Sabres Head Coach Search 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
If it is Gronborg I hope that the staff he assembles has at least 1 former NHL Head Coach on it. There is definitely concern that he has not taken a high level team through the rigors of a possible 9 month season.This is not the Olympics.

Assuming Mike Kitchen goes to Florida to reunite with coach Q, otherwise i'd be very interested to adding Kitch to the bench.
3 times cup winner on the bench with Chicago.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Hiring Gronborg is win win. If he succeeds, that’s what we want. If he crashes and burns, that’s Botts’ ass. On the other brand, if Botts instead goes safe and picks some average retread, and the Sabres improve 10 pts in the standings, that would be the absolute worst ****ing scenario.

Hiring Gronborg as an NHL assistant is mildly interesting and unique. Putting the team in the hands of someone without significant season-long league experience seems like it wouldn't be the best option available to the team. And having assistants who've done it is still not the same thing as having the HC being someone with real, tangible, high-level league success.

If we're talking Swedish coaches for a lark, and looking for someone who's actually won at the SHL level and done well at international tournaments of young players as HC it should be Frölunda's Roger Rönnberg. Every year that team is very competitive in the SHL, he's got a U20 gold medal in his second of three seasons as HC of that team, and his teams regularly are near the top of the SHL in goals scored.

Grönborg's got an awesome beard. Rönnberg's got the better resume.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Does he like pizza?

Has he seen Top Gun?

Is he able to throw and catch a baseball?

(My American criteria).

I had a college buddy that believed the key to being a successful american male (and also the solution to all problems in the universe) is watching all Rocky and Rambo movies.

Of course back then there were only five Rocky movies, and Rocky V was kind of optional according to his drunken rants, I wonder if the Creed movies are now also part of the requirement :dunno:

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Hiring Gronborg as an NHL assistant is mildly interesting and unique. Putting the team in the hands of someone without significant season-long league experience seems like it wouldn't be the best option available to the team. And having assistants who've done it is still not the same thing as having the HC being someone with real, tangible, high-level league success.

If we're talking Swedish coaches for a lark, and looking for someone who's actually won at the SHL level and done well at international tournaments of young players as HC it should be Frölunda's Roger Rönnberg. Every year that team is very competitive in the SHL, he's got a U20 gold medal in his second of three seasons as HC of that team, and his teams regularly are near the top of the SHL in goals scored.

Let’s talk about what really matters when picking an SHL coach, anyone named Rasmus?

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I had a college buddy that believed the key to being a successful american male (and also the solution to all problems in the universe) is watching all Rocky and Rambo movies.

Of course back then there were only five Rocky movies, and Rocky V was kind of optional according to his drunken rants, I wonder if the Creed movies are now also part of the requirement :dunno:
It always stuck in my craw that a Swede played the Russian Ivan Drago. I could never get past that. If Gronborg is half as smart as Dolph Lundgren sign him up.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG

There's also the Dahlin and Victor Olofsson connection. Both played under Rönnberg in Frölunda. He won the Le Mat (SHL Stanley cup) in the 2015/2016 season, won the CHL in 2016, 2017 and 2019. Was also in the CHL finals in 2015. Is in the finals right now of the SHL. Very good with juniors and attracts a lot of talent to Frölunda.

Last edited:
Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
I like both Rönnberg and Grönborg. They both command respect and have had success. Grönborg might be a bit hot headed at times. But no resent incidents, at least. Rönnberg, however, is who I see as the coaching star along with Sam Hallam in Sweden. Grönborg has experience living and coaching in the US, though. Has to be worth something.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
There's also the Dahlin and Victor Olofsson connection. Both played under Rönnberg in Frölunda. He won the Le Mat (SHL Stanley cup) in the 2015/2016 season, won the CHL in 2016, 2017 and 2019. Was also in the CHL finals in 2015. Is in the finals right now of the SHL. Very good with juniors and attracts a lot of talent to Frölunda.

Oh, we are pretty well versed in Frölunda grads. :D

Reactions: Slimmy

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Just as a side note, If an NHL team does not take a chance on Grönborg I assume he will be in the KHL next season.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
So can someone clue me in as to how exactly Sheldon Keefe's contract with Toronto works? Apparently it has an out clause for a head coaching position but Toronto can shut down anyone wanting to talk to him about said position? Or did Ottawa not approach him about being their Head Coach?

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
If we're going to hire a coach without NHL head coaching experience I'd definitely prefer Keefe over Gronborg. The unknown is how would our players relate to and respect a head coach from Europe. North Americans are quite xenophobic. Our franchise really isn't in a place where we can afford to experiment.

If Laviolette gets fired he'd move to the top of the list. I don't like the guy's act but he is the type of coach this team needs.

Reactions: Gabrielor

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Wasn't sure how closely you've followed Dahlin. Apparently a lot. He he he.

True story - my son and I would watch Frölunda on Saturday mornings (with the time difference, it makes for a casual way to start the day) to watch Olofsson. We would marvel at Dahlin but we both thought there was no chance he'd ever land in Buffalo.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So can someone clue me in as to how exactly Sheldon Keefe's contract with Toronto works? Apparently it has an out clause for a head coaching position but Toronto can shut down anyone wanting to talk to him about said position? Or did Ottawa not approach him about being their Head Coach?

I haven't seen a firm print link that his current extension that he just signed has any sort of MLSE blocking.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Laviolette lasted 5 seasons in Carolina and Philly, this was his 5th in Nashville. Poile is Mr. Patience, doubt he replaces Laviolette. Ryan Ellis is taking the most heat from fans.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
True story - my son and I would watch Frölunda on Saturday mornings (with the time difference, it makes for a casual way to start the day) to watch Olofsson. We would marvel at Dahlin but we both thought there was no chance he'd ever land in Buffalo.
That's pretty hard core. :thumbu:

Don't stop now! We are winning! ;)

Was it "sloppy stream" or ppv? Think I've seen english streams of SHL on Skysports, or something like that.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That's pretty hard core. :thumbu:

Don't stop now! We are winning! ;)

Was it "sloppy stream" or ppv? Think I've seen english streams of SHL on Skysports, or something like that.

Usually it was as you put it a sloppy stream. Not in English, just in Swedish. When I’m finished with my degree and have a little bit of disposable income I intend on investing in the hockey TV subscription where I’ll be able to watch a better quality stream and some of it will be in English. I can follow a little bit by looking at the SHL website to see what the words are for things like goal or assist, but ultimately when you watch the game it’s kind of universal. I love the team songs and the amount that the crowd are into games even during the regular season. My son has gone one step beyond my hockey addiction, I’ll find him watching the lower tier world championships or strange feeds from different Junior League‘s that I have no rooting interest in. He likes finding the B group or C Group Team’s. I don’t know why, but probably to differentiate from the old man. :biglaugh;

We watched about half of game one of the finals series the other day. That of course we have interest in seeing how Davidsson is doing. I think two years ago he and I watched the KHL playoffs because they were during spring break. He thought it was funny that I thought Antiponwas a good player in those games and then the Sabres signed him. I have some pretty robust antivirus and anti-malware software suites on a particular laptop we use for all of this silliness.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slimmy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: