Speculation: Sabres offering Cody Franson 2-year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
For a 2-year deal, costing only money, is there really anything bad about it other than Franson would preferably be left-handed?

Sabres need another proven NHL body with Gorges status uncertain - agreed?

Who would Franson be keeping on the bench?
Pysyk? Doubtful.
McCabe? Maybe.
Ruhwedel? He's a known quantity.
Injuries will happen, and Weber may be dealt at or before trade deadline.

Franson plays well, great. Franson plays poorly, oh well.

Is there a better FA out there, in particular a LHD, with the potential upside of Franson?

Risk/reward is perfect here. I see no harm for BUF.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Is there a better FA out there, in particular a LHD, with the potential upside of Franson?

If Franson was a left-handed shot, he would have been our top target in free agency. The only reason we haven't gone after him much harder is the embarrassment of riches we have on the right side (Risto, Bogo, Pysyk).

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Don't have much issue if its just a 2 yr deal.

I look at him as someone who might be able to play PP time.

Signing him though doesn't stop them from making a LHD trade.

If its 2 yrs--Weber is in his final contract year so Franson could take Weber roster spot then McCabe is up full time.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
For a 2-year deal, costing only money, is there really anything bad about it other than Franson would preferably be left-handed?

Sabres need another proven NHL body with Gorges status uncertain - agreed?

Who would Franson be keeping on the bench?
Pysyk? Doubtful.
McCabe? Maybe.
Ruhwedel? He's a known quantity.
Injuries will happen, and Weber may be dealt at or before trade deadline.

Franson plays well, great. Franson plays poorly, oh well.

Risk/reward is perfect here. I see no harm for BUF.

Well there was Erhoff, but he just signed a bargain basement deal with LA. Timing of this makes me wonder if we were in on him.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Don't have much issue if its just a 2 yr deal.

I look at him as someone who might be able to play PP time.

Signing him though doesn't stop them from making a LHD trade.

If its 2 yrs--Weber is in his final contract year so Franson could take Weber roster spot then McCabe is up full time.

Yea, a 2 year deal leaves little to really dislike about it. We'll be able to flip him in 18 months at the deadline.

And yes, he'll be an asset on the PP and in ozone in general.

But he's atrocious defensively. He makes Mike Weber look like a top shut down defensemen.

He's one of those rare defensemen that you want to play to the point of an early 2 goal lead, and then send him to the locker room for the rest of the game.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY

Clock

May 13, 2006
Harmless, I guess. Get him now and flip him for an asset at the deadline.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
But really, Franson would be fine if all we're hoping for out of him is to be a 3rd pairing RD that gets offensive zone time and plays the PP. My only concern is who the heck you play with him. The minutes he's getting are also what I'd want Georges to get, but their usage is totally contradictory. Same deal with Weber. Usage and minute wise Donovan makes some sense, but then you have two guys who are defensively irresponsible together. Pysyk might be the ideal guy, if he can play left side, but then you have Georges and Weber both in your top 4, with one of them on the top pairing. :laugh:

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
Really not a fan of Franson. At least it'd only be two years, as others have said. Hopefully he doesn't get top 4 minutes...

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I think he could play 3rd pairing RD/LD.

Gorges/Cola-Bogo
Cola/Gorges/Weber-Risto
Franson-Pysyk
Weber with Risto if Gorges isn't healed up.

or

Cola/Gorges-Bogo
Pysyk-Risto
Weber/Gorges/Cola-Franson

McCabe/ Ruh number one call ups depending on who's performing better.

At this point, I'll take what ever we can get. Just get another NHL body in the D-core. Franson will give us some depth we desperately need so we're not picking apart Rochester or rushing guys who aren't ready.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
But really, Franson would be fine if all we're hoping for out of him is to be a 3rd pairing RD that gets offensive zone time and plays the PP. My only concern is who the heck you play with him. The minutes he's getting are also what I'd want Georges to get, but their usage is totally contradictory. Same deal with Weber. Usage and minute wise Donovan makes some sense, but then you have two guys who are defensively irresponsible together. Pysyk might be the ideal guy, if he can play left side, but then you have Georges and Weber both in your top 4, with one of them on the top pairing. :laugh:

In having the same struggle

How does the backend fit together, not only in pairs but in usage/role

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Colo-Bogo
Weber-Risto
Gorges-Franson
X Pysyk

Can't see Pysyk being scratched unless he really doesn't look good this year. Especially since we're not in win now mentality. I'd say him playing a top 4 role is more likely than him being scratched. Though I'd still prefer him on the 3rd pairing.

Weber/Colo-Bogo: Heavy lifting, all d zone starts
Georges-Risto: Average role, average minutes, average usage
Pysyk-Franson: Lighter minutes, lots of ozone starts

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Can't see Pysyk being scratched unless he really doesn't look good this year. Especially since we're not in win now mentality. I'd say him playing a top 4 role is more likely than him being scratched. Though I'd still prefer him on the 3rd pairing.

Weber/Colo-Bogo: Heavy lifting, all d zone starts
Georges-Risto: Average role, average minutes, average usage
Pysyk-Franson: Lighter minutes, lots of ozone starts

I think ultimately trying to predict these pairings/usage is futile... this is going to have to be figured out in camp/preseason/early season... outside of Weber-Risto having some solid success/chemistry together, there's really nothing to go off of. And I happen to believe that chemistry/fit is a huge component in d pair success.

I just hope that Bogo and Risto remain our top 4 righties...

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Maybe this is the precursor to a trade involving Pysyk for a top 4 LHD. Then Franson can play on the 3rd pairing and no one has to play on their off wing.

I'd miss Pysyk though.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
In having the same struggle

How does the backend fit together, not only in pairs but in usage/role
Pysyk's ability to play the left side, and to a lesser extent Jake McCabe's existence are the X factors.

If a kid can play ES shutdown minutes:

Pysyk-Bogo high QoC / all situations
Coli-Risto high TOI / offensive situations
Gorges-Weber/whoever low TOI / defensive situations / prevent goals at all costs, regardless of possession directive

If not

Coli-Bogo
Pysyk-Risto
Gorges/Weber

Same roles.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Maybe this is the precursor to a trade involving Pysyk for a top 4 LHD. Then Franson can play on the 3rd pairing and no one has to play on their off wing.

I'd miss Pysyk though.

Or Pysyk or Risto move to the left side...

Risto-Bogo
Weber-Pysyk
Gorges-Franson

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Pysyk's ability to play the left side, and to a lesser extent Jake McCabe's existence are the X factors.

Gorges-Weber/whoever low TOI / defensive situations / prevent goals at all costs, regardless of possession directive

If not

Coli-Bogo
Pysyk-Risto
Gorges/Weber

Same roles.

You forgot Franson. In the Fronson thread :laugh:

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee

If not

Coli-Bogo
Pysyk-Risto
Gorges/Weber

Same roles.

Putting Colaiacovo on the top pairing just about made me throw up in my mouth. He's nothing more than a 7th defensemen on any NHL roster. He's more an emergency AHL call up. Ugh...that's just terrible. Bogo-Ristolainen, Franson-Gorges, Pysyk-Weber would be my closest guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad