Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 5)

Where is Poehling playing most of this season?

• 4th line Center (ex: Weal-Poehling-Armia)

• Left wing (ex: Poehling-KK-Lehkonen or Poehling-Domi-Shaw)

• 2nd line Center (Domi-Poehling-Shaw)

• Laval

• 3rd line center (move Kotkaniemi to the wing)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
lol ya that’s why I like Poehling, centers with his all around game don’t go late first round very often. He really does have it all. He may never be elite, but he’s going to be a solid #2C at the least.

the fact that it looks like he actually has a good shot is going to help a lot. he can score greasy goals too.

Reactions: cphabs

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
the fact that it looks like he actually has a good shot is going to help a lot. he can score greasy goals too.
Ya I never was concerned with his shot. He's a high IQ player offensively, and he's going to take what is there for him. And as you said, he's going to go to the net too. I don't think he'll ever be a 30 goal guy, but he can be a 20+ goal guy and enough of a threat where it opens up the passing lanes.

Reactions: Redux91

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Ya I never was concerned with his shot. He's a high IQ player offensively, and he's going to take what is there for him. And as you said, he's going to go to the net too. I don't think he'll ever be a 30 goal guy, but he can be a 20+ goal guy and enough of a threat where it opens up the passing lanes.

He's looking like a 264 goal guy as of right now

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
We’ve fixed our center position which we were lacking for 20 years.

Danault
Domi
Kotkaniemi
Poehling

That’s a solid 4.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
It's funny, that even thought he scored 3 goals (4 with the shootout), that's not what impressed me the most about him (don't get me wrong, it was damn impressive he scored those goals). He has the speed, size, and IQ to be an NHLer next year. He didn't look like a rookie at all. He looked very comfortable. I would have come away with a positive impression even had he not scored those goals.

I agree. I don't want to get too far ahead of myself. I am getting a Draisaitl/Scheifele vibe from Poehling. Or maybe more a Zibanijad vibe. But either way I think he can be that kind of player that can play on the wing if needed, next to a great C, or can play as a C. Whether his offense will reach their level, it's too soon to tell. But I do think he can at least be that TYPE of player. Maybe just slightly less production ceiling. But really, I am not even sure that is the case, depending on whom he eventually plays with. He won't likely have the elite teammates those 2 have. So that would effect his production of course.

I think 30/40 or 40/40 type seasons at his peak are completely viable.

Last edited:
Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
His first game will very possibly end up being the best one of his career, and maybe also his worst one.
Read this thread. After all the comments, if this guy doesn't completely dominates next camp and doesn't start racking up the points early in the year, people are going to be so disappointed. Imagine if he ends up with a respectable 30pts in his rookie year?

Well, part of that is probably because he's on the Habs. Hopefully though, fans will give him some space to grow before jumping down his back. Honestly, I think just how long Habs fans have been waiting for the KK/Poehling type of Center, most will just be ecstatic to have them on the team and will probably allow them time to make mistakes.

All though, Poehling looks very polished to me. Way more polished than I had assumed. But he looked that way in the WJC also. It really wouldn't surprise me if he fit right into the top 6 next season and never looks back.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Well, part of that is probably because he's on the Habs. Hopefully though, fans will give him some space to grow before jumping down his back. Honestly, I think just how long Habs fans have been waiting for the KK/Poehling type of Center, most will just be ecstatic to have them on the team and will probably allow them time to make mistakes.

All though, Poehling looks very polished to me. Way more polished than I had assumed. But he looked that way in the WJC also. It really wouldn't surprise me if he fit right into the top 6 next season and never looks back.

That's the thing. He always seemed to know where to go. There were no "timid" or "lost" moments for him. He's a high IQ type of guy. Made some great smart passes too. Skating looks good to me. Physicality and size is quite good and NHL level. I think he'll be even more prepared physically next year. Bottom line, he's the type of guy that will make our forward core much more solid, regardless if he's scoring at a high level or not.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
We’ve fixed our center position which we were lacking for 20 years.

Danault
Domi
Kotkaniemi
Poehling

That’s a solid 4.

That's decent.

But we need to make choices. In 3 years, who plays where?

Not long ago, we had Plekanec, DD, Galchenyuk and Eller. It was very badly managed. We chose to hang on on Plek and DD for too long and it kinda ruined the potential of Galchenyuk and Eller.

In 2-3 years, I expect Kotka in the top 6, Poehling in the middle 6, as centers of course

So we need to take a decision with Danault. Keep him and play on the 4th line? I might seem like a luxury but it's bad cap management. I think he has good value to bring us something interesting so I'd trade him.

Unless we move Domi on the wing and have

Kotka
Poehling
Danault

It's not Tavares-Matthews-Kadri or Kuznetsov-Backstrom-Eller or Crosby-Malkin-Bjugstad or Stamkos-Point-Miller/Johnson or Bergeron-Krejci-Kuraly.. but yeah.

MC94

May 13, 2018
He’s ahead of Kotkaniemi right now. The big X factor is how much Kotkaniemi can grow his game.
I dono if I would put him ahead of Kotka just yet he has only played 1 game, for all we know Poehling could be starting next year in the AHL! I doubt it but you never know

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I dono if I would put him ahead of Kotka just yet he has only played 1 game, for all we know Poehling could be starting next year in the AHL! I doubt it but you never know
Kotka has the higher ceiling, but he's also got the strength of a child. If Poehling had played all year I think he'd have been better than Kotka just due to his NHL frame and game.

MC94

May 13, 2018
That's decent.

But we need to make choices. In 3 years, who plays where?

Not long ago, we had Plekanec, DD, Galchenyuk and Eller. It was very badly managed. We chose to hang on on Plek and DD for too long and it kinda ruined the potential of Galchenyuk and Eller.

In 2-3 years, I expect Kotka in the top 6, Poehling in the middle 6, as centers of course

So we need to take a decision with Danault. Keep him and play on the 4th line? I might seem like a luxury but it's bad cap management. I think he has good value to bring us something interesting so I'd trade him.

Unless we move Domi on the wing and have

Kotka
Poehling
Danault

It's not Tavares-Matthews-Kadri or Kuznetsov-Backstrom-Eller or Crosby-Malkin-Bjugstad or Stamkos-Point-Miller/Johnson or Bergeron-Krejci-Kuraly.. but yeah.
Domi on the wing is far more likley than Bergevin trading his favourite player imo

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
lol ya that’s why I like Poehling, centers with his all around game don’t go late first round very often. He really does have it all. He may never be elite, but he’s going to be a solid #2C at the least.

To give us an idea of what a late first rounder works out to be, on average, Artturi Lehkonen is the 24th highest life to date scorer from the 2013 draft.

Reactions: brakeyawself

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

I know you and WTK had a long back and forth about it but I feel like his concerns were legit. It was pretty bizarre that he more or less had 3 full seasons at the NCAA level where I don't know if he beat a goalie cleanly from 15 feet out. WTK may have overblown the consequences of that lack a shot (maybe just a little overblown) but I do think it was a concern.

Yet WJCs he scored that one gorgeous one which I think was the 3rd of his hat trick and the last two he scored last week were really nice shots. You can't help but wonder how he hid that thing for so long. I'm still cautious. He's gonna be a good player. I still don't know if it's top 6 good not saying it isn't I just genuinely don't know. His chances improve though if he gets switched to wing. I still think that that could be an option

Reactions: Redux91

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I know you and WTK had a long back and forth about it but I feel like his concerns were legit. It was pretty bizarre that he more or less had 3 full seasons at the NCAA level where I don't know if he beat a goalie cleanly from 15 feet out. WTK may have overblown the consequences of that lack a shot (maybe just a little overblown) but I do think it was a concern.

Yet WJCs he scored that one gorgeous one which I think was the 3rd of his hat trick and the last two he scored last week were really nice shots. You can't help but wonder how he hid that thing for so long. I'm still cautious. He's gonna be a good player. I still don't know if it's top 6 good not saying it isn't I just genuinely don't know. His chances improve though if he gets switched to wing. I still think that that could be an option
He’s a high IQ player and he makes good decisions with the puck. I never saw a guy who was afraid to shoot or couldn’t shoot, rather a guy who found better options when they were there.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Domi on the wing is far more likley than Bergevin trading his favourite player imo

While Domi did really well this season, I still see him as a player that could play either wing or center and probably at around the same level. He's also decent but not great at faceoffs so I could definitely see him being paired with a guy like Poehling, who probably will end up being better at FW, same for Kotka.

Really, if Domi or Poehling played together, I think they could switch off between wing and Center and even at the wing Poehling could still take the majority of FOs. Ultimately I would still see Poehling ending up at C long term though. I just don't know if Domi's impact at Center is that much greater than he could do at the wing with similar quality linemates.

Reactions: larrypacman8167

MC94

May 13, 2018
While Domi did really well this season, I still see him as a player that could play either wing or center and probably at around the same level. He's also decent but not great at faceoffs so I could definitely see him being paired with a guy like Poehling, who probably will end up being better at FW, same for Kotka.

Really, if Domi or Poehling played together, I think they could switch off between wing and Center and even at the wing Poehling could still take the majority of FOs. Ultimately I would still see Poehling ending up at C long term though. I just don't know if Domi's impact at Center is that much greater than he could do at the wing with similar quality linemates.
Ya I think it could be argued his offense numbers could go up if he was playing wing, dont get me wrong I like him as a center and wouldnt mind him there longterm but he is talented enough to be a consistent 70-80 point winger not so sure I say the same as a center though probably float between 60-70 points a year which is still fantastic but the defensive responsabilities will make it tough to hit 80

Reactions: brakeyawself

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Ya I think it could be argued his offense numbers could go up if he was playing wing, dont get me wrong I like him as a center and wouldnt mind him there longterm but he is talented enough to be a consistent 70-80 point winger not so sure I say the same as a center though probably float between 60-70 points a year which is still fantastic but the defensive responsibilities will make it tough to hit 80

Yup, that's a big part it. Also, why I think the path for KK/Poehling is pretty clear to play Center. If they earn it at least. I still think Danault is an absolutely ideal 3C, rather than 1C/2C, if the Habs develop those 2 properly. Danault is going to get time playing SH also and I would rather have him doing the dirty work than any of the other 3 in question. But eventually, move Domi to the wing, have KK/Poehling/Danault as Centers 1-3 and that leaves them room to play around with that 4th line or use it to develop other players either with the team now or that are eventually drafted/acquired.

Of course if the Habs end up with Hughes in the draft, or even someone like Dach, they going to have some thinking to do. Personally, I am rooting for them to get Kakko or Byram, Podkolzin next. After that I am really not sure, but they will have to get lucky for any of those 3. Adding another Center early in the 1st Round doesn't seem like the best idea unless they can play wing or be a clear upgrade on KK/Poe.

Reactions: dralaf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia