Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 5)

Discussion in 'Montreal Canadiens' started by ahmedou, Apr 2, 2019.

?

Where is Poehling playing most of this season?

1. 4th line Center (ex: Weal-Poehling-Armia)

2. Left wing (ex: Poehling-KK-Lehkonen or Poehling-Domi-Shaw)

3. 2nd line Center (Domi-Poehling-Shaw)

4. Laval

5. 3rd line center (move Kotkaniemi to the wing)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BaseballCoach

BaseballCoach Registered User

Yes, because he has the best career shooting percentage of any player in the history of the NHL.

2. TooLegitToQuit

TooLegitToQuit Loyal Habs Fan

Civil Engineering
    He plays the game the right way and is build for big games. He is not afraid to go to the net and his skating/skill/size combo is all very good. I like this kid too. Might take him a bit to adjust and be a puck possession type center. I'm fine with him starting on wing to be honest.

jaffy27 likes this.
  3. ahmedou

ahmedou #GoHabsdouGo

He's a free electron. Skating over the ice nonstop to make his presences valuable. You don't need to motivate him. Playing this type of 200 feet game that I encourage all of our players to do it at the centerman position.

TooLegitToQuit and jaffy27 like this.
  4. TooLegitToQuit

Civil Engineering
    He has the key ingredient in terms of development... hunger to keep getting better and commits to a team strategy vs personal goals only.

5. ahmedou

ahmedou #GoHabsdouGo

I became more fan of the NCAA than previously. Because of these Poehling's type of guys. In his proper case, he did the right decision. On extending his passage at college for an additional two seasons. I give him a real props for this. He was conscious that the NHL isn't a league of development. And to get ready at time. There's a prolonged procedure to follow carefully to the letter.

McTusk likes this.
  6. TooLegitToQuit

Civil Engineering
    The one thing I remember with Poehling is what he did in the off season after his 1st NCAA year. He realized what his weakness was and went out and added muscle in the off season to be better prepared for his 2nd NCAA year. This kid is committed to getting better and better and he plays a team game.

What is the weakness to his game today? I can get picky but nothing really stands out to me.

The kid cried when they lost in the WJC. He wants to win badly and 2nd place was not enough.

7. ahmedou

ahmedou #GoHabsdouGo

Maybe handling his emotions. That's what I listened into his own words (offseason itw). Which I transcribed above.

TooLegitToQuit likes this.
  8. montreal

montreal Go Habs Go

why do you say that?

9. DramaticGloveSave

DramaticGloveSave Voice of Reason

Because he played with his brothers.

10. montreal

montreal Go Habs Go

He wasn't always with them, and he wasn't with them on the 1st PP unit while being on the 2nd highest scoring team in the NCAA. Sounds more like an excuse, do you know why he played with his brothers?

TooLegitToQuit likes this.
  11. cphabs

cphabs The 2 stooges

So, with all of our center prospects playing wing, do we still need centers? It looks like it.

12. DramaticGloveSave

Because he wanted to.

13. Goal Caufield

Goal Caufield Best Dog Ever

Why does that matter

14. ahmedou

ahmedou #GoHabsdouGo

That's my own explanation, into my following sentences.

A tonsillitis surgery. Fixing a deviated septum. All that on July 2018. Then sportively speaking, St Cloud was powerhouse. He grow up as a leader. Had not a huge fixation about offensive numbers. Doing just what he got to do. Too simply as that...

15. DramaticGloveSave

Because his brothers are college level grinders- not future NHLers...

16. Estimated_Prophet

Estimated_Prophet Registered User

To be fair he played on a team that was deep and rolled their forward lines and spread PP minutes. He fell under a ppg playing with his brothers ( who are both pretty useless)at the end of the season.

I don't think he will be a huge scorer in the NHL but his hockey IQ has far better support from NHL linemates than the line mates he had to carry in St.Cloud. His game is tailored to the pro game and imo is our best forward prospect (excluding Kotkaniemi).

You have seen more of him than anyone else on this board, I suspect that you carry similar sentiments about him.

17. montreal

montreal Go Habs Go

During one of the games the play by play said that the coach wanted to put him on a line with his brothers because he wanted him to start shooting the puck more instead of passing too much.

He was still on the top PP unit but yes he had a very deep team, the deepest in the NCAA as any line in any game was a threat and tuff to contain.

They put him with his brothers because he wasn't shooting enough, he had 3 goals but in the 2nd half he scored 5 of his 8 goals as his brothers would dig pucks out for him.

I do think his game is tailored to the NHL, have been calling him a lock to be an NHLer as at the very worst I think he would be a much better Chipchura which there's not many prospects you can say at the very worst they would be average 4th liner.

I have Suzuki higher due to the upside, his shot, passing and creativity are so high that if he can overcome his average physical tools of speed, skating, strength, size, and find a way to be a bit more up tempo then I think he can be a very good NHLer. Poehling is right there since he's such a safe bet but I just question how high his offensive production will be. Outside of Kotka these are our best 2 forward prospects and to me if you add in Primeau and Brook you have our top 4 prospects in whatever order each person prefers.

18. sandviper

sandviper No Ragrets

Damn! Such bias against Montreal. Poehling was added to NHL 19 in the recent roster update and is only a 79.

The guy averages 3 goals a game and has a 100% shootout percentage. He should be rated 99 with high franchise potential!

:sarcasm:

19. ahmedou

ahmedou #GoHabsdouGo

It's not a simple game who'll say to him that's your rating. For me, he gets a 1909 all day long according to his constant level of compete.

20. TooLegitToQuit

Civil Engineering
    Who said all of our center prospects are playing wing? If the Blues can play Thomas on wing, we can play Poehling on wing. I didn't say both Kotkaniemi and Poehling play wing.

21. Habs Icing

Habs Icing Formerly Onice

Filmmaker
    From what I've seen I think for the immediate future Domi will be the #1 and KK #2. Danault and Poehling will eventually have to battle for the #3 spot. which is not a bad thing. Poehling may end up being a better winger than centerman. If remember correctly didn't Poehling play mostly wing at the World Juniors?

22. ahmedou

ahmedou #GoHabsdouGo

I'm willing perhaps one day to put them into the wing. When they'll be experimented and young veterans. Not atm.

23. DramaticGloveSave

He played both but shone brightest at C.

24. TooLegitToQuit

Civil Engineering
    This whole center and winger thing is overblown cause of how Galchenyuk turned out. For some reason, we think his development is messed up cause he could not show ability to be trusted at center and we played him on wing.

The player either has it or they don't.

- Kotkaniemi clearly has the vision and smarts to play center. Issue is he lacks strength and he needs to keep working at his skating. Towards the end of the year when his time and space was reduced cause the intensity was increased for the playoff drive, he started to force plays cause he knew he didn't have much time to make a decision with the puck.

- Poehling is more NHL ready. He is older and he is stronger. He had a great last game of the year but he has work to do in terms of being a puck possession type center.

Keeping them at this position and letting them struggle and struggle and struggle is just as dumb as moving him back and forth from wing to center and vice versa. If they struggle but you want them in the line-up cause you feel they can produce, you try them on wing. If they still struggle, you consider moving them to Laval and let them play center.

25. cphabs

cphabs The 2 stooges

Didn’t say you did, but I’ve seen arguments for every center prospect we have, even Coconut, to play as a winger. Poehling as a winger is insane BTW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.