Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
unfortunately, this kid has 42 million reasons to not give a damn anymore.

apperantly that is why he has worked his ass off all season and put on 10 pounds. Nuge's work ethic should not be in question. If anything I think that might be the problem. He is so focused on being a complete all around player, I think he isn't trusting his offensive instincts enough.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
apperantly that is why he has worked his ass off all season and put on 10 pounds. Nuge's work ethic should not be in question. If anything I think that might be the problem. He is so focused on being a complete all around player, I think he isn't trusting his offensive instincts enough.

Somehow by trying to be a complete all around player he is worse in essentially ever facet as he was in his rookie year and that includes defensively.

To be honest I think peoples expectations are too low for these #1 picks. (With the exception of Hall which is funny because he's the only one who is obviously worth the draft spot). We should be expecting players like Tavares and Stamkos and Kane. You draft a forward first overall you should get a superstar.

It is a huge red flag that RNH is struggling to be even a reliable 1st liner.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Somehow by trying to be a complete all around player he is worse in essentially ever facet as he was in his rookie year and that includes defensively.

To be honest I think peoples expectations are too low for these #1 picks. (With the exception of Hall which is funny because he's the only one who is obviously worth the draft spot). We should be expecting players like Tavares and Stamkos and Kane. You draft a forward first overall you should get a superstar.

Nuge, like a lot of the players, are viewed having some hesitation, confusion, that is ongoing about where they should be on the ice. You're not getting clean reads and instead players struggling in realtime processing what they would normally do with what they have been told to do. With the two differing perhaps too much and resulting in players not only reacting to their own confusion but everybody elses. So you see players continually resetting where they should be on the ice and usually one or two moments behind what is actually occurring.

Or in short terms the Chinese fire drills we've been witnessing for much of the year.

Its painful for Nuge, and everybody that a system is 67 games in and still being a work in progress.

The funny thing is the players most inclined to play the way they know, for instance new players, or Hall, Eberle or Smyth, are having the most success. Almost oblivious to whatever coaching is going on..

Players like Nuge, Gagner, Ference that are most inclined to listen to what any coach would say have been deep-sixed the worst.

When the "yesman" crowd looks as bad at this its just another indication of what a disaster coaching has been.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Nuge, like a lot of the players, are viewed having some hesitation, confusion, that is ongoing about where they should be on the ice. You're not getting clean reads and instead players struggling in realtime processing what they would normally do with what they have been told to do. With the two differing perhaps too much and resulting in players not only reacting to their own confusion but everybody elses. So you see players continually resetting where they should be on the ice and usually one or two moments behind what is actually occurring.

Or in short terms the Chinese fire drills we've been witnessing for much of the year.

Its painful for Nuge, and everybody that a system is 67 games in and still being a work in progress.

The funny thing is the players most inclined to play the way they know, for instance new players, or Hall, Eberle or Smyth, are having the most success. Almost oblivious to whatever coaching is going on..

Players like Nuge, Gagner, Ference that are most inclined to listen to what any coach would say have been deep-sixed the worst.

When the "yesman" crowd looks as bad at this its just another indication of what a disaster coaching has been.

Coaching has been garbage, IMO Hall hasn't been any better this season than last and of the returning players NONE of them have had a better year this season besides RNH and that's simply because he had a bum shoulder all of last season. I really hope that if this is the case at the start of next season that Eakins leash is very, VERY short.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Coaching has been garbage, IMO Hall hasn't been any better this season than last and of the returning players NONE of them have had a better year this season besides RNH and that's simply because he had a bum shoulder all of last season. I really hope that if this is the case at the start of next season that Eakins leash is very, VERY short.

I can envision the very short "leash" that the bad part of me would like to see in this regard but probably better I don't finish stating it..:amazed::eek::scared:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I can envision the very short "leash" that the bad part of me would like to see in this regard but probably better I don't finish stating it..:amazed::eek::scared:

I hope that we can add more Matt Hendricks types to the club, guy is a leader on and off the ice it seems. Hopefully that can help offset some of the damage being done by Eakins coaching.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I hope that we can add more Matt Hendricks types to the club, guy is a leader on and off the ice it seems. Hopefully that can help offset some of the damage being done by Eakins coaching.

Or another vocal guy like Scrivens telling players what they should be doing in ownzone. I figure a d with half a sense that would be listened to would help compensate for Eakins knowledge of NHL hockey coverage.

Eakins seems like a natural candidate for CBC. I can see it now.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Or another vocal guy like Scrivens telling players what they should be doing in ownzone. I figure a d with half a sense that would be listened to would help compensate for Eakins knowledge of NHL hockey coverage.

Eakins seems like a natural candidate for CBC. I can see it now.

Hendricks, Scrivens and Fasth were all solid moves for sure. It'd be nice if our Captain could show some passion and leadership out there every now and then.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Hendricks, Scrivens and Fasth were all solid moves for sure. It'd be nice if our Captain could show some passion and leadership out there every now and then.

As I mentioned Ference is a company yes man. So he actually listens closely to Eakins. Which would be his first mistake.

Its really funny to see Gordon on this club. Real conflicted. Solid team guy, wants to be ever the good soldier, but can't quite get over that this is nothing like Dave Tippet instruction.

This is like the Mensa kid in gradeschool that knows teacher is an idiot..

The expressions on Gordon's face sometimes on the bench, oh priceless.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I wonder if Hendricks is taking RNH under his wing and coaching him a bit. Hendricks seems like the kind of guy that would do it.

I'm not sure how anyone can hate Hendricks and what he's brought.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I wonder if Hendricks is taking RNH under his wing and coaching him a bit. Hendricks seems like the kind of guy that would do it.

I'm not sure how anyone can hate Hendricks and what he's brought.

Hendricks is awesome. just what you want a veteran presence to be.

Only negative is not getting him years earlier instead of some meathead like Jones.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I worry that he'll soon be immersed in the toxicity that is the Oilers dressing room...

I hope not. It seems like players have rallied around him and for the most part what I see is guys like Smyth, Yak, Gagner, Gordon, Perron, Gaz, Jones, Joensuu, Petry.

He's got a lot of guys paying attention and playing differently.

I'll never forget a tired looking Smyth on the bench in another 4-1 losing game looking demoralized, Hendricks scores, pumps up the bench, and Smyth is just looking on smiling. Smyth tries to be that positivity panda and he even lost his lucky charms. We came back in that game.

So I know what you're saying. But hopefully the tide is enough that it takes over the dressingroom.

This club has been different since Hendricks has been here.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I hope not. It seems like players have rallied around him and for the most part what I see is guys like Smyth, Yak, Gordon, Perron, Gaz, Jones, Joensuu, Petry.

He's got a lot of guys paying attention and playing differently.

Let's hope. I'd like to see him take the "big 4" aside and coach them a bit. Throw your weight around, get the puck to the net, etc.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
A stint on the Nuge line could be required as weird as it sounds.

Might as well. Nobody else seems to be working with him at the moment.

I actually like a lot of these MacT acquisitions. I know a lot of people (myself included) are looking for that one big sexy move but I don't think it's going to come anytime soon, if ever. In the meantime make small improvements to the team (or big ones in the case of goaltending) and things may just fall into place. I feel pretty good going into next year with a tandem of Scrivens/Fasth and a decent bottom 6.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
A stint on the Nuge line could be required as weird as it sounds.

I have been thinking the same thing of late, get him on there for a few games and give opposing defenses something to think about other than a toe drag. RNH is good at getting the puck in deep but Eberle isn't exactly a puck retrieval guy, Hendricks is.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Might as well. Nobody else seems to be working with him at the moment.

I actually like a lot of these MacT acquisitions. I know a lot of people (myself included) are looking for that one big sexy move but I don't think it's going to come anytime soon, if ever. In the meantime make small improvements to the team (or big ones in the case of goaltending) and things may just fall into place. I feel pretty good going into next year with a tandem of Scrivens/Fasth and a decent bottom 6.

He's made some piss poor trades/signings and some brilliant ones. This offseason is huge for our team as the core is starting to lose confidence and it could be very costly if things don't get turned around soon.

Goaltending looks to be secure, now we need either a 1B center or 2C with size and grit, a top 6 power forward or a high end D and a few more Hendricks types to round out our roster.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
He's made some piss poor trades/signings and some brilliant ones. This offseason is huge for our team as the core is starting to lose confidence and it could be very costly if things don't get turned around soon.

Goaltending looks to be secure, now we need either a 1B center or 2C with size and grit, a top 6 power forward or a high end D and a few more Hendricks types to round out our roster.

I think the poor trades/signings are fairly negligible. I'll take the Perron/Scrivens trades any day of the week. Unfortunately the season is lost but MacT has been active (unlike his predecessor) at finding deals and hopping on certain things. Certainly the emergence of Jones for LA made Scrivens expendable and credit to MacT for jumping on it.

At this point I don't really care that Smid is gone. we're not giving up 4 goals a game anymore and while he wasn't the main reason we struggled defensively, his inability to get the puck out hurt the team at times. The team is slowly inching their way up the GA/G charts too thanks in large part to Scrivens/Fasth.

The West is still too deep to challenge this year anyway. I don't think the Avs are going to maintain this level of compete through next year and things should change a lot in the off-season.

And if we draft Ekblad (which looks very likely) then all the better. ;)

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think the poor trades/signings are fairly negligible. I'll take the Perron/Scrivens trades any day of the week. Unfortunately the season is lost but MacT has been active (unlike his predecessor) at finding deals and hopping on certain things. Certainly the emergence of Jones for LA made Scrivens expendable and credit to MacT for jumping on it.

At this point I don't really care that Smid is gone. we're not giving up 4 goals a game anymore and while he wasn't the main reason we struggled defensively, his inability to get the puck out hurt the team at times. The team is slowly inching their way up the GA/G charts too thanks in large part to Scrivens/Fasth.

The West is still too deep to challenge this year anyway. I don't think the Avs are going to maintain this level of compete through next year and things should change a lot in the off-season.

And if we draft Ekblad (which looks very likely) then all the better. ;)

His biggest mistakes are Eakins and starting the year with Dubarbara. He has since rectified one of those mistakes in shoring up the goaltending. We'll see what happens with Eakins after this season. The D was also pretty horrible but what's done is done. We need some size desperately in our top 6 and we need more consistent physical play in our bottom 6. Then of course our D needs more help although at this point it's promising that Marincin and Klefbom are doing as well as they have been.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
His biggest mistakes are Eakins and starting the year with Dubarbara. He has since rectified one of those mistakes in shoring up the goaltending. We'll see what happens with Eakins after this season. The D was also pretty horrible but what's done is done. We need some size desperately in our top 6 and we need more consistent physical play in our bottom 6. Then of course our D needs more help although at this point it's promising that Marincin and Klefbom are doing as well as they have been.

I don't think he had much of a choice in this regard. Other than Bryz (who didn't want to come here) there weren't any viable options.

D-men are very, very hard to acquire unless you draft them. I'm not even sure who's available in the off-season but I suspect it will be slim pickings again.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta

Thinking that having a #1 pick should equal superstar right away is the exact mentality that led Tambo to get us into this mess.

I think peoples expectations should come from actually watching the player instead of comparing him to other players because of some draft number beside their name. There was a lot of question marks regarding RNH being nhl ready due to his physical limitations coming into this league so maybe trying to compare to his success in 62 games on a bottom 2 team was a bit premature. If you value being NHL ready the most maybe you should of been advocating taking Landeskog or Couturier at the draft.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005

I think the biggest difference is that Mctavish seems to know what he wants his team to look like and he actively goes out looking to get that. He'll make some moves that look like he's over paying but he gets what he wants, but he doesn't get so willing to make a move that he makes an absolute disaster of a trade.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I love the assumption here that Hendricks being a great locker room presence is somehow "offsetting" the coaching that Eakins is doing.:shakehead

Maybe the players are actually sticking to what Eakins is preaching because of vocal guys like Hendricks. We just don't know.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
As a rookie I would marvel at his play because he made the right play almost every time in the offensive zone. Such a smart player.

He was SO good in his rookie year, it was unreal. His passes were crisp and tape to tape, his edge work was amazing, his vision unreal.

He is just a shadow of his rookie self, I really don't get it.

He can't make passes, can't shoot, seems to have lost his vision, isn't using his edges as effectively. He has massively regressed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad