Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 5)

Where is Poehling playing most of this season?

• 4th line Center (ex: Weal-Poehling-Armia)

• Left wing (ex: Poehling-KK-Lehkonen or Poehling-Domi-Shaw)

• 2nd line Center (Domi-Poehling-Shaw)

• Laval

• 3rd line center (move Kotkaniemi to the wing)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Domi just doesn't seem like the ideal Center. He is fine when you don't have better options, but when you do, it seems silly to keep him there. He could do just as much damage on one of the wings, if he had a Center like we are speculating KK or Poehling might turn into. If either of them reach their ceiling, it would be a waste playing them anywhere but at C on the top two lines. Of course, if they don't then Domi could very well remain a C with the Habs. I just think his offensive ability would carry over very well to the wing and the team would make net gains on other areas of the ice and with other more complete players at Center. So it's not so much that Domi isn't a good center, it's just that other players could/should be better centers.
So frustrating to read stuff like this over and over again. Domi excels because he is constantly flying out there. On the wing, he will be battling much more and flying less. If we truyly have two top centres and two bottom centres and have no need for Domi anymore, you will get more for him by trading a 72 point center than by trading him internally into a LW.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Kotkaniemi, at the end of the season, said he was tired towards the end of the season - which is what Julien said - the conspiracy here was that it was false. Hence why he was played less and on the wing.
Yes, an 18 year old said he was “tired” and then was assigned to 4th line wing duty to rest.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Domi just doesn't seem like the ideal Center. He is fine when you don't have better options, but when you do, it seems silly to keep him there. He could do just as much damage on one of the wings, if he had a Center like we are speculating KK or Poehling might turn into. If either of them reach their ceiling, it would be a waste playing them anywhere but at C on the top two lines. Of course, if they don't then Domi could very well remain a C with the Habs. I just think his offensive ability would carry over very well to the wing and the team would make net gains on other areas of the ice and with other more complete players at Center. So it's not so much that Domi isn't a good center, it's just that other players could/should be better centers.
You want to move Domi from center to the wing. You realize he put up #1 center numbers, right?

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I predicted that Poehling would be a very welcome addition to the Habs, even more so than Suzuki. He has size and skill and he's a two-way player. I welcomed him more than Suzuki. I look forward to seeing Poehling in the 2020 playoffs.

This is my first post in awhile. I spent about six weeks in the hospital and a rehab center and this is my first day back home. I couldn't watch the Habs on TV. Did anyone else on the roster or in Laval show promise for next season?
Suzuki showed lots of promise:sarcasm:. BTW good luck with your rehab.

Reactions: jaffy27

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
I literally started posting here again because of Poehling. The hate he was getting after being drafted was some of the worst this board has ever seen. In fact I can't recall a first rounder who ever was met with a worse reaction after being drafted on this forum. Glad he's shutting the haters up.

I think a lot of people assumed he would be another McCaron.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
I think a lot of people assumed he would be another McCaron.

Poehling is actually really fast for his size. There were questions about his skating early on but he worked that out. He actually reminds me a lot of Ryan O’Reilly.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
I think you're jumping the gun, to say the least.

At the end of the day we'll find out at training camp next year. But for the final stretch, Kotkaniemi wasn't even as good a center as Jordan Weal, let alone Domi or Danault. Poehling has played 1 NHL game.

Let's be patient with both of these very promising youngsters.
Poehling dominated the WJC, he dominated his league, he stepped in the NHL and dominated more than we have ever seen Danault dominate. He’s a man teen and way more advanced than Kotka right now. Poehling and Kotka will be our 1st and 2nd line center dynamite duo. Bookmark it. Despite our Achilles heal/teacher’s pet Danault.

Poehling
Kotka
Danault

I don’t understand those who would be scared to play Poehling at #1 right now..

Domi-Poehling-Gally

I think he would be extremely well surrounded on this line. He’s not a little bitch boy like Drouin, he can handle it. He’s a real hockey player. Prototypical center. I lol at those who are scared shitless to take chances. Let’s keep Danot in our top 6 for ever. See where that gets us.

Even if we were given rookie Crosby he would play behind Danault for the next 3 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: calder candidate

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
Poehling was tied for 70th in the NCAA in points, how is that dominating?
He didn’t have the greatest help on that team. He was fantastic on most nights. Where do you project him to end up? Do you see a first line center?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He didn’t have the greatest help on that team. He was fantastic on most nights. Where do you project him to end up? Do you see a first line center?

He didn't have the greatest help by playing on the best team in the NCAA and the 2nd highest scoring?

He'll end up where he ends up, NCAA players can be tough to say. I said all year he would be a lock to be an NHLer, at the very worst he would be a 4th liner as he just has that NHL style game so that even if he somehow never got any better he would be a solid 4th liner. I expect him to easily be a very good 3rd liner, if his offensive game improves then a good 2nd liner. Things would need to go outstanding for him to be a top line center which would be shocking to me but it's about how much can he continue to improve or not.

I'm not big on trying to predict on what line a player will be per say. I try and look at how they improve on their weaknesses from year to year.

Reactions: BabyPanda

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
He didn't have the greatest help by playing on the best team in the NCAA and the 2nd highest scoring?

He'll end up where he ends up, NCAA players can be tough to say. I said all year he would be a lock to be an NHLer, at the very worst he would be a 4th liner as he just has that NHL style game so that even if he somehow never got any better he would be a solid 4th liner. I expect him to easily be a very good 3rd liner, if his offensive game improves then a good 2nd liner. Things would need to go outstanding for him to be a top line center which would be shocking to me but it's about how much can he continue to improve or not.

I'm not big on trying to predict on what line a player will be per say. I try and look at how they improve on their weaknesses from year to year.
I don’t think he would have a problem being a fist line center on this team after Danault has been one. I don’t see that as shocking at all. Domi should be on the left wing. Poehling is ahead of KK right now, who is ahead of Danault offensively. Poehling is already our best true offensive centerman. He goes to the net hard with speed and skill, a recipe for success. I wouldn’t be scared at all to put him in that position. If he shows me he can’t handle it then I move him down the lineup.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I don’t think he would have a problem being a fist line center on this team after Danault has been one. I don’t see that as shocking at all. Domi should be on the left wing. Poehling is ahead of KK right now, who is ahead of Danault offensively. Poehling is already our best true offensive centerman. He goes to the net hard with speed and skill, a recipe for success. I wouldn’t be scared at all to put him in that position. If he shows me he can’t handle it then I move him down the lineup.

I think the kid has great potential, but I am not ready just yet to put an 8-goal scorer in the NCAA 36 game season ahead of a 28 goal scorer in an 82 game NHL season. Not for a while I don't think, if ever.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
I think the kid has great potential, but I am not ready just yet to put an 8-goal scorer in the NCAA 36 game season ahead of a 28 goal scorer in an 82 game NHL season. Not for a while I don't think, if ever.
What would we have to lose by staring him out at #1C in the beginning of the year when the league is easier? If things get to hard for him later on in the season we can bump him down. Nothing to lose and everything to gain. Phil Danault will still be the same player if we need him. It’s like having a Ferrari but not going past third gear because you are scared to go fast.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Poehling plays 1 game in the NHL and is now our best offensive center?

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Not sure why people are so much into predicting one prospect/young player's exact position in the lineup. 1C, 2C, 3C, on the wing, who cares. Who knows who will play on our lineup in the future, let alone next year. It seems like this subject of discussion is being played on repeat, in a lot of threads.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Too early to assume that type of assessment. Poehling is not yet fully established as a centerman. His numbers of game aren't enough.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
I know Poehling will be a top 2 center because they way he handles himself like a professional and they way he talks reminds me a lot of Carey Price and Shea Weber and Max Pacioretty.

The way he plays and position himself he scores and crash the net. His wrist shot looks elusive on his third goal and shootout goal. His skating is also very good and he’s a physical player.

The closest comparison I think of is Ryan Oreilly.
Poehling will turn out to be as good as Oreilly we have a steal.

Jesperi Kotkaniemi might not be Crosby or Malkin but he’s a Mikko Koivu Sean Monahan type two way center.

Time will tell how good these guys will be. Just imagine having Ryan Oreilly Mikko Koivu as our future and add a mature Philip Danault a potential Selke candidate.

That’s third effective two way centres.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
Poehling plays 1 game in the NHL and is now our best offensive center?
He should get a chance at it off the bat, if he excels you leave him there, if he starts to struggle you move him down. The beginning of the season is easier, it’s the perfect time to try him out. Throw him to the wolves and see if he can pull a Pettersson.

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I know Poehling will be a top 2 center because they way he handles himself like a professional and they way he talks reminds me a lot of Carey Price and Shea Weber and Max Pacioretty.

The way he plays and position himself he scores and crash the net. His wrist shot looks elusive on his third goal and shootout goal. His skating is also very good and he’s a physical player.

The closest comparison I think of is Ryan Oreilly.
Poehling will turn out to be as good as Oreilly we have a steal.

Jesperi Kotkaniemi might not be Crosby or Malkin but he’s a Mikko Koivu Sean Monahan type two way center.

Time will tell how good these guys will be. Just imagine having Ryan Oreilly Mikko Koivu as our future and add a mature Philip Danault a potential Selke candidate.

That’s third effective two way centres.
Not to mention Domi, who brings tremendous speed and, despite his size, underrated grit. I like the idea of playing these four as Cs 1-4, roughly 15 minutes a game each. No elite talent (yet!), but superb depth at that position. If one of these Cs wants it more than the others, based on performance, increase his ice-time. If we need a goal badly in late 2nd or 3rd period, play any two of them together, bumping down the most indifferent winger while bumping up the other Cs, and shift Weal from wing to 4C during that game.

Let the young guys learn on the job, and live with mistakes in the short term to develop a juggernaut at C in the long term.

That said, very happy if Poehling forces the hand of Julien's hand and motivates a promotion to 1C or 2C, playing next to Domi for example. Domi could still play as wing, but adopt a play-making winger style, in a Panarin or Huberdeau mould, with dynamic switching with the center.

Last edited:

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
Too early to assume that type of assessment. Poehling is not yet fully established as a centerman. His numbers of game aren't enough.
Well have you ever seen Danault play a game like that in the NHL?

Did Danault ever dominate the WJC and win the MVP?

LaTenderness

Feb 9, 2019
Did Danault ever throw 4 touchdowns in one game?

5bec40aa58b0314d47297ceff0ad3bf1.jpg

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Well have you ever seen Danault play a game like that in the NHL?

Did Danault ever dominate the WJC and win the MVP?

Todd Harvey, former 9th overall pick. Had a hat trick in one of his first games - did it all that game fought, was a physical presence, was dominant offensively. Danault's never had a night like that. But at 27, Danault's already had a better career than Todd Harvey had - he went on to become a 4th line grinder, while his career lasted.

Having said that, I'm very high on Poehling. I have high hopes that he'll become a top 6 center and a real force. I like the way he gets up and down the ice well, he has a nose for the net, he has a lot of drive, and he's elevated his game so far when he's been on bigger stages. For me, it's just a matter of being patient and hopefully enjoying his rise to great heights.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaffy27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->