other than a bunch of stay at home types.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Third-ed in general. We got rid of out two puck movers in Myers and Ehrhoff. They were not replaced. The issue I have with your idea of Visnovsky is that he is another defensive D which we have a bunch of (Weber, Georges, Bogo) and our so called offensive D (Risto and Colaiacovo) are actually 2 way guys. I'd rather have a dynamic puck moving D to keep the backend something other than a bunch of stay at home types.
Visnovsky is an offensive D man. Well, what's left of him.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Visnovsky is an offensive D man. Well, what's left of him.

I was thinking of Vitaly Vishnevskiy, who has not even played in the league for years. Thanks for correcting me, no more posting at 11pm after a day of BBQ'ing.

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
Hopefully this has been resolved, Murray saw the error of his ways and pulled the deal off the table....

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Ignoring the views in the 1st paragraph, aren't the last 2 paragraphs contradictory? If a player is the best FA option at his position available, how is acquiring that player, by a team which needs another player at that position, a "desperation" move, and only possible by an "inept GM"?

The inferred alternatives are that either the Sabres don't need another d-man (if so, why not state that), or that GMs should not improve their rosters (illogical).

I was thinking along the lines of Franson is the least bad UFA (of all the bad options). The alternative would be acquiring a good defender through a trade or being more proactive earlier in free agency.

I do think we need to add at least one defender, and that the team addressed forwards ahead of defense. Not a fan of that strategy as defenders take longer to develop and our mid-20s forwards will be declining before our 22 or under defenders enter their peaks.

This isn't a Myers or Zad agenda either, Bogo replaced Myers and Zad would have benefited spending the upcoming season in Rochester. The blue line moves appear to be lateral for now, with the hope that the kids mature beyond Benoit/Strachan/Weber level within the next 6 years.

-nothing against Weber, he can be a 2nd pairing with the right partner and is fine as a 3rd pair grunt. I do think it would be horrific paired with an offense only defender tho.

Back on point, Bylsma and the staff could find a way to utilize Franson effectively but ideally I wanted a clear top pairing defender. Make a play for Seabrook or another pending UFA from a cap-hell team; we should have cap space for the next 5 years utilizing bridge contracts and with veteran deals expiring.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
I feel like this is one of those moves where Murray says, "Gee, It'd be nice to have one more proven NHL body, especially one who can QB the PP".

We've heard whispers for most of the summer about him. I don't believe Eklund. I just read his stuff to entertain myself and kick around ideas. It just all makes sense. He wants Franson, but not at the fat ass AAV he's been bargaining for. I think he offered him a multi-year deal in the 2-3.5 million range. I also think Franson is holding out for a better deal that will not be offered to him. It seems as though there is a silent waiting game being played.

In the end I think he goes to Boston. It's the best situation for him quite honestly. They have the better overall squad and better chance to make the playoffs. Of course they're only one of the RUMORED teams to be hunting for his services. Their blue line is just as thin as ours.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Will one of the other 29 teams please just sign him...

Sabres have plenty of bodies available - just not many who are proven top pairing / top 4 performers.

You don't need to sign a square peg just because it won't cost assets - instead use your assets to get the right guy moving forward. Murray has done this with the forward group, the Myers/Bogosian swap & his goalie so hopefully he doesn't change his tactics now.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Will one of the other 29 teams please just sign him...

Sabres have plenty of bodies available - just not many who are proven top pairing / top 4 performers.

You don't need to sign a square peg just because it won't cost assets - instead use your assets to get the right guy moving forward. Murray has done this with the forward group, the Myers/Bogosian swap & his goalie so hopefully he doesn't change his tactics now.

square peg? You mean like Franson being productive on the power play and sabres lacking a defenseman for the power play? Or when you say plenty of bodies you mean just plug Weber or Georges there when we are on the powerplay? Just was curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad