Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 5)

Where is Poehling playing most of this season?

• 4th line Center (ex: Weal-Poehling-Armia)

• Left wing (ex: Poehling-KK-Lehkonen or Poehling-Domi-Shaw)

• 2nd line Center (Domi-Poehling-Shaw)

• Laval

• 3rd line center (move Kotkaniemi to the wing)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

superstar436

Mar 4, 2004
Another option that should have been put: Maybe poehling becomes 3rd c and kotka goes to 4th

DonDanzig

Sep 14, 2013
I can't wait to see Poehling at the habs training camp. From what I've seen at the development camp and from last year, he can definetly play in the NHL as soon as next season. Not sure it's the best for his development, but I think he bring something to the lineup that will be very useful.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I can't wait to see Poehling at the habs training camp. From what I've seen at the development camp and from last year, he can definetly play in the NHL as soon as next season. Not sure it's the best for his development, but I think he bring something to the lineup that will be very useful.

We could use his big body, and hopefully he has some offense at the NHL level.

Last edited:
Reactions: ForeverHabs97

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Poehling will play in a summer hockey league.

he played in that league last year with Lindgren and his brothers. It's mostly Minnesota born players.

I think he could have played in the NHL this year so I do think he is ready and I would bet the farm he at least plays in games for the Habs but we'll have to see if the Habs want to have him on the team right away or not. I wouldn't be against having him in the AHL to work on his offensive game but i've said before I think it's something like Juulsen where he plays such a sound game that the coaching staff loves him and knows they need him in the lineup despite that fact that a year in the AHL working on his offense wouldn't hurt him. CJ wants to win of course so he's going to want players that he can trust and that can help them win games. Poehling plays such a NHL style game that CJ will have a hard time sending him down.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Poehling makes Duchene unnecessary, not to mention that he's a small cap hit. He's definitely better defensively than Duchene. I don't know whether Suzuki iwould be better than Poehling, who is a good two-way player, sort of a junior Bergeron.

Reactions: Habs Icing

ForeverHabs97

May 11, 2013
Canada
Poehling 3rd C

Danault KK split 1st/2nd lines. Domi to the wing. Very likely scenario imo. A lot of top 9/6 talent none worthy of true 1st line talent yet other than Domi

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Poehling 3rd C

Danault KK split 1st/2nd lines. Domi to the wing. Very likely scenario imo. A lot of top 9/6 talent none worthy of true 1st line talent yet other than Domi

we'll have to see if Kotka is ready for that if you mean next season, same for Poehling although I think he could do it but the question would be the offense imo.

But we'll see how things play out, for one I think Danault would be a great winger for Poehling to learn from and for the times he gets tossed from the face-off circle you have Danault to step in.

ForeverHabs97

May 11, 2013
Canada
we'll have to see if Kotka is ready for that if you mean next season, same for Poehling although I think he could do it but the question would be the offense imo.

But we'll see how things play out, for one I think Danault would be a great winger for Poehling to learn from and for the times he gets tossed from the face-off circle you have Danault to step in.
Yeah it entirely depends on KK not having a sophomore slump and taking the next step in his progression to peak. He already has the skills and very effective IQ/stickwork on Defence as we all know. He can't be worse than Danault at offensive production, so atleast there's that. Training camp/pre season will sort it out.

I think it's very realistic.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Yeah it entirely depends on KK not having a sophomore slump and taking the next step in his progression to peak. He already has the skills and very effective IQ/stickwork on Defence as we all know. He can't be worse than Danault at offensive production, so atleast there's that. Training camp/pre season will sort it out.

I think it's very realistic.

I wouldn't say we know for sure he can't be worse then Danault, I would think he would be around the same but we don't know how he'll even be at camp, how much he'll physically mature in the 0ff-season. If he's a good bit stronger, adds mass and strength to his lower body then that should bode well for him as the skills are there for sure to be around that 50ish pt production that Danault had. But he may not be ready for that role just yet, hard to say since he was so sheltered (although I missed a bunch of games in the 2nd half so I believe that changed some)

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I think it's more likely that Poehling plays the wing than Danault. I like the idea of him eventually becoming a C though...

Reactions: Habs Icing

ForeverHabs97

May 11, 2013
Canada
I wouldn't say we know for sure he can't be worse then Danault, I would think he would be around the same but we don't know how he'll even be at camp, how much he'll physically mature in the 0ff-season. If he's a good bit stronger, adds mass and strength to his lower body then that should bode well for him as the skills are there for sure to be around that 50ish pt production that Danault had. But he may not be ready for that role just yet, hard to say since he was so sheltered (although I missed a bunch of games in the 2nd half so I believe that changed some)
I think a new season/break in offseason will do him good. He was exceeding expectations in the first half and then cooled down over the 82 games. I also stopped around xmas.

Danault talked about his offense and wanting to take the next step to be like a 2 way player/Bergeron in his interview this summer (classic cliche). He said he wants to improve and help the team offensively, take PP if he can. I'll be looking out for that.

Either way having both of them as C would be good. Have Danault take 60% as a 1st line and KK 40% with different responsibilities based on what they bring. Poehling will be a reliable 3rd C until we get to see him over a longer period of time in the NHL.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think a new season/break in offseason will do him good. He was exceeding expectations in the first half and then cooled down over the 82 games. I also stopped around xmas.

Danault talked about his offense and wanting to take the next step to be like a 2 way player/Bergeron in his interview this summer (classic cliche). He said he wants to improve and help the team offensively, take PP if he can. I'll be looking out for that.

Either way having both of them as C would be good. Have Danault take 60% as a 1st line and KK 40% with different responsibilities based on what they bring. Poehling will be a reliable 3rd C until we get to see him over a longer period of time in the NHL.

I hope Danault does build off this past season, would love to see him score more then 12 goals. Bergeron was always so good though, so hard for Danault to reach that level. He was a 70+ pt player at 20. But he's also had a bit of an odd career, while he's always been one of the best defensive forwards and always puts up good numbers, he has a career year at 33 and his 2nd best season was at 20.

ForeverHabs97

May 11, 2013
Canada
I hope Danault does build off this past season, would love to see him score more then 12 goals. Bergeron was always so good though, so hard for Danault to reach that level. He was a 70+ pt player at 20. But he's also had a bit of an odd career, while he's always been one of the best defensive forwards and always puts up good numbers, he has a career year at 33 and his 2nd best season was at 20.
I think it's still possible for Danault to get there. He is 26, true, but what if Danault never got that opportunity/seized his opportunity to perform to a higher level. He's got the skills for a very reliable 3rd C. The offensive success is what's held him back from going higher. With the right wingers/attitude it's plausible.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I think it's more likely that Poehling plays the wing than Danault. I like the idea of him eventually becoming a C though...

He looks like a C that can play LW also. May be a first call up if not already a 13th. Split time with Thompson? Not much room at C or LW, a hole on RW and can move any of the current LW's to RW.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I just think it's great we have good quality and quantity potential at the C position.

Domi is a 2C, Danault had 2C production shockingly ( he was 49th in C scoring ) , but yes, more comfortable with him as a real good 3C. So then we have Kotkaniemi, Poehling and Suzuki. Hopefully one of these guys is a 1C. We would be in a great position if we had a 1C and a couple of guys who could play 2C. Heck, with Kotkaniemi and Poehling we have a couple of guys with great size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad