Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 5)

Where is Poehling playing most of this season?

• 4th line Center (ex: Weal-Poehling-Armia)

• Left wing (ex: Poehling-KK-Lehkonen or Poehling-Domi-Shaw)

• 2nd line Center (Domi-Poehling-Shaw)

• Laval

• 3rd line center (move Kotkaniemi to the wing)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Who are the 2 guys on the right on the picture? Ylonen and Ikonen? If that's the case Ikonen looks like I can who plays too much fortnite lol

He looks tiny on that pic but Ylonen is 6'1 185ish. He is beside Fleury who is 200+. Maybe the result of being beside Fleury and the camera angle.

+1 for the Iron Maiden tee.

Reactions: jfhabs and cphabs

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If he's not a top 3 C on the team, then put him in Laval under Bouchard until his play down there forces him up.. if that's the case, then you kick Domi to the wing or trade Danault.

Reactions: HOPE

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I watched highlights from his first game (only seen the goals) and man besides the hat trick he was really impressive. Strong, heady plays with the puck, great passing, moves very well.

I hate to say it but I think he'll be better than Suzuki. In a way I hope I'm wrong and RP becomes a dynamite 2nd liner yet Suzuki's STILL the better player but I just think that Poehling has real upside. Maybe not quite as much as some of his most enthusiastic supporters say (really really doubt there's a Getzlaf there) but man he could be a huge boost to this team regardless.

MistaWa16

Sep 6, 2007
Montreal
They better not favor Weal or Thompson ahead of Poehling. Enough with these journeymen. I'd much rather develop our kids and live with their mistakes. It's not like Weal, Peca and Thompson don't make amy themselves

Reactions: zx81 and cphabs

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Either Domi or Poehling will play on the wing. They'll probably start with Poehling on the wing, once injuries happen he'll move to C.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
They better not favor Weal or Thompson ahead of Poehling. Enough with these journeymen. I'd much rather develop our kids and live with their mistakes. It's not like Weal, Peca and Thompson don't make amy themselves

I don't have a problem if Thompson is playing 4C and Poehling is playing 1C in the AHL. The problem would be if Poehling is sitting in the pressbox while those guys play ahead of him.

That said I think RP will take a spot on the big team. They let Kotka play his was on to the team last year and I think RP will do the same this year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
His stats were good though

they weren't, they were disappointing as being 73rd in the NCAA for a 1st round pick is not very impressive. Then add that in the exact number of games he had the exact number of points as last year which is not what you want to see from a top prospect in back to back years. Then add that being on the best team and the 2nd highest scoring it makes it look worse.

That said he is such a lock to be an NHLer and likely a very good one but we'll just have to see how much his offensive game can progress or not.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
I've never seen a kid in a Habs uniform dominate his peers like Poehling has done over the last 12 months.

This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I feel like Poehling is going to have a better career than Kotkaniemi.

Poehling has everything going for him. He can be shifty with the puck, and be a force in front of the net. He had no business being on the ice with the other prospects this week.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
I've never seen a kid in a Habs uniform dominate his peers like Poehling has done over the last 12 months.

This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I feel like Poehling is going to have a better career than Kotkaniemi.

Poehling has everything going for him. He can be shifty with the puck, and be a force in front of the net. He had no business being on the ice with the other prospects this week.
Either way, we have our future 1-2 punch with Poehling and Kotka! We’re set!

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Either way, we have our future 1-2 punch with Poehling and Kotka! We’re set!
I like Poehling as the LW for Kotkaniemi. He is a good playmaker but not as good as KK or Domi. But he's fast, big and strong, has a nose for the net and will win battles in the corner.

If he makes the top-6 it is as a LW who can also take a draw here and there or cover down low if he is back first.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Looking forward to seeing what he can do this year. We gave the eagle a fair chance at making the roster last year, after Ryan's unforgettable debut, it's only fair he gets the same shot.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
I like Poehling as the LW for Kotkaniemi. He is a good playmaker but not as good as KK or Domi. But he's fast, big and strong, has a nose for the net and will win battles in the corner.

If he makes the top-6 it is as a LW who can also take a draw here and there or cover down low if he is back first.
So you wanna convert a 6’ 2” prototypical complete centerman into a winger because you don’t wanna hurt Danault’s feelings and play him where he belongs? And Domi is not a real center he’s a LW btw.

Reactions: cphabs

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Both Kotka and Poehling are 100% centers to me. I'd move Domi to the wing before ever thinking about anything else. Same goes for the prospects really, I'd move Suzuki and Evans to the wing to keep them at center in a minute. You don't mess with natural 2 way centers.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Looking forward to seeing what he can do this year. We gave the eagle a fair chance at making the roster last year, after Ryan's unforgettable debut, it's only fair he gets the same shot.
He will. He's the type of player Bergevin and Julien will fall in love with.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Both Kotka and Poehling are 100% centers to me. I'd move Domi to the wing before ever thinking about anything else. Same goes for the prospects really, I'd move Suzuki and Evans to the wing to keep them at center in a minute. You don't mess with natural 2 way centers.

Domi is a 70 point center, our first in many years. If you no longer want that, just trade him for a great return. Why people would think of moving him back to wing where he has to engage in board battles instead of owning the middle of the ice is beyond me.

Poehling is another Danault, a late first round pick with some offence, though he didn't exactly light up the NCAA.

However, if you play Poehling in a power forward role, he will possibly excel, due to his willingness to fight for pucks, go to the net and get deflections. I think it's worth a try.

On the other hand, if you prefer Poehling as a C, you don't have to trade or muzzle Domi, you can also trade Danault. It might be preferable if Phil is going to cost $5M on his next contract, and Poehling can fill his shoes.

Even if you think Poehling could be a number two C, I'll say what others have said about Danault: it's even better to have a 2nd-line capable C as your third center if you want to compete for a Cup.

In two years:

Drouin-Domi-Shaw
Poehling-Kotkaniemi-Caufield
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Lehkonen/Byron-Suzuki-Armia

Trade Byron or Lehkonen in the meantime for defensive help

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Domi is a 70 point center, our first in many years. If you no longer want that, just trade him for a great return. Why people would think of moving him back to wing where he has to engage in board battles instead of owning the middle of the ice is beyond me.

Poehling is another Danault, a late first round pick with some offence, though he didn't exactly light up the NCAA.
Worth noting on Poehling though, he's an inch taller and forty pounds heavier than when we drafted him. I doubt he'd have been drafted that low if teams knew how big he'd be right now.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016

No way. A lot of RP's game would be wasted on the wing.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Either Domi or Poehling will play on the wing. They'll probably start with Poehling on the wing, once injuries happen he'll move to C.

Unless Domi is having a really bad season, I'm not entertaining the thought of moving him to the wing. For whatever reason, the environment really worked for him last year, and there's nothing to fix in that regard.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
So you wanna convert a 6’ 2” prototypical complete centerman into a winger because you don’t wanna hurt Danault’s feelings and play him where he belongs? And Domi is not a real center he’s a LW btw.

Danault was an excellent centerman last year for the team.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
Danault was an excellent centerman last year for the team.
Yes he was, and I’m looking forward to slotting him into a roster in the 3C with real top 6 centers on the team, then we will be very deep. But that will take some time. I would be ok with doing something like this for this season, just because I really wanna fit Poehling into the roster at center.

Tatar-Danault-Gally
Domi-Kotka-Shawzy
Drouin-Poehling-Lehky
Byron-Thompson-Armia

Hey, this is looking pretty good. Domi should be moved to the wing, center problem solved for now. At least like this, the 3 real centers are competing for more minutes. Nature will eventually take its course and Phil will slot down to the 3rd spot. Our center depth will be a thing of beauty.

Reactions: cphabs

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Yes he was, and I’m looking forward to slotting him into a roster in the 3C with real top 6 centers on the team, then we will be very deep. But that will take some time. I would be ok with doing something like this for this season, just because I really wanna fit Poehling into the roster at center.

Tatar-Danault-Gally
Domi-Kotka-Shawzy
Drouin-Poehling-Lehky
Byron-Thompson-Armia

Hey, this is looking pretty good. Domi should be moved to the wing, center problem solved for now. At least like this, the 3 real centers are competing for more minutes. Nature will eventually take its course and Phil will slot down to the 3rd spot. Will be a thing of beauty.

I don't think they'll shy away from putting Danault on third line duties. But I don't see the habs having three strictly hierarchical lines, it's more of a top 9 than top 6.

Reactions: Guns n Roses
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad