Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 5)

Where is Poehling playing most of this season?

• 4th line Center (ex: Weal-Poehling-Armia)

• Left wing (ex: Poehling-KK-Lehkonen or Poehling-Domi-Shaw)

• 2nd line Center (Domi-Poehling-Shaw)

• Laval

• 3rd line center (move Kotkaniemi to the wing)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Yes he was, and I’m looking forward to slotting him into a roster in the 3C with real top 6 centers on the team, then we will be very deep. But that will take some time. I would be ok with doing something like this for this season, just because I really wanna fit Poehling into the roster at center.

Tatar-Danault-Gally
Domi-Kotka-Shawzy
Drouin-Poehling-Lehky
Byron-Thompson-Armia

Hey, this is looking pretty good. Domi should be moved to the wing, center problem solved for now. At least like this, the 3 real centers are competing for more minutes. Nature will eventually take its course and Phil will slot down to the 3rd spot. Our center depth will be a thing of beauty.
Move Domi to LW so Thompson can be a regular instead of Lehkonen??? Three bad moves in one!

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
Move Domi to LW so Thompson can be a regular instead of Lehkonen??? Three bad moves in one!
Lehkonen is in my lineup on Poehling’s RW.

Thompson is our fourth line center.

Domi is a LW who has just shown that he can excel offensively in a top 6 centerman role. But defensively, he’s not a centerman. He will produce as much or more at LW.

There’s no flaws in that lineup, the problems are fixed. This is as balanced as we can be next season unless we add Duchene or someone else.

Reactions: ItzaGreat

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Lehkonen is in my lineup on Poehling’s RW.

Thompson is our fourth line center.

Domi is a LW who has just shown that he can excel offensively in a top 6 centerman role. But defensively, he’s not a centerman. He will produce as much or more at LW.

There’s no flaws in that lineup, the problems are fixed. This is as balanced as we can be next season unless we add Duchene or someone else.

Domi is no worse defensively than Malkin or Seguin or many other top centres. Despite having the worst defensive F on the team on his line more than the other centres did, he had a +20 season.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
Domi is no worse defensively than Malkin or Seguin or many other top centres. Despite having the worst defensive F on the team on his line more than the other centres did, he had a +20 season.
He doesn’t have the level of offense those 2 players have. And they are both better defensively. Bad comparisons.

Last edited by a moderator:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Poehling may not even make the club.

Be honest, how many people had him penciled into this year's lineup before his season debut a few months ago?

We can't assume that he will have a spot locked up based on one game.

If he has a mediocre or poor camp, the habs are not in a spot where they have to force feed him into the lineup either.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019

Be honest, how many people had him penciled into this year's lineup before his season debut a few months ago?

If he has a mediocre or poor camp, the habs are not in a spot where they have to force feed him into the lineup either.
We hadn’t seen him in the NHL yet, but I immediately had him making the team after that one game. He’s been playing an NHL style game for awhile now, and it looks like it’s going to be a seamless transition. He’s Realer than Real Deal Holyfield.

Reactions: CanukInAugusta

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

Poehling is now up to 210 pounds, almost 40 pounds more than where he was at 17. His skating has not been hampered whatsoever by his increased weight. If he shows up to camp hellbent on making this team I won’t bet against him.

Reactions: Guns n Roses

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
They better not favor Weal or Thompson ahead of Poehling. Enough with these journeymen. I'd much rather develop our kids and live with their mistakes. It's not like Weal, Peca and Thompson don't make amy themselves

The argument is he may develop better in Laval playing 20 minutes a night than on the 4th line.

I'd be very surprised if anyone after training camp will think Weal and Thompson are better now than Poehling.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Domi is a 70 point center, our first in many years. If you no longer want that, just trade him for a great return. Why people would think of moving him back to wing where he has to engage in board battles instead of owning the middle of the ice is beyond me.

Poehling is another Danault, a late first round pick with some offence, though he didn't exactly light up the NCAA.

However, if you play Poehling in a power forward role, he will possibly excel, due to his willingness to fight for pucks, go to the net and get deflections. I think it's worth a try.

On the other hand, if you prefer Poehling as a C, you don't have to trade or muzzle Domi, you can also trade Danault. It might be preferable if Phil is going to cost $5M on his next contract, and Poehling can fill his shoes.

Even if you think Poehling could be a number two C, I'll say what others have said about Danault: it's even better to have a 2nd-line capable C as your third center if you want to compete for a Cup.

In two years:

Drouin-Domi-Shaw
Poehling-Kotkaniemi-Caufield
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Lehkonen/Byron-Suzuki-Armia

Trade Byron or Lehkonen in the meantime for defensive help
Poehling is a disciplined team first player. He will play the role assigned to him with result. I’d rather have him be developed as the Poehling of the U20s than 2nd fiddle to the mighty Danault.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I can’t understand why any Habs fan would not want to see him on the team now.

Some may not like the idea of him playing 4th line or on the wing, instead of `18 minutes a night in all situations in Laval. It's not clear which is best for his development long term. These are the 3 most likely scenarios. Of course he may emerge as ready to bump Domi to the wing or steal KK's spot. But assuming the first 3 scenarios are what you choose from, they each have their merits.

Last edited:

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
You are really making that comparison, those two guys are top offensive guys, you can live with a little defensive short fall, although I think Malkin is far better defensively that Domi.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
Some may not like the idea of him playing 4th line or on the wing, instead of `18 minutes a night in all situations. It's not clear which is best for his development long term. These are the 3 most likely scenarios. Of course he may emerge as ready to bump Domi to the wing or steal KK's spot. But assuming the first 3 scenarios are what you choose from, they each have their merits.

I prefer to see him centering line two. Domi can play wing. I believe KK should be on line 3.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I prefer to see him centering line two. Do I can play wing. I believe KK should be on line 3.

My original post that you replied to should have said 18 minutes in Laval. I corrected it. That's the debate for some: 18 minutes in Laval versus 4th line center or wing in Montreal. CJ may not be ready to move Domi to the wing.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
My original post that you replied to should have said 18 minutes in Laval. I corrected it. That's the debate for some: 18 minutes in Laval versus 4th line center or wing in Montreal. CJ may not be ready to move Domi to the wing.

Even if he plays 4th line, which I don’t think he will, that would be a pretty darn good line and should get 12 min a game.
Weal, RP, Armia

Reactions: larrypacman8167

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
You are really making that comparison, those two guys are top offensive guys, you can live with a little defensive short fall, although I think Malkin is far better defensively that Domi.
Domi on ice for 79 ES GF and 58 ES GA, of which 7 were ENG.

Malkin on ice for only 51 ES GF!!! And 77 ES GA in 68 games !!!!!

Seguin on ice for 74 ES GF and 57 ES GA with better wingers than Domi had.

You under-appreciate Domi.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Even if he plays 4th line, which I don’t think he will, that would be a pretty darn good line and should get 12 min a game.
Weal, RP, Armia

It's a pretty good line. But no guarantee they get 12 minutes every night.

At any rate, let's continue this discussion towards the end of the preseason/training camp. We'll have more information on where Poehling's game is at vis a vis the rest of the forwards on the roster.

Reactions: TennisMenace

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
If we dont get aho, we're gonna need poehling and suzuki to make the team and contribute.

With top 9 minutes, I think poehling and suzuki could score around 40 pts next season

Reactions: sharks9 and Gains

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Danault is clearly holding down a top 2 line center position until other players are ready. Likely these are Poehling and KK in either order.

Danault has played terrific hockey centering top 2 lines, but on a good team, he’s no more than a 3C. It would be crazy to keep him centering one of the top 2 lines when those 2 are ready. I don’t see any good argument against this. He is a very good and very typical 3C. Poehling and KK are clearly better talents with the skill to center the top 2 lines when they mature enough.

Domi, unlike Danault, is a clear top 6 player. But he’s a top 6 winger ultimately. He will be terrific eventually beside either Poehling or KK.

The only question here is when not if.

They now added another terrific winger to the mix. Likely Domi and the new kid Caufield will be the top line wingers eventually.

Gally, Tatar and Drouin will eventually be 2nd line wingers, maybe 3rd or not on the team.

I could see Tatar being a good 3rd line winger next to Danault when the time comes.

Last edited:

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Poehling is an excellent player offensively and defensively and he's affordable. Replace Mete and the Habs can contend. Dump Hudon and promote a prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad