Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 5)

Where is Poehling playing most of this season?

• 4th line Center (ex: Weal-Poehling-Armia)

• Left wing (ex: Poehling-KK-Lehkonen or Poehling-Domi-Shaw)

• 2nd line Center (Domi-Poehling-Shaw)

• Laval

• 3rd line center (move Kotkaniemi to the wing)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I just think it's great we have good quality and quantity potential at the C position.

Domi is a 2C, Danault had 2C production shockingly ( he was 49th in C scoring ) , but yes, more comfortable with him as a real good 3C. So then we have Kotkaniemi, Poehling and Suzuki. Hopefully one of these guys is a 1C. We would be in a great position if we had a 1C and a couple of guys who could play 2C. Heck, with Kotkaniemi and Poehling we have a couple of guys with great size.
Domi had almost 20 points more than Danault while playing for most of the year with offensively inferior wingers and you consider Domi a #2. Until KK, Poehling or Suzuki approach Domi's numbers, Max is the #1 center on this team.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Not yet. How about we wait for a couple of months into the season before we make such a drastic evaluation

Had a great debut game and apparently looked good with the kids,but what's the panic to get him in the lineup?

It gets very confusing here. fire everyone,rebuild,but win now,tank for best pick etc. lol.

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
Domi is a 70 point center, our first in many years. If you no longer want that, just trade him for a great return. Why people would think of moving him back to wing where he has to engage in board battles instead of owning the middle of the ice is beyond me.

Poehling is another Danault, a late first round pick with some offence, though he didn't exactly light up the NCAA.

However, if you play Poehling in a power forward role, he will possibly excel, due to his willingness to fight for pucks, go to the net and get deflections. I think it's worth a try...

I totally agree.

Why (almost) everybody around here is rushing to move Domi to the wing to accommodate Poehling is beyond me. It's not as if it hasn't been forever since we last had an effective number one center. Nor did I notice Domi filling the net playing wing for the Coyotes. So what's the idea...take Domi away from center where he was flourishing and puck him back on wing where he was languishing. Then hand the number one job to a completely unproven rookie--never a point getter in his time in the NCAA--and ask him to . Brilliant.

Habs4Life

Aug 29, 2003
Saint John, NB
I totally agree.

Why (almost) everybody around here is rushing to move Domi to the wing to accommodate Poehling is beyond me. It's not as if it hasn't been forever since we last had an effective number one center. Nor did I notice Domi filling the net playing wing for the Coyotes. So what's the idea...take Domi away from center where he was flourishing and puck him back on wing where he was languishing. Then hand the number one job to a completely unproven rookie--never a point getter in his time in the NCAA--and ask him to . Brilliant.

Keep Domi at center a 70 point center who plays well defensively.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I totally agree.

To me it's pretty simple, IF Domi can be just as effective on the wing AND IF Poehling is ready, you make the 2nd line Drouin-Poehling-Domi. If not it's Drouin-Domi-Poehling.

Reactions: ForeverHabs97

Habs4Life

Aug 29, 2003
Saint John, NB
To me it's pretty simple, IF Domi can be just as effective on the wing AND IF Poehling is ready, you make the 2nd line Drouin-Poehling-Domi. If not it's Drouin-Domi-Poehling.

What I forgot to sharpen my skates Drouin? They tried it last year him and Domi and it never worked out in the end.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Well, IF Price can be as effective at LD as he is at G, and IF Cayden Primeau is ready to take over as a top-10 goalie in the league, then we should make the 2nd defence pair Price-Petry.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I had the same idea and it sounds like others have the same thoughts in terms of something we should try.

If no changes to our line-up... I'm trying this to start the year. Poehling can be listed on wing but he can also take the face-offs cause this is a area Domi is weak at. I think Poehling can easily replace Shaw and I would have Drouin on the right side.

Poehling / Domi / Drouin.
Tatar / Danault / Gallagher
Lehkonen / Kotkaniemi / Armia
Cousins / Weal / Byron

Thompson

Mete / Weber
Chariot / Petry
Kulak / Juulsen

Reilly, Folin

Price
Kinkaid

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I had the same idea and it sounds like others have the same thoughts in terms of something we should try.

If no changes to our line-up... I'm trying this to start the year. Poehling can be listed on wing but he can also take the face-offs cause this is a area Domi is weak at. I think Poehling can easily replace Shaw and I would have Drouin on the right side.

Poehling / Domi / Drouin.
Tatar / Danault / Gallagher
Lehkonen / Kotkaniemi / Armia
Cousins / Weal / Byron

Thompson

Mete / Weber
Chariot / Petry
Kulak / Juulsen

Reilly, Folin

Price
Kinkaid

Yeah, Julien's going to be Julien. It will be interesting to see how he sees it.

That line could use Poehling's big body. Drouin-Domi-Byron couldn't maintain puck possession.

But, I'd also like to see Drouin and Suzuki play together. They may be able to work some magic. Galchenyuk-Drouin-Gallagher were good together. Would be interested to see if Drouin-Domi-Suzuki could overcome puck possession issues.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Yeah, Julien's going to be Julien. It will be interesting to see how he sees it.

That line could use Poehling's big body. Drouin-Domi-Byron couldn't maintain puck possession.

But, I'd also like to see Drouin and Suzuki play together. They may be able to work some magic. Galchenyuk-Drouin-Gallagher were good together. Would be interested to see if Drouin-Domi-Suzuki could overcome puck possession issues.

I think Drouin is the last player that I want to see Suzuki with. They both play such a perimeter game that they need to be paired with players who are good on the boards and in the corners as well as players who drive the net.

Personally, I want Drouin traded for picks/prospects. Hopefully someone out there still sees enough upside to be willing to part with some decent assets.

Last edited:

ForeverHabs97

May 11, 2013
Canada
I totally agree.

Nah. Disagree. If Poehling shows he can fill as 3C and bump KK into top 6 (assuming both can handle it) then this is the scenario for me when both get better as nhl centermen

I understand Domi stepped up big last year. But what would we benefit from him at center vs him on the Wing on the first line 5v5 (forget about PP). He can still bring the same production with his style. Unless I'm not getting something here... I just want a 2-way C to cover and have Domi take the same style he did last year but on the wing. Domi is a great temporary solution, but would he be better on the wing that's my question

If KK comes in october better prepared, him and Danault can share 1st/2nd line defensive duties/offense. Domi will be on the 1st line anyways creating the same points lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

ForeverHabs97

May 11, 2013
Canada
Ok, Galchenyuk was never a center. His failure at C had nothing to do with his development...
Yeah it's just not in him or his playing style. He's an offensive dynamo/flashy styled player. That's it. Don't ask him to be a center or to take defensive responsibilities that come with being a C.

He's a perfect match for Malkin in Pittsburgh. He could be an elite player with Malkin this season imo, or he could just be avg 20-30G 50-60pts guy like we know him to be

Reactions: 26Mats

ForeverHabs97

May 11, 2013
Canada
100% true. Just because he scored 70 pts as a C last year doesnt mean shit. Putting him on the wing could make him even better and put up more/maintain next season. Wingers will be interchangeable, but I'd rather try Poehling at 3C if possible.

Domi - Danault/KK - Gallagher
X - Danault/KK - Drouin
Byron - Poehling - X
4th line

Wingers are pretty interchangeable depending on how the centers do and if they need help on offense or defense. Etc.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
100% true. Just because he scored 70 pts as a C last year doesnt mean ****. Putting him on the wing could make him even better and put up more/maintain next season. Wingers will be interchangeable, but I'd rather try Poehling at 3C if possible.

Domi - Danault/KK - Gallagher
X - Danault/KK - Drouin
Byron - Poehling - X
4th line

Wingers are pretty interchangeable depending on how the centers do and if they need help on offense or defense. Etc.
Domi excelled because he was freed from most board battles that wingers are stuck with, and was able to own the middle of the ice with his speed and vision.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Amazing how many people want to push this guy into the NHL, mostly based on his one NHL game, instead of taking time to let him develop. If he has an unbelievable preseason then sure let him start the years in Montreal but if not, Laval is where he should be.

I agree. Let Poehling and Suzuki earn spots out of camp if they're able. If not, some seasoning in the AHL is in order and will be beneficial for their development.

That said, if they dominate at camp, make room for them. Guys like Thompson, Weal and Cousins can sit if they get leapfrogged by those two.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Amazing how many people want to push this guy into the NHL, mostly based on his one NHL game, instead of taking time to let him develop. If he has an unbelievable preseason then sure let him start the years in Montreal but if not, Laval is where he should be.

I'm very biased to the slower path via the AHL but I can't help but think Poehling will make the Habs. I really don't see the harm in just having them start in the AHL and if they clearly dominate THEN you can bring them up.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
If poehling is as strong and NHL ready as I think he is, then he is going to slot anywhere in the lineup. I think the real question is, can he handle a full 82 game schedule yet with that drive and consistency. If the answer is even slightly a no then LAVAL it is for seasoning with other guys like suzuki, teasdale, brook, mccarron, hudon,.. Thats a very good top end ahl team.

Reactions: Toene and NewDef

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Send all the rookies to Laval, including Kotkaniemi. During the Hab games at the Bell Centre, they can show highlights of the Laval games on the scoreboard.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad