Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

Crobby

Sep 14, 2009
He was SO good in his rookie year, it was unreal. His passes were crisp and tape to tape, his edge work was amazing, his vision unreal.

He is just a shadow of his rookie self, I really don't get it.

He can't make passes, can't shoot, seems to have lost his vision, isn't using his edges as effectively. He has massively regressed.

Thought I just stumbled into a Gagner thread from a couple years back

That Oilers development man...

:(

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Or another vocal guy like Scrivens telling players what they should be doing in ownzone. I figure a d with half a sense that would be listened to would help compensate for Eakins knowledge of NHL hockey coverage.

Eakins seems like a natural candidate for CBC. I can see it now.

This one post right here states a huge underlining problem with the Oilers. Scrivens, our starting goaltender. Has to control the D traffic in our zone. Not the natural born leader Ference, not our egotistical headstrong rookie coach. Our starting goaltender. So essentially he has to worry about stopping pucks, and controlling the pace in our own zone. Laughable.

In the bolded, as much as I hate Eakins (and I do, I hae since he called Kadri out). I'd still watch him on CBC before the likes of Stock, Healy, Kypreos, those other two guys who carry Kypreos. Honestly, I'd love to see guys like Gord Miller on the hotstove. People who have knowledge of both the game and the buisness behind it

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
He was SO good in his rookie year, it was unreal. His passes were crisp and tape to tape, his edge work was amazing, his vision unreal.

He is just a shadow of his rookie self, I really don't get it.

He can't make passes, can't shoot, seems to have lost his vision, isn't using his edges as effectively. He has massively regressed.

I would have thought it was because he got the big contract (though that might be it) but the same has gone for YaKupov (though he also got a decent pay).

So
  • Gagner has an excuse and a good one
  • Dubnyk had no excuse and really regressed (he wasn't top notch before but this year...)
  • Hall has improved but takes some obvious shifts off. A lazy bull is still a bull to be stopped.
  • Eberle, same as Hall except he relied on effort and talent and at least his effort has dropped off a bit
  • Rnh regressed but the beginning of the season had an excuse. Same effort level as hall and Eberle
  • Yak improved immensely in his defensive ways but somehow completely forgot his main strengths
  • Jones top game has been gone since his eye injury. Too bad, had a good future. Big differnce. One can only hope the same effects are messing him up as the others.
Reasons in order of effect
  • Money and fame
  • Dubnyk
  • Horcoff cost too much money and was ran out of town. I think this affected all the young uns
  • Eakins (I put this last because of the first two here the players wouldn't play his game until recently)
If they get their sheet together and get used to having money and being the most famous people in town we should do quite well. They are finally starting to listen to the coach I think.

Oh, I forgot. STOP GIVING THE PUCK AWAY!!!

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I think Nuge and Eberle have the same faults.

Both are undersized for the NHL and need to be at the very top of their game to succeed.

Both have big fat contracts and not enough motivation.

Both are dealing with too many coaches in too little time.

Both are dealing with Eakins who I think has completely failed at developing our young super stars at a rather critical point in their careers. I actually almost hope I am wrong about Eakins and the kids finally pick up what he is trying to lay down but I just don't see it. I think Eakins is a dud. The only people playing well for him are the ones that had good coaches in previous NHL teams.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Bump basically a year later from the start of the thread originally.

No points in his last 3. On pace for 57 points on the season. Had 56 last year.

This is the same player as last year, who was the same player the year before who was worse than his rookie year.

There's been not a single iota of development out of this player since his rookie season. He had his nice few games where he dominated and hasn't been up to much since.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

This is the same player as last year, who was the same player the year before who was worse than his rookie year.

There's been not a single iota of development out of this player since his rookie season. He had his nice few games where he dominated and hasn't been up to much since.

Yes RNH is the reason that this team is sucking right now. How about an avatar bet that RNH tops 55 points this year since you said that he'd never top that mark? If you think that he hasn't shown improvement then you need to start paying attention to the games.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013

Hmm when he is hot you disappear when he is cold boom keep posting these he will only ever be a 55 point player ever because you will join the ranks of infamy to the likes of Hemsky 83 and the Famous Hall is a glorified 3rd line winger. and I have bookmarked both to remind you careers do not peak at 21. Alot wrong with team RNH is one of the few bright spots so nobody is buying your I told you so bs .

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
Yes RNH is the reason that this team is sucking right now. How about an avatar bet that RNH tops 55 points this year since you said that he'd never top that mark? If you think that he hasn't shown improvement then you need to start paying attention to the games.
He wants to join Hemsky 83 as having one of the most stupid posts ever on a player.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Sure whatever you want I'll take your bet. Like I care about an avatar.

Maybe RNH will get his 57 or 58 points this year and you can bump this thread up and trumpet how right you were only to completely miss the point that this player has been a massive disappointment since his rookie season.

In the past he had injury problems and being too small as an excuse. Well he's been healthy for over a year now and had an entire summer to train and put on weight.

Yet shockingly he isn't producing anymore. You can tell me he's better. I'll believe it when he proves it with some god damned points.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
While those posts are a bit of a hyperbole, I think the point Spawn is trying to get across is that RNH needs to be better if this team wants to succeed. He's not wrong about that.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Hmm when he is hot you disappear when he is cold boom keep posting these he will only ever be a 55 point player ever because you will join the ranks of infamy to the likes of Hemsky 83 and the Famous Hall is a glorified 3rd line winger. and I have bookmarked both to remind you careers do not peak at 21. Alot wrong with team RNH is one of the few bright spots so nobody is buying your I told you so bs .

I gave him credit when he was playing well. In fact I believe I said that if he could maintain that consistency we could have a star on our hands. But nope. He's disappeared like normal.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
While those posts are a bit of a hyperbole, I think the point Spawn is trying to get across is that RNH needs to be better if this team wants to succeed. He's not wrong about that.
I just find in here certain posters will hate on one player and use every chance they can get to **** on that player let it be a bad pass mini slump whatever. Eberle has his share Schultz people just like to hate. Where was Spawn posts when he was beastly without Hall splitting d ened to end rushes other good plays that his linemates could not finish oh yea dead silent waiting for a 3 game scoreless streak which all players go thru then here he is pounding his chest . :help:

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
Lol. If you say so champ. You go right on ahead feeling happy with the (non)development of our star players.
The non development lays on who develops them you new to hockey ? You must of thought Johansen was busting pretty bad for Blue Jackets you know high draft pick produces nothing first few seasons. :shakehead

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The non development lays on who develops them you new to hockey ? You must of thought Johansen was busting pretty bad for Blue Jackets you know high draft pick produces nothing first few seasons. :shakehead

Regardless of whose fault it is (largely on the hands of the management and coaching staff) it doesn't change the player he is today. Which is an okay top line center, or very good second line center.

Not good enough from a first overall pick.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I just find in here certain posters will hate on one player and use every chance they can get to **** on that player let it be a bad pass mini slump whatever. Eberle has his share Schultz people just like to hate. Where was Spawn posts when he was beastly without Hall splitting d ened to end rushes other good plays that his linemates could not finish oh yea dead silent waiting for a 3 game scoreless streak which all players go thru then here he is pounding his chest . :help:

The players don't seem to get **** on when they win. How about they give a **** out there and maybe they wont get called out for sucking donkey balls.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
Regardless of whose fault it is (largely on the hands of the management and coaching staff) it doesn't change the player he is today. Which is an okay top line center, or very good second line center.

Not good enough from a first overall pick.
Who is the leading scorer from 2011 draft I guess no one is worthy of a top line billing from that draft http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2011e.html And answer my ? Did you think Johansen had 1st C quality's after his first couple of years. Keep on hating because you can.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
The players don't seem to get **** on when they win. How about they give a **** out there and maybe they wont get called out for sucking donkey balls.
I have no problems with players being called out when they play like ****. I just see certain posters having campaigns of hate against certain players and they make it their task to attack them at every chance they get deserved or not. Very immature imo.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Here you go btw.
Rangers PGT:
Great game tonight. Full 60 minutes, controlled the play. Top line was incredible. Nuge was dominant. He plays like that on a nightly basis and he can be a star.

Flyers PGT:
It was a great goal all around. Wasn't just the speed he showed, he also outmuscled Rinaldo(?) on the way there. That was a goal scorers goal. Very impressive.

I am fully willing to give Nuge credit when he has a great game or makes a great play. The thing I think some people have difficult grasping is that I want RNH to succeed. I want him to be the superstar that he shows those rare glimpses of. Desperately I do. I would ****ing love it if Nuge became a 80 point player and I looked like a complete idiot.

But I'm pretty tired of it being sacrilege to say a bad word against the player when he just isn't the player that this team needs him to be.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Here you go btw.
Rangers PGT:

Flyers PGT:

I am fully willing to give Nuge credit when he has a great game or makes a great play. The thing I think some people have difficult grasping is that I want RNH to succeed. I want him to be the superstar that he shows those rare glimpses of. Desperately I do. I would ****ing love it if Nuge became a 80 point player and I looked like a complete idiot.

But I'm pretty tired of it being sacrilege to say a bad word against the player when he just isn't the player that this team needs him to be.

Now you know how I fell about Nurse. And he hasn't even proved 1/100th of what RNH has.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Who is the leading scorer from 2011 draft I guess no one is worthy of a top line billing from that draft http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2011e.html And answer my ? Did you think Johansen had 1st C quality's after his first couple of years. Keep on hating because you can.

Honestly it doesn't look like anyone from that draft class is really worthy of a #1 pick. I'm not saying he was the wrong pick. It just sucks that we got the first overall pick in such an underwhelming year.

As for Johansen... you know what. I probably did question him. But there is a difference between the two players here. One, Johansen didn't get nearly the opportunity playing with offensive players in offensive situations. Two, these players broke into the league at the same time. Johansen put up 33 goals last year and 63 points. He's got 23 points in 19 games this year. Nuge isn't even close.

And we're not talking about a player after his first couple of years. We're talking about a player in his 4th season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad