Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 5)

Where is Poehling playing most of this season?

• 4th line Center (ex: Weal-Poehling-Armia)

• Left wing (ex: Poehling-KK-Lehkonen or Poehling-Domi-Shaw)

• 2nd line Center (Domi-Poehling-Shaw)

• Laval

• 3rd line center (move Kotkaniemi to the wing)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
The general rule of thumb is 1lbs of lean muscle per month. He's listed at 184lbs, if he can get to 190lbs by September that would be excellent.

KK listed at 184 lbs is a farce,not even close.more like 160 lbs. At his light weight,he has to be quicker so as not to be plastered. But adding another 20-25 lbs over the summer will help tremendously. He needs a good program to address this,very conceivable to do.

Poehling just need to add a few lbs's and work on more quickness.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Let him develop in the Khl

Get more minutes, get pp time, get more points

We have to stop rushing prospects who haven't even dominated a league before the NHL. Poehling I agree with cause he is considered one of the better players in the NCAA. But Kotkaniemi? I think this was a premature move and it would be similar with Romanov. Not terrible to their development in terms of "ruining them" but it's not smart asset management IMO.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
We have to stop rushing prospects who haven't even dominated a league before the NHL. Poehling I agree with cause he is considered one of the better players in the NCAA. But Kotkaniemi? I think this was a premature move and it would be similar with Romanov. Not terrible to their development in terms of "ruining them" but it's not smart asset management IMO.

For kk, I thought Laval would have had been an amazing development place. Now that he didnt look too much out of place, I was right. He would have probably helped the team make the playoffs as well.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
For kk, I thought Laval would have had been an amazing development place. Now that he didnt look too much out of place, I was right. He would have probably helped the team make the playoffs as well.

I just think it was a premature move for a prospect we drafted and was considered a long term development option. We also burned his ELC and have to protect him in the expansion draft now. Was it worth it or did we ruin him? :dunno:. I just don't think it's smart asset management and there risks in terms of his confidence when he struggles. Look at how confidence is affecting Drouin's game. Our fan base will only tolerate it for so long. If Kotkaniemi struggles to improve or has stalled development, he is next to go under the bus

Laval or back to Finland. Let him dominate a development leauge first. It's too late now. Lets hope Kotkaniemi adds some muscle this off season and show ability to develop further by playing NHL games and against strong players.

At the end of the day, his hunger to improve is what is important. Same goes for Romanov. Can he take bigger role on the KHL team next year as a 19/20 year old.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Makes no sense to rush him. He's developing well but did not dominate the KHL. So let him play another year in the same situation and then we see where he stands after next season.

After seeing Kk and Mete struggle at certain poi ts this year, i'm very open to having out waiver eligible players develop, and dominate, lower levels. Especially if we're able to land quality ufa's. That way, when the young guys are really pushing the envelope, we can trade from our depth of vets and acquire quality assets like extra 1st and 2nd round picks. The last two years respectively, Mete and Kk mainly made it because we were f_ _ _ ed without them.

As in, i would have no problem with mete, juulsen, poehling, and kk spending a year in laval because we signed Karlsson, Gardiner, Duchene or Hayes, and Panarin or Anders Lee or Nyqvist, etc...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
After seeing Kk and Mete struggle at certain poi ts this year, i'm very open to having out waiver eligible players develop, and dominate, lower levels. Especially if we're able to land quality ufa's. That way, when the young guys are really pushing the envelope, we can trade from our depth of vets and acquire quality assets like extra 1st and 2nd round picks. The last two years respectively, Mete and Kk mainly made it because we were f_ _ _ ed without them.

As in, i would have no problem with mete, juulsen, poehling, and kk spending a year in laval because we signed Karlsson, Gardiner, Duchene or Hayes, and Panarin or Anders Lee or Nyqvist, etc...

Agree 100%! Unfortunately, our management team has a different plan and strategy. They will open the door and allow any prospect to force their way on the team even if it's in a bottom 6 role. To be fair to them, they are not the only ones.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Agree 100%! Unfortunately, our management team has a different plan and strategy. They will open the door and allow any prospect to force their way on the team even if it's in a bottom 6 role. To be fair to them, they are not the only ones.

I'm really looking forward to free agency. I think bergevin will try. However i could easily see him getting outbid on term by other teams.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It is crazy when you think about, Poehling was tied for 70th in the NCAA in points, and then goes to the NHL and scores 3 goals and a SO goal that almost didn't happen because Julien put Weal out instead of him as the 3rd shooter.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
It is crazy when you think about, Poehling was tied for 70th in the NCAA in points, and then goes to the NHL and scores 3 goals and a SO goal that almost didn't happen because Julien put Weal out instead of him as the 3rd shooter.

Yeah its fascinating

Some players just need an NHL environment, need NHL speed around them, and most importantly, NHL players around them for even themselves to understand what their potential can be

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I'm really looking forward to free agency. I think bergevin will try. However i could easily see him getting outbid on term by other teams.
he will pretend to try, he laready has an excuse ready since his end of season PC (wives).

time to lower your standards a notch folks!

Reactions: 26Mats

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Like every other team in the NHL...

You either fill out the bottom of your roster with waiver-worthy fodder, or, if one of your young players wins a spot, you let them gain experience.

This is the reality of the cap world.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

nice. I don't know. You have St. Cloud Poehling who people are LEGITIMATELY wondering if he has a shot and then you have NOT SC Poehling who can't go a few games without getting a hatty. I feel like Jerry watching George squint his way to spotting dimes but also eating onions. Can't get a read on him. He's gonna be a good player but I don't know if he's gonna be a difference maker. He can definitely make our team better at least.

We need him, Suzuki, Brook, Romanov et al. hitting our most optimistic projected ceilings to really get us up there if we can't get a game changer or two as a UFA or in this draft (and next).

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
nice. I don't know. You have St. Cloud Poehling who people are LEGITIMATELY wondering if he has a shot and then you have NOT SC Poehling who can't go a few games without getting a hatty. I feel like Jerry watching George squint his way to spotting dimes but also eating onions. Can't get a read on him. He's gonna be a good player but I don't know if he's gonna be a difference maker. He can definitely make our team better at least.

We need him, Suzuki, Brook, Romanov et al. hitting our most optimistic projected ceilings to really get us up there if we can't get a game changer or two as a UFA or in this draft (and next).
He is going to be a very good two way player. This means he will be a polarizing figure as the dumb fans will complain that he doesn't put up enough points and the intelligent fans will have to endure the idiocy of the former. Kind of like it is with Danault now.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I literally started posting here again because of Poehling. The hate he was getting after being drafted was some of the worst this board has ever seen. In fact I can't recall a first rounder who ever was met with a worse reaction after being drafted on this forum. Glad he's shutting the haters up.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
I literally started posting here again because of Poehling. The hate he was getting after being drafted was some of the worst this board has ever seen. In fact I can't recall a first rounder who ever was met with a worse reaction after being drafted on this forum. Glad he's shutting the haters up.
Who did people want instead?

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Just thinking, I wonder what would have happened if he would have played the three games prior....

we might of got sweept by the Lightning, pick higher and maybe miss on a player that could of done damage for us for years.

we might have beat the ligthning, win a cup, pick last.

i think the first options is more probable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille