Injury Report: Ryan McDonagh (Practicing with Team, Full Contact)

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Yandle is going to become a liability in the playoffs. Just like he has in zero (0) playoffs in the past.

I can't imagine what certain people would say about him if he had a playoff run as bad as Staal's was last year.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Well Staal is a +2, and Yandle is -4. So i guess having Staal on the ice has a better chance to score than be scored on when at even strength. :rolleyes:
Absolutely. If you include empty net situations, it is indeed more likely that Staal will be on for a plus than Yandle.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Well Staal is a +2, and Yandle is -4. So i guess having Staal on the ice has a better chance to score than be scored on when at even strength. :rolleyes:

that simply indicates the team as a whole plays better when Marc Staal is on the ice, which you should be able to confirm with Corsi ratings.

But you can't, because Staal is a possession black hole

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
New York Rangers @NYRangers
Ryan McDonagh will be sidelined indefinitely with an upper body injury. He will not dress in any of the 3 remaining regular season games.

So exactly as expected. Zero information. They could have just not released a statement and it would have been the same thing.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Doesn't effect his skating or his overall strength - shooting would be hurt the most and passing maybe a bit

He plays in the post-season. I guess I'll take it... Better than last years' injury at least.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Sources have told The Post that while McDonagh is not expected to be sidelined longterm, he very well could miss the first few games of the opening round with the break he sustained Monday in Columbus blocking a Brandon Dubinsky shot at 14:47 of the first period of the Blueshirts’ playoff clinching 4-2 victory.

Silver lining is that it's a small fracture that needs a few weeks to heal. Not the worst news.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Que the meltdown because their withholding information and not giving us an exact timetable. Its playoff time boys the secrecy shouldn't be a surprise.

Playoffs start what the 12/13th, game 4 should probably be around the 19/20th that gives him two weeks to heal. Gotta figure the timetable will change depending on where we are at in the series come the second week mark.

He played game 7 last season with a broken foot, he'll be back sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Silver lining is that it's a small fracture that needs a few weeks to heal. Not the worst news.

I will sign for that. Maybe ready for game 3 maybe even game 2 being super optimistic. Figure game 3 will allow for almost 2 full weeks of healing

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
This team just got 2 out of what should have been 6 "gimme" points while playing for home ice advantage. They were already cooked before McD broke his hand.

This. Even if McDonagh, Lundqvist, Zucc and Brassard all played at their peak, Pittsburgh will bounce them. The team as a whole is garbage.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Corsi stats are just as silly as +/- ;)

Quite an asinine statement. If you want to discuss that there's other threads. But to completely shoot down a very clear difference between how terrible Staal has been this season and how effective the team is with Yandle, provide something semi relevant to at least back it up.

If Yandle was a home grown player people would be obsessed with him. If we had traded pieces for Staal/Girardi or signed them to the contracts they have now as FA's people would despise them as bad as Redden/Gomez/Drury.

Every stat and eye test backs up the fact that the team is more effective with Yandle on the ice than off it. McD is the only D-Man that we can discuss in the same sentence as him at this point.

I wish that Staal was what many believe him to be (or believe he can get back to) but unfortunately he has never shown that level of play since the eye injury. Girardi too. I wish from here on out they become elite level defenseman. I don't root against them. I want them to be amazing every single game. I want the Rangers to win. Fact is, for a significant sample size now, both have been trending downward and at their age with their wear, that's almost 100% not a mistake. These guys are on the downswing. Yandle isn't. McD isn't. McIlrath isn't.

Yandle is going to become a liability in the playoffs. Just like he has in zero (0) playoffs in the past.

I can't imagine what certain people would say about him if he had a playoff run as bad as Staal's was last year.

We both know people give homegrown players a pass around here. It's probably because we didn't produce many for a decade. I gave Staal and Girardi a pass for a while too. Girardi has been atrocious since the L.A. series. Staal has been for the majority of this season. How long can you go believe these guys nearing/past 30 will all of sudden turn it on? It's about as likely as their age beginning to regress.

He played game 7 last season with a broken foot, he'll be back sooner rather than later.

Which was moronic and potentially cost the team that game. He couldn't skate and we benched a forward for him to do nothing but be a severe hindrance on the ice. I appreciate the effort, but sometimes you have to know the difference between being a detriment to your team because of injury and playing through something where you can be helpful

Last edited:

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
This. Even if McDonagh, Lundqvist, Zucc and Brassard all played at their peak, Pittsburgh will bounce them. The team as a whole is garbage.

This is as well developed as the safety plan for the Hindenburg.

If all out best players played at their peak, we would bounce?

Do you guys follow sports to feel bad? WTF!

Anyway, I was hoping the McDonagh injury was more precaution and swelling, but this makes me sad.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Quite an asinine statement. If you want to discuss that there's other threads. But to completely shoot down a very clear difference between how terrible Staal has been this season and how effective the team is with Yandle, provide something semi relevant to at least back it up.

If Yandle was a home grown player people would be obsessed with him. If we had traded pieces for Staal/Girardi or signed them to the contracts they have now as FA's people would despise them as bad as Redden/Gomez/Drury.

Every stat and eye test backs up the fact that the team is more effective with Yandle on the ice than off it. McD is the only D-Man that we can discuss in the same sentence as him at this point.

I wish that Staal was what many believe him to be (or believe he can get back to) but unfortunately he has never shown that level of play since the eye injury. Girardi too. I wish from here on out they become elite level defenseman. I don't root against them. I want them to be amazing every single game. I want the Rangers to win. Fact is, for a significant sample size now, both have been trending downward and at their age with their wear, that's almost 100% not a mistake. These guys are on the downswing. Yandle isn't. McD isn't. McIlrath isn't.

We both know people give homegrown players a pass around here. It's probably because we didn't produce many for a decade. I gave Staal and Girardi a pass for a while too. Girardi has been atrocious since the L.A. series. Staal has been for the majority of this season. How long can you go believe these guys nearing/past 30 will all of sudden turn it on? It's about as likely as their age beginning to regress.

Which was moronic and potentially cost the team that game. He couldn't skate and we benched a forward for him to do nothing but be a severe hindrance on the ice. I appreciate the effort, but sometimes you have to know the difference between being a detriment to your team because of injury and playing through something where you can be helpful

Homegrown advantage?

Are you saying HF Boards Rangers followers haven't gushingly posted about Yandle's possession numbers?

Are you saying that many posters didn't angrily say the name Girardi or Staal to such a degree that I started to assume they developed a forum based Tourette's Syndrome?

Yandle is not a very good defensive defenseman. Now, he will need to be shifted do to the injury, but let's not leap to the moon here about his d-zone play please.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Staalsy with another rock solid game, 23 minutes of ice again.

Maybe the McD injury won't finish us off after all as long as his replacement, Staal, continues his solid play.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00