Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 5)

Where is Poehling playing most of this season?

• 4th line Center (ex: Weal-Poehling-Armia)

• Left wing (ex: Poehling-KK-Lehkonen or Poehling-Domi-Shaw)

• 2nd line Center (Domi-Poehling-Shaw)

• Laval

• 3rd line center (move Kotkaniemi to the wing)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
twyb7iV.jpg

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Kotkaniemi gave him a big congratulations after the game.

But KK has a lot of pride. I think any success Poehling will have will only push KK to want to "get on his level."

Agreed. It's just comical. Kotkaniemi needs to add muscle like Poehling did.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He will. Kid is still 18 I think lol.

I remember Poehling talking about his year after his draft +1. He said the added muscle he gained in the off season was something he focused on cause he felt that he was outmatched physically in his 1st NCAA season.

Hunger to improve is hard to predict in any prospect. Poehling clearly has it. Kotkaniemi needs to bust his ass off this summer and I hope the Habs support him in any way they can to ensure he works on the right things. Adding 10-20 lbs of muscle should be one of them.

Reactions: Acadien86

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
The Leafs game is only one game, but at least it gives him a leg up coming into camp next year. Before, he was an unknown commodity that we all hoped would be good and ready but we weren't sure when. Now, at least after that game, we see that he has a lot of good qualities to build on offensively and he's definitely physically ready.

Definitely a pleasant surprise in a game where there was nothing to really root for. Good for him.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I remember Poehling talking about his year after his draft +1. He said the added muscle he gained in the off season was something he focused on cause he felt that he was outmatched physically in his 1st NCAA season.

Hunger to improve is hard to predict in any prospect. Poehling clearly has it. Kotkaniemi needs to bust his ass off this summer and I hope the Habs support him in any way they can to ensure he works on the right things. Adding 10-20 lbs of muscle should be one of them.
Not sure about 10-20lbs of muscle in one off season, not that you are suggesting that, but 20 pounds of muscle by 21 years old could be done. Kid is obviously still growing to be that lean IMO.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Maguire on tsn690 now saying he's been more bullish on Poehling than most every since he was drafted. Yet before the world juniors he said he doesn't see enough offense in him to be anything more than a 3c, not a 2c like some are hoping...

Reactions: jaffy27

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Maguire on tsn690 now saying he's been more bullish on Poehling than most every since he was drafted. Yet before the world juniors he said he doesn't see enough offense in him to be anything more than a 3c, not a 2c like some are hoping...
Kid destroyed the WJC when given his chance. Walked onto the Habs and was lights out in our last game vs our nemesis. He scored a scrum goal that requires size tenacity and some balls. Then he went on to score a goal which required positioning (right place at the right time). Then he received an outlet pass that allowed him to score while skating full speed with a wrister. His shootout goal was filthy as they come.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The Leafs game is only one game, but at least it gives him a leg up coming into camp next year. Before, he was an unknown commodity that we all hoped would be good and ready but we weren't sure when. Now, at least after that game, we see that he has a lot of good qualities to build on offensively and he's definitely physically ready.

Definitely a pleasant surprise in a game where there was nothing to really root for. Good for him.

His first game will very possibly end up being the best one of his career, and maybe also his worst one.
Read this thread. After all the comments, if this guy doesn't completely dominates next camp and doesn't start racking up the points early in the year, people are going to be so disappointed. Imagine if he ends up with a respectable 30pts in his rookie year?

Reactions: jaffy27

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
His first game will very possibly end up being the best one of his career, and maybe also his worst one.
Read this thread. After all the comments, if this guy doesn't completely dominates next camp and doesn't start racking up the points early in the year, people are going to be so disappointed. Imagine if he ends up with a respectable 30pts in his rookie year?
That would still make him a better player than Clod is a coach.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Lowering the expectations. Not too much. Not too less. Same thing for him. The stars were aligned in his favor that night.

Reactions: Guns n Roses

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Kotkaniemi gave him a big congratulations after the game.

But KK has a lot of pride. I think any success Poehling will have will only push KK to want to "get on his level."
I think Poehlings big game will definitely motivate KK this offseason. He just needs to hit the gym and work non-stop.

Reactions: Guns n Roses

japhi

Jul 7, 2014

I agree with this. He had a career game, but his career, even best case will never look like this game. Blessing and a curse, mostly curse

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

If KK adds 20 lbs of muscle in one offseason, I'd be worried. He,s not actually on a growth spree, unless he comes back 6'5". 20 lbs of muscle is a lot gained in such little time. As a 15-16 year old, it can happen with exercise and a growth spurt at the same time, but at 19? while not impossible, less likely in a healthy way, IMO.

Reactions: Gains

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
If KK adds 20 lbs of muscle in one offseason, I'd be worried. He,s not actually on a growth spree, unless he comes back 6'5". 20 lbs of muscle is a lot gained in such little time. As a 15-16 year old, it can happen with exercise and a growth spurt at the same time, but at 19? while not impossible, less likely in a healthy way, IMO.
The general rule of thumb is 1lbs of lean muscle per month. He's listed at 184lbs, if he can get to 190lbs by September that would be excellent.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
If this wasn't Montreal, it'd be common sense not to anoint a kid who was clearly amped up playing against a Leafs team sitting 4/6 of their regular D (in a game that meant nothing) the next saviour. I fear you might be right, though. People were pretty patient with KK this year though, despite some struggles at times. Hopefully this game doesn't change anything in that regard.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I'm not going crazy on the hype train.

I simply saw a kid who has new age nhl speed, and someone who is built pretty solid already. He's not supposed to be a great goal scorer but he shows that he's at least capable.

I see a kid whose turning into an NHL player much quicker than I anticipated.

Reactions: Shutdown

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

10-20 lbs. Poehling added quite a bit in one off season after his draft year (can't remember how much). If Kotkaniemi adds 10 or 15 lbs, it not a big deal. If he adds closer to 20 lbs, maybe that is a bit too much.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Imagine if he starts in the AHL? :sarcasm:

Lets face it, it was on very good game but it's just too hard to predict how good he ends up being. What I do like is his style of game. He is not shy to go to the net and he does have a shot. Skating is very solid too. What are his weaknesses at this point? maturity? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad