Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
I posted this in another thread but felt that it was worth keeping in here since I had to do some digging.

Without Hall in the lineup:

RNH's 1st stretch 11/4/14-11/13/14
6gp. 2-4-6 -1 22sog.

RNH's 2nd stretch 1/25/15-1/31/15
4gp. 0-3-3 Ev 9sog.

RNH's 3rd stretch 2/4/15-3/18/15
19gp. 8-11-19 -4 54sog.

With Hall returning on 3/21, he assisted on RNH's GWG but played less ES minutes than Pouliot so I'm assuming that Pouliot was still with the RNH line at ES.

RNH 3/21/15-4/2/15 (IIRC he got his ankle hurt against Colorado so either the 3/25 or 3/30 game)
7gp. 4-2-6 -1 18sog.

So when RNH was not playing with Hall:

36gp. 14-20-34 -6 103sog.

Prorated to a full season: 32-46-78 -14 235sog.

Tied for 3rd in center scoring. Its hard to value pro rating totals but when you see numbers like this it makes me laugh when other teams fans **** on Pouliot so much.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Just goes to show we really shouldn't break up the Pouliot - Nuge - Eberle line

I agree. The line cycles well, Pouliot goes to the hard areas and has quality finish, and by putting Hall elsewhere it lets Nuge carry the puck more. I feel like Pouliot often gets forgotten about on that line by other teams when they are busy trying to contain Nuge and Ebs.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Yeah, I would definitely keep RNH with Poo and Ebs
Wouldn't mind seeing something like this for the first 9 games next season

Pouliot/RNH/Eberle
Hall/McDavid/Ward
Draisaitl/Lander/Yakupov
Wagon Line

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I agree. The line cycles well, Pouliot goes to the hard areas and has quality finish, and by putting Hall elsewhere it lets Nuge carry the puck more. I feel like Pouliot often gets forgotten about on that line by other teams when they are busy trying to contain Nuge and Ebs.

IMO Pouliot is an underrated goal scorer. He has a rocket of a shot and he plays a 2 way game like RNH does so that allows Eberle to do his thing and create offense. IMO it is a very well balanced line. The only reason that I'd break it up is if we need Pouliot to cover for McDavid.

oilz89*

Pouliot/RNH/Eberle
Hall/McDavid/Ward
Draisaitl/Lander/Yakupov
Wagon Line

That's pretty great. Although I think I'd rather have a veteran winger with Lander and Yak to start out. Let Draisaitl play a bit in the AHL first

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton

Pouliot/RNH/Eberle
Hall/McDavid/Ward
Draisaitl/Lander/Yakupov
Wagon Line

Pouliot-RNH-Eberle half of top comps
Hall-McDavid-Yak Easy comp/sheltered
Draisaitl-Lander-Ward/Frolik/Eriksson Other half of top comp
Wagon Heavy dzone starts and #1 pk team

All 3 lines can score, you have 2 lines that can manage top lines so RNHs line can have time away from hard match ups, with yak on the 3rd line you cant do that. This line up other teams have to pick their poison and there really isnt a right answer between those 2 top lines.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

All 3 lines can score, you have 2 lines that can manage top lines so RNHs line can have time away from hard match ups, with yak on the 3rd line you cant do that. This line up other teams have to pick their poison and there really isnt a right answer between those 2 top lines.

That lineup would give other teams fits. Will be exciting to see what the lines will be come opening day :naughty:

LockDown21

May 24, 2015

totally agree. I'd vote you in as coach.:laugh:

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
There's no way any line with Hall on it is an easy competition/sheltered line. Especially on the road. I don't think you need to shelter McDavid that much either. Hall played top comp his first year and did fine, McDavid is supposed to be better.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
There's no way any line with Hall on it is an easy competition/sheltered line. Especially on the road. I don't think you need to shelter McDavid that much either. Hall played top comp his first year and did fine, McDavid is supposed to be better.

Hall and Eberle had a 2 way center between them, who will be the defensive presence on that line?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Draistail - Lander - Yakupov is a terrifying thought. Not in a good way either.

Not to sure. Give them easy soft minutes and they could excel.

McDavid shouldnt be forced to play top line duties, but he can handle 2nd line duties next season

Hall-Mcdavid-Vet

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

Did fine? The Oilers finished dead last. Also playing center is harder than wing. I think it's an abvious decision to go with pairs, Hall-McDavid and Nuge-Eberle. Obviously Pouliot has looked really good next to Nuge-Eberle so i'd put him there too. Yakupov with Hall-McDavid might be pretty darn interesting as well. Young players can have individual success in situations like that but in the NHL it's all about team success and teenagers are just too inconsistent and error prone to be the guys you lean on. McDavid is obviously an exception and thankfully for us the forwards should be entering their prime in terms of two way effectiveness.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Did fine? The Oilers finished dead last. Also playing center is harder than wing. I think it's an abvious decision to go with pairs, Hall-McDavid and Nuge-Eberle. Obviously Pouliot has looked really good next to Nuge-Eberle so i'd put him there too. Yakupov with Hall-McDavid might be pretty darn interesting as well. Young players can have individual success in situations like that but in the NHL it's all about team success and teenagers are just too inconsistent and error prone to be the guys you lean on. McDavid is obviously an exception and thankfully for us the forwards should be entering their prime in terms of two way effectiveness.
Hall did fine. The team did not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->