Sabres Head Coach Search 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
It's hard to predict which coaches will succeed or fail. Sometimes retread coaches work, and sometimes they don't. Sometimes green coaches work, and sometimes they don't. That's why I don't want to adopt a strong opinion about any candidates.

My only criteria is, I don't want to hire a guy that no other NHL team would even consider hiring as head coach. That's my main problem with the "former Sabre" thing. At this point in his career, no other NHL team would consider Lindy Ruff to fill a head coaching vacancy - so why are we even talking about it?

It's also why I was ok with the Housley hiring at the time - he had built up some rep from the World Juniors and assistant coach in NSH and was talked about around the league as a future HC candidate. Housley would have been a reasonable hire for many teams at that time.

Whether they are former Sabres or not, I just want legitimate candidates. I don't want to hire someone for whom the main reason they are even considered for the job is because they have a previous connection with the organization

Reactions: Rasmi

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Would people be open to a feel-good year or two with Lindy, with the idea being to get Taylor some more time (hopefully succeeding) in Rochester? I kinda would. :laugh:
No thanks, if Ruff is brought back he keeps the head coaching job as long as he's successful. The idea of bringing in a placeholder while Taylor gets more experience is defeatist. It's amounts to saying let's tread water lose a few more years until Taylor's ready. If you like Taylor hire him and get him some great assistants.

Reactions: joshjull

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I remain impressed by The Athlete article on Todd Nelson. Also impressed by what Sheldon Keefe has accomplished. I don't think Phil Housley is capable of carrying either's (jockstrap) er......clipboard.

I look at what Montgomery has done with Dallas and feel that could also happen here. Esp. if either of the above is coaching a young team just slightly seasoned with a small group of vets. (Possible via a solid group of graduates from Rochester making the team next season.)

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
Dreger went on WGR this morning and said the Sabres first criteria is HC experience. He then went on to name the names of essentially every potential candidate league wide who has experience from the more ugly (Jacques Martin, Richards) to some of the popular names here (Keefe, Groulx) to some I haven’t heard (Geoff Ward). I didn’t get the sense that he knew all of these were specifically Sabres candidates but he did indicate Botts is casting a wide net.

Also McKenzies podcast says DJ Smith is linked to us.

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
I remain impressed by The Athlete article on Todd Nelson. Also impressed by what Sheldon Keefe has accomplished. I don't think Phil Housley is capable of carrying either's (jockstrap) er......clipboard.

I look at what Montgomery has done with Dallas and feel that could also happen here. Esp. if either of the above is coaching a young team just slightly seasoned with a small group of vets. (Possible via a solid group of graduates from Rochester making the team next season.)

Do you have a link for the Nelson Athletic article? Not seeing one upon my search. Thanks!

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
For what it’s worth I’d be interested in DJ Smith.

Pros:
- Head Coaching experience at the OHL level with massive success. Won the Memorial Cup and OHL when some guy named McDavid was playing in the league.
- Players love him. Really credits him for the player he’s become. Heralded as good at both X and Os and soft skills. Saw a quote that said his Oshawa players would have died to have him have success.
- It’s no secret that the Leafs worst personnel is D and they’ve made strides in that area at even strength in terms of cutting down goals against.
- Maybe he will demand Botts acquire a certain center that won the Memorial Cup for him ;)
- Babcock coaching tree is pretty decent.

Cons:
- Big red flag is he coaches the Leafs PK which is atrocious and killing them right now. Granted the D personnel available to him is not good. At all. Also it’s hard to know Babcocks involvement.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Todd Nelson, DJ Smith, Sheldon Keefe are all names I could get behind. Glad that Botts is casting a wide net. Gronberg would be interesting, I'm sure he will get an interview.

Take your time and make sure it is the right guy this time.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I think Chris Taylor has coached every player on the roster who spent time in Rochester as either their head coach or as an assistant. He played with Pominville and Botteril. He even played with Alex Nylander's father in Rochester in 2010-11. How many more signs do we need to realize he is the chosen one?

MayDayMayDay

Out here doing time bandit shit...
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Lindy Ruff. Paul MacLean. Jack Capuano. Darryl Sutter. Michel Therrien. Bob Hartley.

If experience is the number one criteria, these are the names I want to be hearing.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I think Chris Taylor has coached every player on the roster who spent time in Rochester as either their head coach or as an assistant. He played with Pominville and Botteril. He even played with Alex Nylander's father in Rochester in 2010-11. How many more signs do we need to realize he is the chosen one?

If the Amerks win the Calder Cup, the statues of the French Connection must each shed a tear. Then I will believe.....

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Paralyzed between recognizing sarcasm or googling....

edit: i googled... wow... never knew that. missed those 7 games

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
FB_IMG_1555694709027.jpg

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Jeez, i used to go to games all the time in 2010-11, how did i not remember this? I mean, aside from the fact that he played maybe two weeks worth of games.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Lindy Ruff. Paul MacLean. Jack Capuano. Darryl Sutter. Michel Therrien. Bob Hartley.

If experience is the number one criteria, these are the names I want to be hearing.

If Lindy Ruff is on this list, why aren't Dan Bylsma and Ted Nolan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->