Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 5)

Where is Poehling playing most of this season?

• 4th line Center (ex: Weal-Poehling-Armia)

• Left wing (ex: Poehling-KK-Lehkonen or Poehling-Domi-Shaw)

• 2nd line Center (Domi-Poehling-Shaw)

• Laval

• 3rd line center (move Kotkaniemi to the wing)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Didn’t say you did, but I’ve seen arguments for every center prospect we have, even Coconut, to play as a winger. Poehling as a winger is insane BTW

Poehling might start out on wing if they want him to play NHL. This don't mean I have no confidence he turns into a top 2C or 3C. I have been one of his biggest supporters and got attacked for being "to positive" on him in the early days when people were questioning why we picked him over Tolvanen.

Nothing I said says I think Poehling is a full time winger. But hey, if our team has a complete roster and we need him to play LW. It's all good. Blues have Thomas on wing and it does not mean they gave up on the idea he can be a center in the future when he matures more.

Danault started out on wing with the Habs to start the 16/17 season. He had to earn his spot and he did. He has certainly matured into a well rounded center and a good asset for the Habs.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Poehling might start out on wing if they want him to play NHL. This don't mean I have no confidence he turns into a top 2C or 3C. I have been one of his biggest supporters and got attacked for being "to positive" on him in the early days when people were questioning why we picked him over Tolvanen.

Nothing I said says I think Poehling is a full time winger. But hey, if our team has a complete roster and we need him to play LW. It's all good. Blues have Thomas on wing and it does not mean they gave up on the idea he can be a center in the future when he matures more.

Danault started out on wing with the Habs to start the 16/17 season. He had to earn his spot and he did. He has certainly matured into a well rounded center and a good asset for the Habs.
Danault? He is a fantastic 3rd line center who’s only claim to fame is being played as 1st line center while breaching the 50 point mark. That is called desperation, playing a 3rd line center as #1, so where do we stand? We have incoming group of rookie centers that have some fairly impressive credentials and achievements to this point. What will we do? If Coconut is any indication, they will be summarily developed as 3rd liners, or worse, while trying to make the playoffs “Now”. I hope I am wrong, but the best indication of future performance is past performance.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I seem to recall Hossa having a hot start with us but I believe that was over his first few games. It's been a long time but I seem to recall it as there was a lot of hype. I remember being so stoked at the draft when we got him.

Hossa, D'agastino a bunch of others. I definitely think Poehling's gonna be a good one. I just don't know what certain people are expecting here. To be honest though I don't know what I'm expecting either.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Hossa, D'agastino a bunch of others. I definitely think Poehling's gonna be a good one. I just don't know what certain people are expecting here. To be honest though I don't know what I'm expecting either.

With Hossa the hype was really high when he first came up, he was a 16th OA pick but I just recall people going nuts cause he had a few good games and was that high pick with the hope he would be anything close to his older brother.

Poehling I'm expecting to be a very solid NHLer, he's going to do well imo, I just don't know how well as I have a very hard time with his offense as I just haven't seen him really excel at any part to make me say he's going to put up a lot of points but I always felt he is built for the NHL, plays an NHL game and has the physical tools needed for the NHL. There's a lot to like in his game and it's why he's one of our best prospects.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Expectations changes as time goes by. I'm just expecting anything. So, I'm trusting the RP's process regardless of what happening.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I seem to recall Hossa having a hot start with us but I believe that was over his first few games. It's been a long time but I seem to recall it as there was a lot of hype. I remember being so stoked at the draft when we got him.

He started with a string of goals in consecutive games.

Reactions: montreal

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Everyone is excited about Poehling. Even you! Yes, there will more than likely be a development curve and ups and downs. I think some fans, including me, have concerns about how we will develop him.
Hossa? Seriously? How about Latendresse? That was f***ing epic! Makes the Drouin debacle look like child’s play...

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
This thread will fun to read 2 weeks into next season when Poehling is playing his 9th game with the Habs and has 1 or 2 points on the season and management decides to send him to Laval.

People claiming he is ready to be our #2 hell some have even put him as our #1 are out to lunch.

Poehling looks more like a great #3 center and hopefully turns into a 50-55 point 2nd center.

But to sit right here in the now and say this guy will be a #1C cracking 90+ point seasons simply because he has some size and got a hat trick in his 1st NHL game is bonkers!

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
This thread will fun to read 2 weeks into next season when Poehling is playing his 9th game with the Habs and has 1 or 2 points on the season and management decides to send him to Laval.

People claiming he is ready to be our #2 hell some have even put him as our #1 are out to lunch.

Poehling looks more like a great #3 center and hopefully turns into a 50-55 point 2nd center.

But to sit right here in the now and say this guy will be a #1C cracking 90+ point seasons simply because he has some size and got a hat trick in his 1st NHL game is bonkers!

But to sit right here in the now and say this guy will be a #1C cracking 90+ point seasons simply because he has some size and got a hat trick in his 1st NHL game is bonkers![/QUOTE]
We won’t know till we try him as a 4th line winger for a few months...

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
With Hossa the hype was really high when he first came up, he was a 16th OA pick but I just recall people going nuts cause he had a few good games and was that high pick with the hope he would be anything close to his older brother.

Poehling I'm expecting to be a very solid NHLer, he's going to do well imo, I just don't know how well as I have a very hard time with his offense as I just haven't seen him really excel at any part to make me say he's going to put up a lot of points but I always felt he is built for the NHL, plays an NHL game and has the physical tools needed for the NHL. There's a lot to like in his game and it's why he's one of our best prospects.

Always been on board with this assessment of Poehling. Like you and many others I don’t know about production, but I’m confident he’ll win every shift. Hopefully the points come.

Regarding Marcel Hossa, I was jacked when he scored those goals to start his career (especially his bardown half clapper against the Leafs), but I don’t know if he ever looked particularly promising out there during his stint.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Poehling is a big body that can skate and possesses a decent skill set. His upside is not really known to any of us at this point. He will probably train like a man possessed this summer and come to camp even more ready. I am excited to watch him develop.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017

Bipolar opinions :D

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

If nothing else, he's more interesting a prospect than McCarron ever was.

Reactions: Tyson

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Everyone is excited about Poehling. Even you! Yes, there will more than likely be a development curve and ups and downs. I think some fans, including me, have concerns about how we will develop him.
Hossa? Seriously? How about Latendresse? That was ****ing epic! Makes the Drouin debacle look like child’s play...

At the time of the draft I was one of the very few posters sticking up for Poehling who was getting trashed because of his low production. I've been impressed with him and have ranked him in my top 3 every time. I'm not sold on his offensive upside being a 1st or 2nd line center unless his development takes a big step forward but his overall game is enough to make him a solid NHLer. I admit I was disappointed in his production this year, he did have a great game at the WJC's vs Sweden but I don't put too much into a few games in a short tournament like that.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
At the time of the draft I was one of the very few posters sticking up for Poehling who was getting trashed because of his low production. I've been impressed with him and have ranked him in my top 3 every time. I'm not sold on his offensive upside being a 1st or 2nd line center unless his development takes a big step forward but his overall game is enough to make him a solid NHLer. I admit I was disappointed in his production this year, he did have a great game at the WJC's vs Sweden but I don't put too much into a few games in a short tournament like that.

It's hard to say what the real Poehling is. You get him away from St.Cloud and he's a goal scoring machine and I know St.Cloud was a powerhouse so that shouldn't be an excuse but maybe something wasn't quite jiving there. He looked great in the highlights I saw. Maybe his brothers were a bigger drag on him than some are conceding.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Hossa had 5 goals in his first 5 games if I remember correctly.

Poehling is a much safer bet to have a long nhl career though. I see things in him where he can be a valuable contributor without being a scoring machine.

He could end up being a better skating chipchura on the 4th line, or as upside goes, perhaps a very strong 2nd liner, who can produce, but also take the top checking assignments on the other team.. . Sort of like a less dirty kesler.

Reactions: montreal

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Playing Kotka or Poehling at any time as a winger on the third or fourth line is the most idiotic thing you could do lol. Hopefully we keep this guy in his position. I couldn’t care less what these kids can bring at 19-20-21 on a middling médiocre team battling for the playoffs. DEVELOP THEM STOP BEING SHORTSIDED AND PLUGGING THEM IN THE LINEUP AS ENERGY GUYS FFS. Poehling looks like a good one but I have no faith in this management developing a top 6 talent(not saying I project him to be but that would be the best case scenario) even less a young Center lol

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Playing Kotka or Poehling at any time as a winger on the third or fourth line is the most idiotic thing you could do lol. Hopefully we keep this guy in his position. I couldn’t care less what these kids can bring at 19-20-21 on a middling médiocre team battling for the playoffs. DEVELOP THEM STOP BEING SHORTSIDED AND PLUGGING THEM IN THE LINEUP AS ENERGY GUYS FFS. Poehling looks like a good one but I have no faith in this management developing a top 6 talent(not saying I project him to be but that would be the best case scenario) even less a young Center lol
Mistakes aren't allowed at Montreal...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->