Sabres Head Coach Search 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Martin will make Bylsma era teams like exciting hockey.

Good luck getting any offensive UFAs to sign here. "Hey do you want to play the 1-2-2 in a tightly disciplined system in a small market on a team that hasn't made the playoffs in one of the toughest divisions in hockey?"

Well, do they care more about getting offensive UFAs and playing entertaining hockey or winning?

Most people would want Trotz and he isn’t succeeding in NY because he plays a wide open style that appeals to offensive UFAs.

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
Updated Sabres coaching candidate list post Dreger information April 24.

Jacques Martin Pit
Todd Richards TB
Rikard Gronberg Swe
Sheldon Keefe Tor
Chris Taylor Roc

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
You said you don't see a difference between Martin and AV/McLellan. Not being a head coach in 8 years is a pretty major difference.
He's been an assistant. Not being a head coach was likely his choice.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I feel like you guys are all confusing Martin with Jacques Lemaire... Sure Martin had some tight defensive teams, but everyone did during that era. Once Ottawa got more talent they were among the best offensive teams in the league.

And from what I can remember those Canadiens teams were pretty devoid of offensive talent.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Botterill: “we want to play up tempo aggressive hockey”

Also Botterill: “what about Jacques Martin?”

Botterill’s actions never match his words.

Still can’t believe he dropped Sam’s name when boasting about center depth after trading ROR, and then didn’t even try him at center. He comes across as totally clueless, and the results have so far confirm that he likely is.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
If they do go with Martin perhaps this is a organisation philosophy shift to a more defensive Style like the Islanders and Trots maybe they're just so much room to make up that playing with speed and offensively does not make sense it certainly is a double-edged sword though in my opinion. As others have mentioned he is not going to be an attractive magnet for free agents but perhaps the organization needs a good ass kicker.

Anyone know if any of the Pittsburgh players have come out and showered Martin with any praise?

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Martin isn’t my first choice, but he is very experienced and he does have experience turning a team around.

He took over an Ottawa team that was only a few years removed from expansion (they were in their 4th season).

The Senators had only 8 total wins 2 years in a row when Martin took over.

By his 3rd full year Ottawa finished 1st in the northeast. They went on to finish 1st in the northeast 2 more times in the next 4 years.

He was also brought in 2 separate times in Pittsburgh to stabilize the bench (once with Bylsma and then again when Mike Johnson was fired and Mike Sullivan promoted).

So maybe he wouldn’t be the worst choice to help stabilize this organization.

Plus, he could be moved into another role if and when Chris Taylor is ready.
He has front office experience and has moved to front office roles numerous times in the past.

Ultimately, botterill is the one that is (likely) betting his job on whoever he hired next, so I’ll jist have to trust him.

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
Martin isn’t my first choice, but he is very experienced and he does have experience turning a team around.

He took over an Ottawa team that was only a few years removed from expansion (they were in their 4th season).

By his 3rd full year Ottawa finished 1st in the northeast. They went on to finish 1st in the northeast 2 more times in the next 4 years.

He was also brought in 2 separate times in Pittsburgh to stabilize the bench (once with Bylsma and then again when Mike Johnson was fired and Mike Sullivan promoted).

He has front office experience and has moved to front office roles numerous times in the past.

Actually, the more I think about it the less I am upset at a potential Martin hire...

Right where I am. Not my first choice, but my clear favorite of the older veteran coach options. Hes shown the ability to adapt his game

Deleted member 27798

Updated Sabres coaching candidate list post Dreger information April 24.

Jacques Martin Pit
Todd Richards TB
Rikard Gronberg Swe
Sheldon Keefe Tor
Chris Taylor Roc
Doesn't sound like a GM who knows what he wants in a coach..

Martin...Tons of experience
Richards...6 years as an NHL HC...misses playoffs 5 years and the other year got ousted in the 1st round
Gronberg...Euro coach who no one knows how he will transition to the NHL coaching ranks
Keefe...AHL HC with a lot of success
Taylor...AHL HC with little success

So let me repeat myself...Botts what do you want in a HC?

Last edited by a moderator:

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

Ultimately, botterill is the one that is (likely) betting his job on whoever he hired next, so I’ll jist have to trust him.
Martin's a terrific teacher, disciplined, and organized. He doesn't put up with any crap. If he had been hired instead of Housley, this team would be ready to win now. I would not be surprised if he wanted no part of it then.

Jacques Martin (ice hockey) - Wikipedia

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
My knee jerk reaction is "what the f*** are they doing with Jacques Martin?!" which means it's probably the right hire. Especially since my knee jerk for Bylsma was "okay, well he can certainly get us in the playoffs." And Housley was "yeah, what a smart f***ing hire." My track record is bad.

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
You see Dorian and Melnyk are trying to get Martin You say same old senators Then you see your team’s name in there And realized you joined the clown organizations

Reactions: lancaster14

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Is it too late to bring Phil back?

He can learn how to tell which of his players is a disaster who shouldn't be on the ice and which players are good and shouldn't be in the box.

You can learn that in like an hour.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
You see Dorian and Melnyk are trying to get Martin You say same old senators Then you see your team’s name in there And realized you joined the clown organizations

Ottawa is his home, I could definitely see us losing out on him if they're actually interested. The reactions on twitter (and here) would be nuclear though :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad