Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling (Part 5)

Where is Poehling playing most of this season?

• 4th line Center (ex: Weal-Poehling-Armia)

• Left wing (ex: Poehling-KK-Lehkonen or Poehling-Domi-Shaw)

• 2nd line Center (Domi-Poehling-Shaw)

• Laval

• 3rd line center (move Kotkaniemi to the wing)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gains

Apr 29, 2012
Montreal
Why trade Danault ? He's the perfect 3rd line center, can play 2C in case of injuries.

At best we have a C line of Kotkaniemi - Poehling - Danault with Domi on the wings.

Reactions: dralaf and Vachon23

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I've been saying all year I felt he would make the Habs next year and that he's a lock to be an NHLer but I wouldn't put too much into one game at the end of the season against a team that had nothing to play for on the road. That 3rd goal was nice and at first I was yelling at my TV when f***ing Julien put Weal out there in the SO. I thought what a f***ing asshole, you should have put Poehling in but glad he was able to get the chance as the 4th shooter and him scoring was funny as hell. He must be on cloud 9 after that game.

I've said in the past the some were being too hard on his shot but I never expected him to be much of a goal scorer. That said it shows how hard it can be to judge NCAA players. I didn't think Butcher would do much in the NHL due to his skating, would not have expected Tkachuk to score over 20 in his first season after not looking that good in the few games I saw him vs Primeau. On the other hand Kristo putting up over 50 points, being likely the 2nd best player in the NCAA that year behind Johnny Hockey and he never made it out of the AHL. So it goes to show you just don't know how these kids are going to fare.

I was not very impressed with Poehling's play this year at SCSU, I didn't like how he was used but his production was very disappointing but still don't get why they had to break up his line as he always played with Jackson as his LW and they did so well together. It just didn't make sense to me to break up a duo that played together so much and had a lot of success.

Now we'll see what happens next year, I would be surprised if he's not on the Habs to start the year but if not he will very likely play games at some point. He just has that NHL ready game to go with NHL skating, speed, size, and with his two way play CJ will be a fan for sure.

Reactions: Redux91

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I don't know about "certainly more ready than Kotkaniemi"s statement. Kotkaniemi was flying on the ice in his first few weeks at the beginning of the year. What happened later? Maybe lost of confidence, maybe fatigue. Let's hope it's the latter.
Physically and a maturity to his game is what I was referring to, he did not look like a kid trying to survive out there.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
When it matters most, the matchups happen. Playoffs and end of games. Every team needs a guy they can rely on like that.

It always matters. Nobody is making suboptimal decisions on purpose. The game of hockey just happens to be random enough that coaches don't have all that much control over who plays against whom. However, coaches have absolute control over who plays with whom. There has never been an analysis that showed that QoC mattered more than QoT.

If Poehling/KK can do more with Danault's wingers, and I think they will be able to quite soon, Danault's gotta go.

Reactions: larrypacman8167

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Slightly overrated maybe, as everyone eventually plays everyone on the fly, but not a MYTH lol

Soooooooo overrated. Nobody plays in the super NHL. We all laughed at Sens fans when they made the argument for Karlsson. Let's not make the same mistake for Danault of all players.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
It always matters. Nobody is making suboptimal decisions on purpose. The game of hockey just happens to be random enough that coaches don't have all that much control over who plays against whom. However, coaches have absolute control over who plays with whom. There has never been an analysis that showed that QoC mattered more than QoT.

If Poehling/KK can do more with Danault's wingers, and I think they will be able to quite soon, Danault's gotta go.
I definitely am on board with giving the kids Tatar and Gally to be clear. But I want to keep Danault, you can still play him in a defensive role with Byron and Shaw for example.

Reactions: Gains and Redux91

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
You realize Danault is getting Selke consideration, right?
Voters basically choose the best defensive forward who plays on the top line of a playoff caliber team. But if the point of the award is really to reward the forward who has the highest defensive impact on his team, data actually points to Kotkaniemi as part of the conversation.

If his development goes accordingly, Kotkaniemi will become better than Danault defensively, you can quote me on that. He might actually be already.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Voters basically choose the best defensive forward who plays on the top line of a playoff caliber team. But if the point of the award is really to reward the forward who has the highest defensive impact on his team, data actually points to Kotkaniemi as part of the conversation.

Kotkaniemi will develop to be better than Danault defensively, you can quote me on that.
I’ve seen the data and it’s an absolute joke. Kotkaniemi played the easiest minutes of any center on this team BY FAR.

Reactions: Vachon23

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I definitely am on board with giving the kids Tatar and Gally to be clear. But I want to keep Danault, you can still play him in a defensive roll with Byron and Shaw for example.

He'd do fine in that role. But I'd rather make all these arguments you're making about Danault to some Pejorative Slur GM for an overpayment. And they'd pay it.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
He'd do fine in that role. But I'd rather make all these arguments you're making about Danault to some ****** GM for an overpayment. And they'd pay it.
He has value for a reason, and that reason is he’s good. And what he brings to the table is something we’d need if we lost him.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I'll do you one better, trade Drouin, sign the winger and cash in on a position of strength to maximize your assets.
It’s way too early to call it a position of strength that we can deal from. And you guys do realize that if we traded Danault, we’d then have to lean on Kotkaniemi defensively? And that that could stymie his offensive development?

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
The good thing is that C-Line seems unfixable for 25 years, fixing the left D or finding a scoring winger should be alot easier........hopefully!!!!!
Luckily, wingers and LD are plentiful therefore they are cheaper and easier to acquire

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
It’s way too early to call it a position of strength that we can deal from. And you guys do realize that if we traded Danault, we’d then have to lean on Kotkaniemi defensively? And that that could stymie his offensive development?
No one argued otherwise. The scenario suggested Kotkaniemi and Poehling had developed accordingly and even exceeded expectations in Poehling's case.
By the time Kotkaniemi and Poehling achieved 1a and 1b/2a levels, again assuming they did, then Kotkaniemi's offensive development wouldn't of been stymied, obviously. We're talking somewhere down the line, not next December.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Can't write this stuff. Combined with his WJC performance. Poehling no doubt a major piece for us next year.

I was waiting for something to reinforce what he did at the WJC and even though it is just one game, I think this is like part of a period of confirmation.

He looked much better at the WJC than one might have thought he would having read prospect reports and articles about him leading up to the tournament. Even following the tournament it didn't seem to really boost expectations for most like it has for some other players in the past. Which is fair given that players with clearly top end offensive skills like Tolvanen, Zadina, Necas etc... underperformed this go around. Poehling really stepped up though and I think even doing well in 1 WJC series is a very good sign. I would still of course rate those above players higher than Poehling for offense, but I don't think Poeling is as far behind as many might think. Just from my opinion, of those players are 70 - 100 point players as far as potential than Poehling is 60 - 82 point potential from what I can tell. That's a fair bump from his previous estimates I think and is still in that high end 2C to very good 1C range. He just probably doesn't have that elite top end that would get him past PPG in his best years.

He can certainly shoot and control the puck. His passing is at least good enough to get him 40+ assists any given year. If he was playing as 1C at least.

Obviously he still has a long way to go to actually reach his potential. But I think that potential is fairly high.

Reactions: Redux91

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I know that but it seems like a wasted year don't you think? Poehling could have been a 15-20 goal scorer this year and I don't think it's a stretch to say that. I know it was just one game but he looked like a veteran player and certainly more ready than Kotkaniemi.

would we have had to protect him then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad