Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 5)

Where is Poehling playing most of this season?

• 4th line Center (ex: Weal-Poehling-Armia)

• Left wing (ex: Poehling-KK-Lehkonen or Poehling-Domi-Shaw)

• 2nd line Center (Domi-Poehling-Shaw)

• Laval

• 3rd line center (move Kotkaniemi to the wing)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Well have you ever seen Danault play a game like that in the NHL?

Did Danault ever dominate the WJC and win the MVP?
What matter for me is that RP translates all that into the NHL. Neither fewer. Neither further. It's just the beginning. And god knows how much I like him. I'm not gonna compare him to nobody. He's having his own style like everyone else.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Poehling dominated the WJC, he dominated his league, he stepped in the NHL and dominated more than we have ever seen Danault dominate. He’s a man teen and way more advanced than Kotka right now. Poehling and Kotka will be our 1st and 2nd line center dynamite duo. Bookmark it. Despite our Achilles heal/teacher’s pet Danault.
Poehling didn't dominate the WJC, he dominated one period of one game of the WJC. His 5 goals in 7 games looks great, but outside of that 4 goal 3rd period against Sweden (a game they still lost) he had 1 goal in 6 games. That's not dominating the tournament.

His debut was very promising, but nothing about his development suggests he's going to be a big scorer in the NHL. If he becomes a good 2 way 3rd line center, that would be great. If he becomes a consistent 50-60 point center that would obviously be awesome but it shouldn't be expected.

Habs4Life

Aug 29, 2003
Saint John, NB
Poehling didn't dominate the WJC, he dominated one period of one game of the WJC. His 5 goals in 7 games looks great, but outside of that 4 goal 3rd period against Sweden (a game they still lost) he had 1 goal in 6 games. That's not dominating the tournament.

His debut was very promising, but nothing about his development suggests he's going to be a big scorer in the NHL. If he becomes a good 2 way 3rd line center, that would be great. If he becomes a consistent 50-60 point center that would obviously be awesome but it shouldn't be expected.

If being MVP of the World Junior's is not dominating the tournament, then nothing is.

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal
I don’t think he would have a problem being a fist line center on this team after Danault has been one. I don’t see that as shocking at all. Domi should be on the left wing. Poehling is ahead of KK right now, who is ahead of Danault offensively. Poehling is already our best true offensive centerman. He goes to the net hard with speed and skill, a recipe for success. I wouldn’t be scared at all to put him in that position. If he shows me he can’t handle it then I move him down the lineup.

Holy Molly hyper pucking hyping. Poehling went out saying to the fans to not expect him to have games like this every night for fans like you. It's ONE game where he didn't dominate at all. He played a very good games and has been able to convert his scoring chances, that's about it. He was a very good player in university but was not dominating and had some dominating moment in the last WJC where he put up great numbers.

Lets see what the kid can do first and remember that he has a pro game style, which can be confusing to some people projection wise.

I think that a very good 3C to good 2C is a good projection for him and if he can become as good as what you think he already is then... the Habs will have a great future.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

I mostly agree with what you are saying. Just checking though - you weren't the fellow who said that Poehling would top out as Jay Beagle, were you?

EDIT: It was #Roadhouse

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I don’t think he would have a problem being a fist line center on this team after Danault has been one. I don’t see that as shocking at all. Domi should be on the left wing. Poehling is ahead of KK right now, who is ahead of Danault offensively. Poehling is already our best true offensive centerman. He goes to the net hard with speed and skill, a recipe for success. I wouldn’t be scared at all to put him in that position. If he shows me he can’t handle it then I move him down the lineup.

This is utterly ridiculous

You need to put aside your infatuation with young players and think critically

Reactions: Guns n Roses

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
You need to realize that Danault is a 3rd line center and that Domi is a Left Winger.

Domi just had a career year as a center. He may be better on the wing. But let's see it first before we pronounce it as gospel.

Danault just centered one of the best #1 lines in the league 5 on 5 - with only one of the two wingers really being a 1st line winger. Put whatever number/rank you want on him, he's not the reason we missed the playoffs or are not elite. Kotkaniemi was one of the main reasons we were in the playoffs 2/3 of the way through the year. But, being a young player, he faded. Let's also not take it as gospel that he'll be ready to be a top 6 C for 82 games next year. Let's let him earn his spot and go from there.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If being MVP of the World Junior's is not dominating the tournament, then nothing is.

People are going to say not to over hype the small tournament when these same people would be very upset if they didn't produce well in the same tournament. This is mental gymnastics math... I don't own this skill and for this reason, I will never understand it. :laugh:

Reactions: dralaf

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You need to realize that Danault is a 3rd line center and that Domi is a Left Winger.

In terms of building a legit cup contender, I agree. For now, they are fine where they are cause we are not cup contenders and our young kids need to be hungry enough to earn the spot we think they can get in the future.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
In terms of building a legit cup contender, I agree. For now, they are fine where they are cause we are not cup contenders and our young kids need to be hungry enough to earn the spot we think they can get in the future.
The problem is that no one will ever be able to get Danault out of Juliens top 6. He’s the teacher’s pet. Rookie McDavid and rookie Crosby couldn’t crack our top 6.. because of CJ’s and Danault’s feelings. Pathetic.

Reactions: cphabs

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012

Seriously?

Reactions: Dominator13

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
The problem is that no one will ever be able to get Danault out of Juliens top 6. He’s the teacher’s pet. Rookie McDavid and rookie Crosby couldn’t crack our top 6.. because of CJ’s and Danault’s feelings. Pathetic.

Why should he ever get out of the top 6? He's where he should be. He barely gets any PP time. He's playing a lot at 5 vs 5 where he's needed. 53 points with 55% defensive starts and little P time puts him as an elite 2 way forward.

People complaining about danault is what's pathetic, not CJ use of him.

frapp10

Feb 21, 2015

He actually scored 3 in that game against Sweden

Reactions: Acadien86

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
He actually scored 3 in that game against Sweden
My bad, it was 4 points, 3 goals. An absolutely dominant 3rd period by Poehling, however that was virtually all of his production for the tournament. To say he dominated the whole event when his scoring was so heavily limited to a single period is disingenuous.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The thing with Poehling is that his past performances do not indicate that he will blossom into a top 6 player but with that said-
1. He skates very well and is very skilled
2. He will get stronger and faster so who the heck knows what his true upside is???

I highly doubt he does not make the team come opening night 2019

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
People on this board continue to underrate Poehling. I have more faith in him being a #2 center than I do Kotkaniemi being a #1.

I think you are likely looking at a 1A, 1B situation with KK and Poehling down the line. In that case, you might as well build a team with Domi as your #1C and KK and Poehling as a 2A, 2B Centre situation. Get the wingers to align three scoring lines and keep veterans like Byron and Shaw as wingers on a 4th line, along with Danault, to have legitimate complementary scoring and not be overly exposed defensively. That way, you might not be elite at any position up front, but the team will be extremely difficult to face on any given night.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think you are likely looking at a 1A, 1B situation with KK and Poehling down the line. In that case, you might as well build a team with Domi as your #1C and KK and Poehling as a 2A, 2B Centre situation. Get the wingers to align three scoring lines and keep veterans like Byron and Shaw as wingers on a 4th line, along with Danault, to have legitimate complementary scoring and not be overly exposed defensively. That way, you might not be elite at any position up front, but the team will be extremely difficult to face on any given night.
Ya this is how I see it- rolling 4 2nd line type lines.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
i don’t get this logic, if KK and Poehling end up being 1A and 1B, you definitely put back Domi to the wing with whoever he fits better! You have danault who will perfectly exel in that role and we have alot of depth to create a couple of other lines who are hard to play against and still be able to chip in offensively.

Reactions: Acadien86

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
“I'm very excited. I mean it's just I guess where I want to be... Just having a great offseason. Kinda build on what I've started here is something I want to do... It give me more excitements. Actually wanna compete and kinda get back to the level that you're constantly playing in that type of pace. From me, to do that, gonna be to have good summer and looking forward to put into work.”

“I woke up and feeling like it was a dream... But I think it's alright right now. I mean what's happened in this few days is still 180°. So far for myself I wanna take that and it's pretty special. They did, I didn't know they were coming until I got off the ice and I call them: they were like we're almost here, I was Omg... It's pretty cool to have them in the game.”

“It was over 400 messages... My family was there so I just pushed my phone for the night and tryna enjoy the night... We had a good night. Then I woke up and my phone frozed a little bit. It's crazy how many notifications I got...”

“Yeah, for sure I think for myself I always worried about the process and do the right thing. So it's nice to kinda to do the right thing and it's also pay off... You're always work for what you get for and that's knida a good example how I guess it worked for myself. I'm not gonna do that every night (hat-trick). I'm on for challenges and I like to pressure myself and like that people cares. You just gonna be honored by it and accepting the challenge. There's always things that come at you, it kinda how you handle it it's what life is all about. For me just fo that and be professional.”

“A lot, especially D'lo I meet him, he didn't play for a few games so we have all those practices. Having fun. Joking around and playing fun hockey. So for him, just to be on the line and kinda shared this moment was pretty special. Weise did tell me before the game that: hey shoot you gonna hit that one... It's pretty cool to get that third and have that shot and joking after the game.”

“It's one of the game, where I was just sitting when it was the turn of our 4th shooter. I got a tap off my shoulders, I was oh boy... I felt it was destiny to do that.”

“When I came here, I didn't have a underground parking pass so I ended up come out for 5-10 minutes. It's cool tho to see all those fans, they support you. That's what I look for supporters. There are people that let you the game in love for salary. For that giving them back is very special.”

“The biggest is off-ice. In college, you see the same thing on ice. You've to carry yourself as a professional off-ice when you get to this level... For me, to do that and learn from these guys for the last 1/2 week it's gonna help me a lot. More so off and on ice.”

“Just kinda I guess grow up in the sense and handle those emotions a little better. I've in the past, at least in the bad situations I think that's something I had to look and just be careful.”

“I don't know right now... It's a great honnor to play for team USA. To get that chance it's pretty special. We'll see what happens...”

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
People on this board continue to underrate Poehling. I have more faith in him being a #2 center than I do Kotkaniemi being a #1.

I don't look at it that way, if Poehling ends up a #2 or Kotka a #1, but how good are they, how productive. So they could be 1-2 down the road for us, but if they aren't very productive and the team sucks well it's not very impressive and means we are likely in big, big trouble.

I've looked at it as can Poehling be a #2 on a contending team down the road, to which I don't know as clearly NCAA kids can be difficult to gauge. Kristo 2nd in the NCAA in scoring and never makes it above the AHL, Poehling was tied for 70th in scoring this year and has a hattrick in a meaningless game.

To me Poehling has been a guy that is clearly a lock to be an NHLer, but how good is the big question as I have had zero doubt he will be there at some point and play a solid game that the coaching staff will love to have him.

I admit though I was very disappointed in his production, I didn't see as many games as last year, but had hoped for much better numbers and a much better showing by the team in general.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I don't look at it that way, if Poehling ends up a #2 or Kotka a #1, but how good are they, how productive. So they could be 1-2 down the road for us, but if they aren't very productive and the team sucks well it's not very impressive and means we are likely in big, big trouble.

I've looked at it as can Poehling be a #2 on a contending team down the road, to which I don't know as clearly NCAA kids can be difficult to gauge. Kristo 2nd in the NCAA in scoring and never makes it above the AHL, Poehling was tied for 70th in scoring this year and has a hattrick in a meaningless game.

To me Poehling has been a guy that is clearly a lock to be an NHLer, but how good is the big question as I have had zero doubt he will be there at some point and play a solid game that the coaching staff will love to have him.

I admit though I was very disappointed in his production, I didn't see as many games as last year, but had hoped for much better numbers and a much better showing by the team in general.
I think he's going to be really good, I see a kid who has the complete package of size, skating, skills, compete, and IQ. His NCAA numbers just need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad