Injury Report: Ryan McDonagh (Practicing with Team, Full Contact)

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
One things for sure yandle plays much better with increase minutes especially in regards to the offensive flow. His outlet passes are thing of beauty. Main concern is pk without mcdonagh and his skating ability in the d Zone.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Right there with you.

Nev and I = the Rock and Samuel L right before they jump off the roof in the other guys.

"You thinking what I'm thinking?"
"Yup, aim for the bushes"
*fist bump*

aim-for-the-bushes-o.gif

:yo:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Lol at posters who think Yandle will step up and could even hold McD's jock when it comes to the DEFENSIVE side of the game.

Yandle would be grossly exposed vs another teams top line for 25 minutes a game.

Staal would be the better man for that job, as he proved yesterday night.

Rangers basically need to be on the attack all 60 minutes of the game if they want to get anywhere in the playoffs. Even with McDonagh they are/were probably screwed if they spend any amount of time in their own end against Pittsburgh, the Islanders, Washington, etc.

Team needs to be aggressive as hell about pushing the attack or they're screwed anyways so hell just go for it.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Or maybe you're just looking under rocks to see if you can find gold. There are situations where the defense is short and what happens? The same under Tippett as Vigneault. They look down the bench--they don't even see Yandle. It's got nothing to do with his taking an average 24 minutes of ice time for what was usually a pretty mediocre Coyotes team. Even Tippett didn't see him on his PK--no matter how many D were in the box or if one of them were injured to boot.

Yandle is an offensive d-man. If he could provide defense at or about the level of his offense he would be a legitimate star----and he's not. He's a good player and a real asset when used in the right situations. Penalty killing is not his situation. He is not the player McDonagh is--and he's nowhere near the player that guys like Subban, Doughty, Keith (just to mention a few) are. Those guys all have offense and defense.

Have you personally spoken to Tippett? Because that's the only way you phrasing your opinions can be taken as fact. The fact remains that there has been absolutely no relevant sample size with Yandle killing penalties. I truly believe that this year, had he been used on the PK that he could have been as effective as Boyle and potentially Girardi. The bar is pretty low there anyway.

And I hate to break it to you, McD is not at the level of those guys you mentioned either. He is also not in Yandles class offensively, at all. Yandle can hang with those guys offensively, he can't defensively. McD can (arguably) hang with those guys defensively, not offensively.

Again, not necessarily saying Yandle is better than McD, but the gap is not as wide as many Rangers fans want to beleive. The Rangers also (again small sample size) have shown that they can thrive when Yandle gets more minutes.

Time will tell and if this injury is as severe as the rumors persist, we will see how Yandle and the team fare with his increased role in big games.

BarbaraAlphanse

In all seriousness, injuries happen. It's tough. Losing a captain for any duration of time would be a hit.

Can the Rangers win without him? Yes. Does it hurt their chances to win without him? Yes. Does it signal a death sentence. No.

Yandle will get more minutes. Last time that happened the Rangers were quite successful. And that's without Staal playing somewhat decently as he has since Gorts traded for Big Bro.

You can take the panthers and usher a well rested McD for the second series.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
/putsontinfoilhat

Guys it's totally obvious that AV staged this to disguise tanking for the Wild Card spot

/takestinfoilhatoff

BarbaraAlphanse

This year, I think it's our year.

We're moving up in the world. From the rock + Samuel L to the ents from LOTR two towers, when they successfully take down Soromon.

This year's version of our playoff plight: the ent on fire that extinguishes itself when the dam breaks.

Let's rock n roll. SCF 2016 NYR.

mvvrangers

Apr 5, 2016
This is why I feel that AV has made a mistake this year not giving Dylan Mc more ice time this year slowly working him into the line-up. Bringing Brady Skjei up when possible and giving him a little ice time would also have helped.

Both of these guys could have been counted on to fill in due to injuries to the top six. Now we have to worry about their lack of experience.

Bad job by AV this year.

schabadoo

Feb 16, 2012
This is why I feel that AV has made a mistake this year not giving Dylan Mc more ice time this year slowly working him into the line-up. Bringing Brady Skjei up when possible and giving him a little ice time would also have helped.

Both of these guys could have been counted on to fill in due to injuries to the top six. Now we have to worry about their lack of experience.

Bad job by AV this year.

McI probably would've played 40 games this year if not for his injury. Seems like a decent amount.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Our top pairing always has McDonagh on the left side. When McDonagh's not in the lineup as far as I'm concerned we don't have such a thing as a top pairing.

So because it's not McDonagh it doesn't count anymore? What kind of logic is that?

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
McDonagh is a close to death sentence for this team as it can come. The only player more important and would absolutely be a death sentence, no question is Lundqvist.

Yandle can (and most likely will) step up and play great, but this defense is bad with McDonagh in the lineup. Going into the playoffs with him out? I can't even imagine how bad this team may get ripped apart.

BarbaraAlphanse

McDonagh is a close to death sentence for this team as it can come. The only player more important and would absolutely be a death sentence, no question is Lundqvist.

Yandle can (and most likely will) step up and play great, but this defense is bad with McDonagh in the lineup. Going into the playoffs with him out? I can't even imagine how bad this team may get ripped apart.

I disagree. I think the team is deep enough to beat equal or inferior teams without McD. Similarly to how they were able to finish of Pitt and stave off Was and go within a game of beating the Lightning without Zucc.

Hank is a death sentence. They're deep to sustain 1, maybe 2, injuries without it hurting unless they fought a better opponent. That would be Washington or Chicago. That's about it. Get out of the metro and get healthy for Washington...

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
McDonagh is a close to death sentence for this team as it can come. ... this defense is bad with McDonagh in the lineup. Going into the playoffs with him out? I can't even imagine how bad this team may get ripped apart.

if it really revolves around 1 guy,
NYR are in over their heads anyway

everyone has injuries.
Pitt's missing Malkin, Fleury, Maatta

by now, you can either play your game with the guys you dress, or you cant

anyway McD hasn't been the "top 10 D in the league" rising stud, that he was 2 years ago, since they gave him the C (in my mind, a needless distraction at that time in his career)

yes of course he's our best, and eats mucho minutes
but he's been fumbling pucks, and taking himself out of position, too

without him, its a bigger challenge

if we get the sloppy Rangers, a short sad series
but if the we get the Rangers who showed up in games like vs Chicago and St Louis, we can win any series

Last edited:

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
I disagree. I think the team is deep enough to beat equal or inferior teams without McD. Similarly to how they were able to finish of Pitt and stave off Was and go within a game of beating the Lightning without Zucc.

Hank is a death sentence. They're deep to sustain 1, maybe 2, injuries without it hurting unless they fought a better opponent. That would be Washington or Chicago. That's about it. Get out of the metro and get healthy for Washington...

Hate to tell you, but Pitt is now a better opponent. Beating them without your best defender is a monumental task. That team can light it up, even without Malkin.

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007
I feel like he's constantly making ill advised blocks. Poor choice of when and which shots to block, and poor execution.

Say what you will about Girardi, but one thing he's clearly amazing at is knowing how to block shots without getting injured. I'm not arguing the merits of blocking shots or not, but we're always seeing McD going down hard after blocking shots and Girardi is like wolverine with nothing hurting him.

Girardi we see a lot of one knee, compacting himself together and turning to expose the side of his body and leg.

With McD I feel like we see a lot of him reaching and exposing his limbs. He's had multiple blocks in the past where he blocked the shot with his hand and arm, it's just not smart.

The best hope now is that Marc Staal becomes Marc Staal 2012 and Keith Yandle plays well.

Tbh I feel like Staal has been coming around lately, I think he's looked good ever since the Anaheim game, so maybe this will be good for him.

Either way it's a massive blow. McD is the worst skater to lose, now in two straight playoff seasons.

If I recall, that's exactly what McDonagh did.

And the idea of players thinking, "I'm not going to block this, I'm going to let my goalie save it," is kind of comical. Can't think of many hockey players who would think like that.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Perhaps if he had a compete partner, and not a boat anchor he has to drag around and basically do both of their jobs, he would be top 10 Dman. Look at his stats when he plays with other partners. And him becoming captain has literally nothing to do with his "perceived" declining of play the last two years.

That's great if everyone feels different and I respect the opinions of others, but Rangers fans shouldn't be so ho-hum that their best player besides Hank is out for the most important games of the season.

Expecting the corpses of Staal, Girardi and to a lesser extent Boyle to step up and elevate their game with McDonagh out just isn't likely. They haven't done it all season, so I see no reason to think otherwise.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

Losing Zucc compared to losing McD are completely different. Zucc isn't playing 25 minutes and shutting down top lines. Zucc is much easier able to be replaced.

The love affair some have with Yandle is sickening. Guy is a AVERAGE defenseman in his own zone. Whether you want to live in la la land and not believe that is your choice. We will see it in a few weeks when the big games start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad