Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Its funny but in the GDT theres comments that his wingers need to finish nuges passes. As if that's the problem.

Right now even RNH's passing is horrible. Twice he overshoots Eberle on wide open plays. Misses Yak by a mile on another play and fails to see him on others.

but the in the air pass back to the point on the PP takes the cake. That was in the 3rd period. :amazed: What is Nuge even thinking there?

Couldn't even bag a goal today in an empty net with puck sitting on his stick twice. Holy crappers.

He played generally well defensively but offensively he's the Belanger triangle right now.

2 second assists in last 14GP. wowsa

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Its funny but in the GDT theres comments that his wingers need to finish nuges passes. As if that's the problem.

Right now even RNH's passing is horrible. Twice he overshoots Eberle on wide open plays. Misses Yak by a mile on another play and fails to see him on others.

but the in the air pass back to the point on the PP takes the cake. That was in the 3rd period. :amazed:

Couldn't even bag a goal today in an empty net with puck sitting on his stick twice. Holy crappers.

He played generally well defensively but offensively he's the Belanger triangle right now.

2 second assists in last 14GP. wowsa

That's what happens when you destroy a kid's confidence. RNH is a player that plays off instinct, I think Eakins' system is too much about thinking and it's basically ground his game to a halt.

He was scoring at the highest rate this league has seen as a rookie since Malkin, since that shoulder injury it's been a steady decline downhill.

We're going to suck for another 2-3 years with this center group. Maybe we'll land Reinhart or Bennett but even that's probably not happening this year and neither of those guys screams elite either.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
That's what happens when you destroy a kid's confidence.

He was scoring at the highest rate this league has seen as a rookie since Malkin, since that shoulder injury it's been a steady decline downhill.

We're going to suck for another 2-3 years with this center group.

I'm trying to be optimistic. But right now Lander is looking like a better option.

Nuge right now is an enigma in offensive end. Just getting the wrong reads constantly and not making plays. No flow, totally out of sync with wingers and not knowing whats going on out there.

I don't discount the confidence thing. Nuge right now is clearly rattled and its almost like a block at this point. he gets in offensive end and expects to screw up.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Sheltered minutes, offensive zone starts, 1st PP times, with a capable PP. Build that confidence back up.

The single biggest clue towards his slump is the correlation between RNH's lack of production and our abysmal PP. Not saying one causes the other, but there must be a relationship there.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm trying to be optimistic. But right now Lander is looking like a better option.

Nuge right now is an enigma in offensive end. Just getting the wrong reads constantly and not making plays. No flow, totally out of sync with wingers and not knowing whats going on out there.

I don't discount the confidence thing. Nuge right now is clearly rattled and its almost like a block at this point. he gets in offensive end and expects to screw up.

As a rookie I would marvel at his play because he made the right play almost every time in the offensive zone. Such a smart player.

What a sad organization. Calgary is gonna overtake our rebuild at this rate.

We tanked at a pretty crappy time too unfortunately. Three consecutive no.1 picks, six top 10 picks in seven years, and still no no.1 center, lol. Even the Islanders have a bonafied no.1 C to build around.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It didn't help that at the beginning of the year he was putting up 25 minutes a night. I'm no Eakins basher but I never liked how he was playing the kids early on.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
That's what happens when you destroy a kid's confidence. RNH is a player that plays off instinct, I think Eakins' system is too much about thinking and it's basically ground his game to a halt.

We're going to suck for another 2-3 years with this center group. Maybe we'll land Reinhart or Bennett but even that's probably not happening this year and neither of those guys screams elite either.

I agree with a lot of what you say. Eakins is an AHL motivator type coach. A my way or the hwy type coach who, as the season has gone on, is making it quite apparent he doesnt have the ability to mesh all the different skill sets, personalities, etc.

Coaching is much more than a white board and an attitude. It's one thing if you're Scotty Bowman and people are going to just do what you say. There's a respect factor for those coaches that Eakins just doesnt have.

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
So i was just reading this: http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2014/03/17/whats-wrong-with-edmonton-oilers-it-starts-with-the-coach-says-nhl-insider-button/ and it caught my eye that RNH has put on 9 pounds this season following Eakins' fitness routine religiously.

Usually its hard for players to on weight during the season. I wonder if he's struggling a bit with the adjustment..? I dont know

Wow, good catch. I can't imagine how hard RNH would have to work to add 9 pounds of (presumably) muscle while playing 20+ minutes a night as a 21 year old with a slight build.

No wonder the kid looks gassed half the time. That's nuts.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
So i was just reading this: http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2014/03/17/whats-wrong-with-edmonton-oilers-it-starts-with-the-coach-says-nhl-insider-button/ and it caught my eye that RNH has put on 9 pounds this season following Eakins' fitness routine religiously.

Usually its hard for players to on weight during the season. I wonder if he's struggling a bit with the adjustment..? I dont know

Its the same info that was quoted earlier and debunked. Plus that Eakins work out regimen is anything but a gain weight regimen. tbh it sounds like more Stauffer bs. Theres no corroboration for this from any other source.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
If we're talking Occams Razor, I'd say he isn't that good against NHL sized talent and this is what he is.

Yet last year he was defensively quite great against NHL sized talent and despite the lack of a shoulder his production wasn't horrendous. Occams Razor is Eakins it seems.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Its the same info that was quoted earlier and debunked. Plus that Eakins work out regimen is anything but a gain weight regimen. tbh it sounds like more Stauffer bs. Theres no corroboration for this from any other source.

and lets be honest stauffer couldnt tell you the difference between a sit up and 7-up. he probably doesnt even know what the inside of a gym looks like.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011

Do you know what Eakins work out regimen actually? Honest question, haven't seen anything legit on it. I konw his own work out regimen is about long distance and so on, which wouldn't be beneficial if you're gaining weight, but I have no clue what it is for the team, it certainly isn't the same as his own.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Do you know what Eakins work out regimen actually? Honest question, haven't seen anything legit on it. I konw his own work out regimen is about long distance and so on, which wouldn't be beneficial if you're gaining weight, but I have no clue what it is for the team, it certainly isn't the same as his own.

More to the point the suggestion being that Stauffer as a source wouldn't know what a workout regimen is if it bit him in the ass.

It just seems a really odd Stauffer type of comment in respect that nobody else has mentioned or cited this.

Also, when speaking of Eakins workout regime he has at many times encouraged the players to take interest in building endurance. With this not often being associated with weight gain.

I dunno, it seems off.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Did you guys hear Button's interview with Stauffer on Oilers now this past Friday? Basically, Stauffer said that RNH has actually put on 9-10 lb of muscle during the season and his body fat is way down, due to him following Dallas Eakins' fitness plan for him. Button said that was most likely the reason RNH was struggling, and that Eakins was not a strength and conditioning coach so he shouldn't try to be one. He said that what made RNH so good was his quickness and agility. 190lbs of muscle just means a slower RNH.

He said that RNH needs to get stronger without adding a ton of weight, ESPECIALLY over sucha short period of time (10lbs of muscle in a few months is huge, especially considering how much hockey he's playing.) He also said that the loss in body fat for RNH just means a loss in energy. He had a lot of negative things to say about Eakins, but in terms of RNH's play, he essentially said that Eakins' fitness plan for RNH is why RNH is struggling so much on the ice.

The thing is nuge looks faster to me and more agile then he did his rookie season. Problem is he isn't making good passes. I don't know what the deal with Nuge is, all I can say is that from my vantage point he just isn't making those majic passes he did his rookie year, he isn't finding the open holes. It seems to be mental, not physical at all.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Did you guys hear Button's interview with Stauffer on Oilers now this past Friday? Basically, Stauffer said that RNH has actually put on 9-10 lb of muscle during the season and his body fat is way down, due to him following Dallas Eakins' fitness plan for him. Button said that was most likely the reason RNH was struggling, and that Eakins was not a strength and conditioning coach so he shouldn't try to be one. He said that what made RNH so good was his quickness and agility. 190lbs of muscle just means a slower RNH.

He said that RNH needs to get stronger without adding a ton of weight, ESPECIALLY over sucha short period of time (10lbs of muscle in a few months is huge, especially considering how much hockey he's playing.) He also said that the loss in body fat for RNH just means a loss in energy. He had a lot of negative things to say about Eakins, but in terms of RNH's play, he essentially said that Eakins' fitness plan for RNH is why RNH is struggling so much on the ice.

The irony here is that at the same time Button's ripping on Eakins being a pretend strength & conditioning coach, Button is guilty of doing the exact same thing. When the heck did Button gain any more credibility to speak on such matters?

And for my money, if I had to choose between them to get solid advice on diet and fitness, I'm not sure I'd pick Button as someone to hang my hat on.

He should just stick with his "draft guru" gig, the stretch marks start to show when he goes outside that comfort zone. Sorry, never been a big fan of him. More mouth than brains, IMO.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
More to the point the suggestion being that Stauffer as a source wouldn't know what a workout regimen is if it bit him in the ass.

It just seems a really odd Stauffer type of comment in respect that nobody else has mentioned or cited this.

Also, when speaking of Eakins workout regime he has at many times encouraged the players to take interest in building endurance. With this not often being associated with weight gain.

I dunno, it seems off.

Yeah, a lot of talk of being able to play massive minutes early on, he's toned it down though as the losses piled up to focus on making excuses and blaming individual players and former coaches.

He might, if we give him the benefit of the doubt, be talking hockey endurance which includes getting stronger and as a result gaining weight. Nicklas Lidström focused a lot on endurance in his training, which didn't mean him becoming a marathon runner but instead stronger without adding the wrong kind of muscles. Doubt Eakins is as knowledgeable though.

Kulleroinen*

Another complacent canadian kid. We need to get rid of these boys(RNH&Eberle), they will not help us win anything.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
He's 20. He has shown the capacity to play in this league. Giving up on him is way premature.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad