Speculation: Sabres offering Cody Franson 2-year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Franson has never really passed my eye-test, which prefers defensemen that play sound, mobile defense first and foremost, but with that said, Corsi stats seem to suggest that despite those perceived shortcomings, you could probably do worse with short-term defense candidates.

B9LKipUCQAQmOzz.png:small
B7MTpePCMAExVDW.png:small

CHGmQISWkAApfdm.png:small

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Franson has never really passed my eye-test, which prefers defensemen that play sound, mobile defense first and foremost, but with that said, Corsi stats seem to suggest that despite those perceived shortcomings, you could probably do worse with short-term defense candidates.

He's never passed my eye test either, but the advanced stats seem to love him.

I think I read somewhere that when he played in Nashville, he was the best possession Dman on that team.

I'm not sure if it's the stats belying the eye test......or the eye test belying the stats.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
He's never passed my eye test either, but the advanced stats seem to love him.

I think I read somewhere that when he played in Nashville, he was the best possession Dman on that team.

I'm not sure if it's the stats belying the eye test......or the eye test belying the stats.

I think he fails most peoples eye tests because when he screws up, he screws up HARD. He isnt as bad as people make him out to be IMO, I see a lot of Toronto games and yes he has cringe worthy moments but other times he looks really solid (Obviously mostly in the O-Zone). Although his corsi stats may be inflated a bit due to him not being afraid to shoot and throw everything on net.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
I think he fits Bylsma system well which tries to the puck out of the D-zone as soon as possible and create pressure in the offensive zone. I'm down for it.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
This means for sure that one of our RHD is going to the left side (or it could be Franson).

PunchImlach is Alive

Jul 15, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
If he wanted to sign in Buffalo he would have signed here already.

He's waiting for a better team IMHO

Ah I wouldn't be so sure of that. The playing field in free agency changes every time a team signs someone these days. Buffalo might have not looked that attractive earlier but as the summer winds down and they become one of the few teams to be able to even offer two years and at his price range, I'm sure it's worth considering if no contenders are blowing up his phone with anything better than that.

Boston could have an edge here but I don't think that means we are totally out, especially when their success for next season doesn't exactly look any more predictable than ours.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

I agree. But if a better team doesn't come through with the money then Buffalo may still be in the mix.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
I think he fails most peoples eye tests because when he screws up, he screws up HARD. He isnt as bad as people make him out to be IMO, I see a lot of Toronto games and yes he has cringe worthy moments but other times he looks really solid (Obviously mostly in the O-Zone). Although his corsi stats may be inflated a bit due to him not being afraid to shoot and throw everything on net.

it sounds silly, and it doesn't make him a good D man, but not nearly enough blue liners have a knack for getting a puck through to the net. So many playoff games are won from that type of play.

2 years, maybe he doesn't pass eye tests. So what, he's a body. I hope he signs.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I think he fits Bylsma system well which tries to the puck out of the D-zone as soon as possible and create pressure in the offensive zone. I'm down for it.
I don't understand this thinking. Franson is a bad skater and isn't exactly a world beater as passing.

Terry Murray will likely be installing our system on D and I pray that Bylsma doesn't want him to use a system similar to the Pittsburgh one. I'm not sure it's a great system to throw on a D core that is either young or old and not good at passing.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I saw a lot of Franson when he played in Sweden during the lockout. I wasn't impressed. Rather disappointed actually, but that could just be a case of expecting an NHL-player to be dominant in SHL. Still, I think he's an interesting player and a two year deal doesn't carry any risk so I'd be fine with signing him. The potential reward is certainly bigger than the risk.

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
Franson > Mike weber/Strachan/Mez/Beniot so that is ok to me

As much as I think Franson sucks, this statement is pretty much true. I'd say Weber is a push but still. Compared to nothing at all, Franson on a 2 year deal might help.

Could you imagine if Buffalo is offering something like 2x$7 million?

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
As much as I think Franson sucks, this statement is pretty much true. I'd say Weber is a push but still. Compared to nothing at all, Franson on a 2 year deal might help.

Could you imagine if Buffalo is offering something like 2x$7 million?

I can't see a guy who's been available to the other 29 teams for nearly two months getting that big of an offer.

I'm on board with giving Franson a shot to show us he can be useful, there's absolutely no downside to it. At very worst, he's an immediate upgrade to our powerplay.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Good luck with that given that September is almost here.

We are about 3 weeks away from camp opening up. It's getting to the point where Franson needs to take the best offer on the table. And with Ehrhoff going to LA, how many teams are knocking at his door?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad