Sabres Head Coach Search 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Usage issues (which are closely tied to lines) were a huge story of this season and of Phil's tenure.

Babs doesn't have the shine he did four years ago. If you want to talk systems, his team's stretch passing today would have made Bylsma blush. Abysmal puck support

If anything has become really obvious to me, it's that the Q's and Babcocks of the world really thrive with a committed veteran team. Then there's coaches like Trotz, Lavy, Boudreau, Gallant, and Deboer that have strong technical systems and can communicate to their team regardless of roster construction.

That being said, I was listening to JW the other day and he mentioned something that was dead on; To paraphrase - Was there a more franchise defining game than that game 7 for Toronto?

If they won:
  • Progression, a step forward from last year
  • Without Tampa in the picture, possible open road to the cup
  • No one is considering firing Babs
  • No one is considering roster surgery
  • "We're young and on the right path, stay the course"
Now that they lost:
  • Babs job in jeopardy?
  • Questions about roster construction (i.e. they're not built to win in the playoffs)
  • Can't even get past Boston, how the hell will they ever get past the elite teams in the league?
  • "The sky is f***ing falling!"
I still think that they just bring it all back (for the most part) and take another crack at it, Dubas seems way to smart to make panic moves. But that fan base will certainly be full of irrational hot takes for the foreseeable future.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Who are we, as Buffalo fans, to be picky about hiring Babcock?

The 2015-2016 Toronto Maple Leafs, when he was hired, were levels above the current Buffalo Sabres with a worse roster in terms of competitiveness. I would love to see what he can do with a Rasmus Dahlin, Jack Eichel, and Sam Reinhart on the team.

I don't care about his recent playoff record, I don't care about his line usage. I want him to straighten this franchise out, something he has shown to do in the past. If he can't succeed in the playoffs, THEN I will worry about that when that time comes. But until then, I want the best coach available/possible to be hired so they can put us on the right path. At least then, we can figure out once and for all, is it the players, or is it the coaching. And we can then plan accordingly.

Reactions: 5 Minute Major

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I don't see Babcock getting fired. I don't think anymore NHL coaches get fired.

I think Babs gets 1 more year.
I think so too because that is how things work with Buffalo, when good coaches hit the market we are stuck with the Housley's and when we do a coaching search the market is slim.

We will hire someone this year and next year Babs, Laviolette, Beaudreu and others will be on the market.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
I think so too because that is how things work with Buffalo, when good coaches hit the market we are stuck with the Housley's and when we do a coaching search the market is slim.

We will hire someone this year and next year Babs, Laviolette, Beaudreu and others will be on the market.
images

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt

We should bring in an interim coach then.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I don't think Babcock's going anywhere, but the strength of his will and decisive personality and his engagement behind the bench is the antithesis of Housley, and certainly in the direction I believe the Sabres need to go with their next hire.

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
Give me Keefe or Babs lol.
In a hypothetical where Babs gets fired and we hire him, then the Leafs would likely promote Keefe.

So why not just go for Keefe, let the Leafs Fire Babcock next year if he underperforms, and then they can deal with a dire coaching search after we’ve already stolen their next-in-line. Take the rug right out from underneath them (assuming Keefe works out).

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Coaching the Marlies is probably more rewarding than coaching the Sabres. Not financially, but in every other facet.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
FIRE BOTTERILL RIGHT NOW!

Darren Dreger just told Biron and Peters that Jacques Martin is a top candidate for the Buffalo job according to his sources.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
Dreger just said on WGR that Jacques Martin is among the top candidates. I don’t know a lot about him though if anyone could share some insight.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

Except the market wasn't slim this year, there were good options available. Botts just didn't get it done and now we pick at the remaining scraps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad