Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 5)

Where is Poehling playing most of this season?

• 4th line Center (ex: Weal-Poehling-Armia)

• Left wing (ex: Poehling-KK-Lehkonen or Poehling-Domi-Shaw)

• 2nd line Center (Domi-Poehling-Shaw)

• Laval

• 3rd line center (move Kotkaniemi to the wing)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
He is going to be a very good two way player. This means he will be a polarizing figure as the dumb fans will complain that he doesn't put up enough points and the intelligent fans will have to endure the idiocy of the former. Kind of like it is with Danault now.

Calling fans who question the legitimacy of a 40-50 points first line center dumb doesn't make you look good.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
He is going to be a very good two way player. This means he will be a polarizing figure as the dumb fans will complain that he doesn't put up enough points and the intelligent fans will have to endure the idiocy of the former. Kind of like it is with Danault now.

The two way player sure. That's more or less his floor. I'm trying to figure out the ceiling. Is there real offence there? I hope they put him with KK. I think those 2 would be great together. I actually want RP to be a winger. I think he can be what we need on the wing. Big body with skill and skating who goes to the net. If he can score goals then he's exactly what we need. I'm sure you could move Domi to the wing but I really don't want to. I don't want Poehling on the 4th line.

Reactions: brakeyawself

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
You can't really gain 20-25 lbs in a summer. Not that much muscle.
195 will be a great weight for him, Malkin is 6’ 3” 195 and they have very similar frames. I’m 6’2 195 and strong as an Ox, stronger than lots of guys I know who are bigger than me. At 18 I was 6’2 185 just like Kotka. Too much muscle is no good, tight compact lean muscles is what he needs, and I believe he’s built that way. I don’t want him over 200 lbs.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Calling fans who question the legitimacy of a 40-50 points first line center dumb doesn't make you look good.
On the contrary. It's people who act as if having a 50 point center (whose usage minute wise, by the way, is more like a #2 by league standards) is some sort of whim of the management and coaching staff, that are not very bright. They act as if we had a true #1 locked up somwhere in the dungeon below the Bell Center by Bergevin's evil regime.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Most centers that came into the league spend time on the wing, including our very own Plekanec. Plekanec spent 4 years in the AHL, then played 4th line C, then top 9 wing, before finally getting a top 9 C .

Galchenyuk isn't a center because he isn't a center, not because of the way he was developed. What happened to Galchenyuk has nothing to do with what will happen to Kotkaniemi.
LMAO! You are right! This time it only took one year to play another large highly skilled center as a 3rd liner/4th line winger.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006

Some two way players put up points. They usually occupy one of the top two lines.

Some two way players don't put as many points, they will often occupy the 3rd/4th line, or one of the top two lines if the need arises.

Danault has always been a very good two way player who has offensive limitations.

Poehling looks like a possible two way player with far less limitations and the plausible capability to be a top 6 scorer.

Danault is what he is at this point.

Poehling is TBD. But with his ceiling, a bit of disappointment would not be unreasonable if he would fail to succeed in those offensive areas. That doesn't mean fans wouldn't be happy to have him on the team. It would just mean a further search, maybe another few seasons, for a big two way center.

Last edited:

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
The two way player sure. That's more or less his floor. I'm trying to figure out the ceiling. Is there real offence there? I hope they put him with KK. I think those 2 would be great together. I actually want RP to be a winger. I think he can be what we need on the wing. Big body with skill and skating who goes to the net. If he can score goals then he's exactly what we need. I'm sure you could move Domi to the wing but I really don't want to. I don't want Poehling on the 4th line.

Domi just doesn't seem like the ideal Center. He is fine when you don't have better options, but when you do, it seems silly to keep him there. He could do just as much damage on one of the wings, if he had a Center like we are speculating KK or Poehling might turn into. If either of them reach their ceiling, it would be a waste playing them anywhere but at C on the top two lines. Of course, if they don't then Domi could very well remain a C with the Habs. I just think his offensive ability would carry over very well to the wing and the team would make net gains on other areas of the ice and with other more complete players at Center. So it's not so much that Domi isn't a good center, it's just that other players could/should be better centers.

Last edited:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Domi just doesn't seem like the ideal Center. He is fine when you don't have better options, but when you do, it seems silly to keep him there. He could do just as much damage on one of the wings, if he had a Center like we are speculating KK or Poehling might turn into. If either of them reach their ceiling, it would be a waste playing them anywhere but at C on the top two lines. Of course, if they don't then Domi could very well remain a C with the Habs. I just think his offensive ability would carry over very well to the wing and the team would make net gains on other areas of the ice and with other more complete players at Center. So it's not so much that Domi isn't a good center, it's just that other players could/should be better centers.

I'm pretty easy but Domi might just be better with the puck on his stick more. Poehling could very well be great on the wing. Whatever works best. Domi can still get better.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I predicted that Poehling would be a very welcome addition to the Habs, even more so than Suzuki. He has size and skill and he's a two-way player. I welcomed him more than Suzuki. I look forward to seeing Poehling in the 2020 playoffs.

This is my first post in awhile. I spent about six weeks in the hospital and a rehab center and this is my first day back home. I couldn't watch the Habs on TV. Did anyone else on the roster or in Laval show promise for next season?

Reactions: OldCraig71
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad