Sabres Head Coach Search 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Hiring Gronborg as an NHL assistant is mildly interesting and unique. Putting the team in the hands of someone without significant season-long league experience seems like it wouldn't be the best option available to the team. And having assistants who've done it is still not the same thing as having the HC being someone with real, tangible, high-level league success.

If we're talking Swedish coaches for a lark, and looking for someone who's actually won at the SHL level and done well at international tournaments of young players as HC it should be Frölunda's Roger Rönnberg. Every year that team is very competitive in the SHL, he's got a U20 gold medal in his second of three seasons as HC of that team, and his teams regularly are near the top of the SHL in goals scored.

Grönborg's got an awesome beard. Rönnberg's got the better resume.
Let's just hire both

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
122 PIM and at a .5 PPG clip. Hard to do when you're always in the box!
Son, let me tell you about Eric Lindros...

Is there any chance Laviolette is let go in Nashville?

He's gotta be the guy if so.
Personally, he grates on me like fingernails on a blackboard, but I'd be thumbs up for the job itself.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I don't know what is more difficult to isolate and fix: A current draw or the Sabres. First car my brother and I cobbled together (a Chevy Chevette parts car used to get a Pontiac T1000 running, cost me $50 and 2 cases beer for his help) had a current draw somewhere so I put a kill switch off the ignition to isolate the battery when it was off...

While performing due diligence on the audio system a red flag was raised when vetting the amplifier. Disconnecting the amp completely stopped the battery drain. At this point I should take it to a shop for the Director of Car Stereo Operations to oversee repair by an experienced General Mechanic. That could end up costing more than a new stereo. My brother, a certified car capologist advises putting in a toggle switch. He also recommends fastening the amp to the bottom of the seat with baling wire because the bolts are so difficult to access. Because I am being thorough I will call some car electronics installers for estimates. The toggle is appealing but if you forget to turn it off, the battery will die.

Reactions: Jim Bob

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
While performing due diligence on the audio system a red flag was raised when vetting the amplifier. Disconnecting the amp completely stopped the battery drain. At this point I should take it to a shop for the Director of Car Stereo Operations to oversee repair by an experienced General Mechanic. That could end up costing more than a new stereo. My brother, a certified car capologist advises putting in a toggle switch. He also recommends fastening the amp to the bottom of the seat with baling wire because the bolts are so difficult to access. Because I am being thorough I will call some car electronics installers for estimates. The toggle is appealing but if you forget to turn it off, the battery will die.
In the older days of less elaborate consoles, mine (a toggle) was mounted to the left of the steering column. I've seen other versions where they're left or right of the steering column, and/or center-dash-high, sometimes using the old-style Dymo adhesive labeler to indicate it as a "Death Ray". Good luck.

edit: remember these?
dymo-label-maker-tape-vintage-embossing-label-maker-best-s-images-on.jpg

edit edit: I also remember once it was installed, I'd leave the keys in the car (floorboard, door pocket, etc.) as I was less concerned about theft. Of course, it was a ~10-year old Pontiac T1000, so I wouldn't have been concerned about it being stolen if it was new.

Last edited:

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Usually it was as you put it a sloppy stream. Not in English, just in Swedish. When I’m finished with my degree and have a little bit of disposable income I intend on investing in the hockey TV subscription where I’ll be able to watch a better quality stream and some of it will be in English. I can follow a little bit by looking at the SHL website to see what the words are for things like gold or assist, but ultimately when you watch the game it’s kind of universal. I love the team songs and the amount that the crowd are into games even during the regular season. My son has gone one step beyond my hockey addiction, I’ll find him watching the lower tier world championships or strange feeds from different Junior League‘s that I have no rooting interest in. He likes finding the B group or C Group Team’s. I don’t know why, but probably to differentiate from the old man. :biglaugh;

We watched about half of game one of the finals series the other day. That of course we have interest in seeing how Davidsson is doing. I think two years ago he and I watched the KHL playoffs because they were during spring break. He thought it was funny that I thought Antiponwas a good player in those games and then the Sabres signed him. I have some pretty robust antivirus and anti-malware software suites on a particular laptop we use for all of this silliness.
I've seen some pretty low tier hockey in my days but not at any great length. I've seen the odd Australian and English game. Saw Philippines square off against Thailand in the Asia games finals the other year. Not low tier by any stretch but I really enjoyed watching the DEL.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
In the older days of less elaborate consoles, mine (a toggle) was mounted to the left of the steering column. I've seen other versions where they're left or right of the steering column, and/or center-dash-high, sometimes using the old-style Dymo adhesive labeler to indicate it as a "Death Ray". Good luck.

edit edit: I also remember once it was installed, I'd leave the keys in the car (floorboard, door pocket, etc.) as I was less concerned about theft. Of course, it was a ~10-year old Pontiac T1000, so I wouldn't have been concerned about it being stolen if it was new.

We would like a Kroy labeller please.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

Rumors of the demise of the DYMO label maker are greatly exaggerated.
https://www.amazon.com/DYMO-Organizer-Express-Embossing-Label/dp/B07QY3PBT1/

Reactions: Buffalo Norsemen

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Our franchise really isn't in a place where we can afford to experiment.

That’s funny because for my entire adult life I’ve thought exactly the opposite about the Sabres and Bills.

I can’t beleive they still think it’s acceptable not to given the place they live in in their leagues.

Reactions: truthbluth

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
That’s funny because for my entire adult life I’ve thought exactly the opposite about the Sabres and Bills.

I can’t beleive they still think it’s acceptable not to given the place they live in in their leagues.

It would make a level of sense if they were still underfunded and needed to adapt to survive. Like Arizona hiring Chayka.

The downside of the Pegula Bucks is no sense of urgency to survive, or need to innovate. So instead of an analytics push, or a massive scouting explosion, or something to find market inefficiencies, we get recycled old-school crap.

I would love a more daring approach, though it feels a bit late in the "process" to jump into something left field at this point. Also I'd have zero confidence they would stick with it for more than a couple of years.

Last edited:

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Fraudcock has been exposed. Bylsma has won a playoff series since Fraudcock's last series win. Egomaniac that won't adapt or change because he knows it all already.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Babcock is the type of coach that would play Sobotka with Eichel and Skinner. He did it in Detroit with Datsyuk and Zetterberg anchoring them with Abdelkader. In game 7 of these playoffs he played Matthew's 18 mins while deploying Brown and Marleau when they were down in the 3rd. He is not some guru and wont win another cup but may be able to take this team to the playoffs.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Babcock is the type of coach that would play Sobotka with Eichel and Skinner. He did it in Detroit with Datsyuk and Zetterberg anchoring them with Abdelkader. In game 7 of these playoffs he played Matthew's 18 mins while deploying Brown and Marleau when they were down in the 3rd. He is not some guru and wont win another cup but may be able to take this team to the playoffs.
It's not really about lines that's killing the Sabres. It's the failure of the players to understand and execute a system. They need a coach with a plan the ability to communicate that plan to the players.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
It's not really about lines that's killing the Sabres. It's the failure of the players to understand and execute a system. They need a coach with a plan the ability to communicate that plan to the players.
and once he gets this team to execute a plan and we pull more layers from the onion we will be complaining about his system and role usage double shifting the grinders while Eichel sits when down in the game.

Detroit fans echoed Babcocks problems when he went to Toronto and now Toronto fans echo the same sentiments.

He hasn't learned or adapted his style for the modern day NHL, hes still playing a grinding game. Admittedly he doesnt have the players on Toronto to execute that grind game but neither do we.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
and once he gets this team to execute a plan and we pull more layers from the onion we will be complaining about his system and role usage double shifting the grinders while Eichel sits when down in the game.

Detroit fans echoed Babcocks problems when he went to Toronto and now Toronto fans echo the same sentiments.

He hasn't learned or adapted his style for the modern day NHL, hes still playing a grinding game. Admittedly he doesnt have the players on Toronto to execute that grind game but neither do we.
I'll worry about that later.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Usage issues (which are closely tied to lines) were a huge story of this season and of Phil's tenure.

Babs doesn't have the shine he did four years ago. If you want to talk systems, his team's stretch passing today would have made Bylsma blush. Abysmal puck support

Reactions: Chainshot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad