Injury Report: Ryan McDonagh (Practicing with Team, Full Contact)

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
I'm not concerned. Everyone has injuries and Pitt lost a better player than us. If we lose in the 1st round this is not an excuse.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Losing Zucc compared to losing McD are completely different. Zucc isn't playing 25 minutes and shutting down top lines. Zucc is much easier able to be replaced.

The love affair some have with Yandle is sickening. Guy is a AVERAGE defenseman in his own zone. Whether you want to live in la la land and not believe that is your choice. We will see it in a few weeks when the big games start.

He did play well and step up in mcdonaghs absence last time and he also has helped our pp immensely since he's been given the undisputed reign of quarterbacking the pp. but I agree with you he is average defensively in his own end.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I'm not concerned. Everyone has injuries and Pitt lost a better player than us. If we lose in the 1st round this is not an excuse.

True and Carl hagelin is on their second line. All I remmeber hearing is no way is Carl hagelin a second liner in this league and that hes a third liner at best.Yet he apparently is a top 6 sometimes a top 3 now on what some on here consider the new powerhouse team of the east.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Yandle-Klein
Skjei-Girardi
Staal-Boyle

I think that's the way to go. Just doesnt seem like mcilrath is gonna find a way into lineup especially now with a youngster in skjei called up.
Yandle and Klein hopefully can work some magic together. The other two pairings lets just hope for the best

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
That's what I thought happened.

Sure it was. It was just bad luck the puck hit his hand and not say, his skate.

Not a good play at all. He should have let Hank make that save. Can't be putting his body on the line this close to the playoffs, because bad things can happen (And they did).

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Losing Zucc compared to losing McD are completely different. Zucc isn't playing 25 minutes and shutting down top lines. Zucc is much easier able to be replaced.

The love affair some have with Yandle is sickening. Guy is a AVERAGE defenseman in his own zone. Whether you want to live in la la land and not believe that is your choice. We will see it in a few weeks when the big games start.
I think most will agree that Yandle isn't great at defending. What he's great at is making sure his team isn't the one defending.

But of course, the team would be better with McDonagh and Yandle.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
That depends on what you call McDonagh's spot. He certainly wasn't getting the toughest defensive assignments and he wasn't killing any penalties.

Penalty killing, you're correct, but pretty sure you're wrong about 5v5 competition. Please provide evidence to back this up, because I couldn't find anything other than your opinion that his competition was lesser during those games than others. Almost sure they weren't considering it seems Girardi (who he was playing with mostly) wasn't impacted in his QOC stats

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
When was the last time Marc Staal was used as the Rangers #1 defenseman in the playoffs? Like it or not, Keith Yandle is and has been the 2nd best defenseman on the Rangers since he was brought here. It's not really even close.

2010-2011 was the last time Staal led the team in minutes for D-Men in the playoffs. The next season he was about 100 minutes less than McD.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I think most will agree that Yandle isn't great at defending. What he's great at is making sure his team isn't the one defending.

But of course, the team would be better with McDonagh and Yandle.

I can absolutely agree with that, and while I'm sure he will limitsomewhat the amount of time the puck is our zone because he is able to make a good first pass or can skate it out of danger better than most, I'm more concerned about that time where the puck is in our zone and we are being pressured. Unfortunately playing against better teams that will happen more frequently.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
When was the last time Marc Staal was used as the Rangers #1 defenseman in the playoffs? Like it or not, Keith Yandle is and has been the 2nd best defenseman on the Rangers since he was brought here. It's not really even close.

Staal is now ****** makes Yandle good at defense?

Anyway, a few of you mentioned the monumental success of Yandle as McDonagh's replacement

Furthermore, Staal has a good history of success in the playoffs, and he's been playing much better for a while.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Really? You should probably re-watch it.

https://streamable.com/a4al

Oh, my mistake, I was remembering him pokechecking at the time of the block, which is a move he does all the time. I think he was doing it earlier on that PK and that's why I remember it that way.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but I'm almost positive he dropped to one knee and turned his body. His hand was down by his skates.

Apologies, I was wrong, I was remembering the play incorrectly.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Marc Staal has been playing much better lately? Yandle is better at preventing team from having scoring opportunities, whether that's because he's playing in the offensive zone or not is irrelevant. Fact remains, when Yandles on the ice the team has a better chance to score than to get scored against. Same can't be said for Staal. Point of the game is to get more goals.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Marc Staal has been playing much better lately? Yandle is better at preventing team from having scoring opportunities, whether that's because he's playing in the offensive zone or not is irrelevant. Fact remains, when Yandles on the ice the team has a better chance to score than to get scored against. Same can't be said for Staal. Point of the game is to get more goals.

This matters because there is an antithesis and equally important point of the game to this.

xsniper11x

Jul 12, 2002
Visit site
This isn't my base case. However, if McD is out long term and Yandle successfully goes into Duncan Keith mode, becoming a beacon of solid 2 way D for 25-28 min in round 1, you can expect him to command 20% more then anticipated this offseason. Especially if we advance because of it.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

Well Staal is a +2, and Yandle is -4. So i guess having Staal on the ice has a better chance to score than be scored on when at even strength. :rolleyes:

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
This isn't my base case. However, if McD is out long term and Yandle successfully goes into Duncan Keith mode, becoming a beacon of solid 2 way D for 25-28 min in round 1, you can expect him to command 20% more then anticipated this offseason. Especially if we advance because of it.

Duncan Keith mode? U trippin boo...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2