Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 5)

Where is Poehling playing most of this season?

• 4th line Center (ex: Weal-Poehling-Armia)

• Left wing (ex: Poehling-KK-Lehkonen or Poehling-Domi-Shaw)

• 2nd line Center (Domi-Poehling-Shaw)

• Laval

• 3rd line center (move Kotkaniemi to the wing)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Danault didn't have close the value Poehling has

Danault was drafted at the same rank as Poehling and was underrated in two and only two places:
  • Stan Bowman's mind, due to not having hit his potential yet
  • HF posters' evaluations due to being from the Q, to be polite
I was thrilled to hear we got Danault and thought he could replace Eller after having seen him in just a handful of games.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
yeah I mean I remember 6 goal games where Poehling didn't even get a point so I have no idea.

There was that game vs BC early in the year, he was pointless that game. He also had just 2 pts in 2 games vs one of the worst teams in the NCAA (Koberstein's team) but the problem for him was after the WJC's which in the NCAA is where after they have their Christmas break in December the schedule usually gets a good bit tougher as the top teams usually play weaker out of conference teams early in the season,

pre WJC's - 16 games 17 pts
post WJC - 20 games 14 pts

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Clod, is that you?

If you are trying to get into the playoffs, the ACTUAL best thing to do is play your most talented players. Who woulda thunk?

Well considering we scratched and then moved Kotkaniemi to wing despite him being one of our most talented players I would say it's not a guarantee that a guy like Poehling wouldn't get stuck behind some random vet like Thompson.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Max Pacioretty once said something to the effect of: might as well stay in the AHL rather than play on the 4th line in the NHL.

I think the best option for Poehling would be to start with a prominent role in the AHL. Let him learn the position, both ends of the ice.

If he's trending well, bring him up mid-season. If he shows signs of fatigue from the demanding schedule, leave him in the "A". Claude won't play him much anyway if he's not improving during the season.

Otherwise, we're looking at limited minutes, 4th line, moved to wing, press box, etc ...

Reactions: Stive Morgan

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Danault was drafted at the same rank as Poehling and was underrated in two and only two places:
  • Stan Bowman's mind, due to not having hit his potential yet
  • HF posters' evaluations due to being from the Q, to be polite
I was thrilled to hear we got Danault and thought he could replace Eller after having seen him in just a handful of games.
Ok cool. Has nothing to do with the discussion.
Which I'll remind you was that quality 4th liners were in fact easily acquired - thus making the idea of trading a strength for weakness the smarter course of action. Feel free to address that or you can just keep deviating.

Last edited:

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
You practice alot and have alot of off-ice training in the NCAA but he hasn't played much game! Question is, does he go straight up to the offseason or he goes to laval in the last 3 match?

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
So, his 3 goals put him around 505 place in the league with about 400 skaters scoring less than him.

Pretty wild to see how many NHL players don’t score much at all.

Looking forward to seeing him play next year. He may make the team right out of camp.

Reactions: bras meurtris

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Max Pacioretty once said something to the effect of: might as well stay in the AHL rather than play on the 4th line in the NHL.

I think the best option for Poehling would be to start with a prominent role in the AHL. Let him learn the position, both ends of the ice.

If he's trending well, bring him up mid-season. If he shows signs of fatigue from the demanding schedule, leave him in the "A". Claude won't play him much anyway if he's not improving during the season.

Otherwise, we're looking at limited minutes, 4th line, moved to wing, press box, etc ...

Ya, Patches said that as he was getting called up, used on checking 4th lines with grinders, barely played 10min per game. He was smart enough to realize that in the AHL, he's getting way more minutes and opportunities and while getting the VIP service of the big leagues is way more fun, it ain't necessarly better for his development.
So ya, if we're to give crappy 4th line minutes/opportunities to a guy like Poe...might as well keep him in the AHL and let him burn the league.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
He has quite the shot. Quick release and quite heavy.

He was quite implicated in the Toronto game. His positioning without the puck in the offense zone was pretty great in that game.

His ability to fight for the puck in the crease area is Gallagher-esque. Something to look out for next season to see if it will be a staple in his game.

Too bad we only got to see one game of him in action at the pro-level. We have to wait a whole summer before we see it again.

Reactions: brakeyawself

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
It's funny, that even thought he scored 3 goals (4 with the shootout), that's not what impressed me the most about him (don't get me wrong, it was damn impressive he scored those goals). He has the speed, size, and IQ to be an NHLer next year. He didn't look like a rookie at all. He looked very comfortable. I would have come away with a positive impression even had he not scored those goals.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Really hoping Poehling and Kotkaniemi become BFFs and train like crazy this summer, and both show up as beasts in the fall.

That would be awesome. Poehling has already come a long way in terms of maturing physically in the last year. He should be good for another 5-10 pounds of muscle this summer. I can't wait to see what Kotka looks like in September. At that age, it goes pretty fast.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
So, his 3 goals put him around 505 place in the league with about 400 skaters scoring less than him.

Pretty wild to see how many NHL players don’t score much at all.

Looking forward to seeing him play next year. He may make the team right out of camp.
Pretty wild ? I mean have you followed this team at all ? Poehling literally has 25% of the goals our 1C has.

Tourist

Nov 26, 2014
Like most I really like what I've seen from Poehling at the Juniors and in his first game with the Habs. The stars have aligned for him lately but good things tend to happen to players who step on the ice with the mindset to make a difference one way or another.

Reading on the player before watching him I didn't think he was as pro-active and assertive as he has shown in the games I watched. He's awake and focused in all three zones on the ice which is a great quality when you aspire to be a good two-way forward. Couple that with a nice touch around goal and good vision and you've got a very promising prospect. Can't wait to see him at camp next season.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Really hoping Poehling and Kotkaniemi become BFFs and train like crazy this summer, and both show up as beasts in the fall.

They were spotted with Mete going out somewhere on Instagram.

Hopefully theres some good chemistry going on with the boys

Believe this is the pic which I found on Reddit:

3603FDC2-4A7E-4E91-AD83-9E087FB83C97.jpeg

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
It's a team dinner you can see Niemi sitting besides them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad