Injury Report: Ryan McDonagh (Practicing with Team, Full Contact)

BarbaraAlphanse

In what world is losing McD ever a good thing? Who cares if Yandle plays more if it meant McD is out.

I'm saying I think you're being overly dramatic. More Yandle = good. Losing McDonagh does not = good. But I do think that the increasing of minutes that would hypothetically be given to Yandle + competence of Staal and Skjei, will be more than enough to propel the team past 5 games, as you fear.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Did anyone notice Yandle on the ice on any of our penalty kills---including the penalty on Marc Staal when we were down to Klein, Giradi, Boyle and Keith? No......well that's because he didn't get any penalty killing ice time. Two minutes straight of Girardi, Klein and Boyle.

Anyone who thinks that Yandle is a better player than McDonagh is out to lunch. McDonagh is our best defenseman and it ain't close. He's our all purpose all situation minute cruncher. After Henrik Lundqvist he is the most important player on our team. Yandle is our best offensive D but he's a mediocrity in his own end.

If McDonagh misses the playoffs we're kind of ****ed.

What I expect is that Ryan is done for the regular season and the Rangers are going to hope and do anything and everything possible to have him in the lineup in game one---if it's a working cast or whatever. One handed he might be as good as most of the other D we have.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Did anyone notice Yandle on the ice on any of our penalty kills---including the penalty on Marc Staal when we were down to Klein, Giradi, Boyle and Keith? No......well that's because he didn't get any penalty killing ice time. Two minutes straight of Girardi, Klein and Boyle.

Anyone who thinks that Yandle is a better player than McDonagh is out to lunch. McDonagh is our best defenseman and it ain't close. He's our all purpose all situation minute cruncher. After Henrik Lundqvist he is the most important player on our team. Yandle is our best offensive D but he's a mediocrity in his own end.

If McDonagh misses the playoffs we're kind of ****ed.

What I expect is that Ryan is done for the regular season and the Rangers are going to hope and do anything and everything possible to have him in the lineup in game one---if it's a working cast or whatever. One handed he might be as good as most of the other D we have.

We have no clue how Yandle would fair on the PK here since AV doesn't allow him to play on it, ever. If you think him not playing on the PK is any indication of how good he would be on it then you are out to lunch.

There is no way Boyle or Girardi are more effective on the PK than Yandle would be. I'd be willing to be a lot on that, especially Boyle.

That being said, I don't think Yandle is better than McDonagh, but it seems that AV's lineup decisions are markedly better when he's out of the lineup. If we didn't have such a dope of a coach, that wouldn't be the case. Unfortunately, the team seems to thrive when Yandle gets more ice time. When McD is out that happens. When he isn't, we often see more Girardi/Staal/Boyle.

RangerFan23

Jul 28, 2010
Larry Brooks strongly suggesting it's a broken hand in the post. Gotta think he knows something unfortunately.

GOAT AINEC

Soon..
Jun 4, 2014
Good thing we kept Yandle.. McDonagh is always injured.

Could have just let Hank make the easy save instead of blocking it with his hand.

NYRCSKA*

Hasn't McDonagh gotten injured around this time the past 3 years in a row? 2 shoulders and a leg around game 75 or so?

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007
Alright so that's every eastern conference team aside from wash with a serious injury now a week before the playoffs. awesome.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
We have no clue how Yandle would fair on the PK here since AV doesn't allow him to play on it, ever. If you think him not playing on the PK is any indication of how good he would be on it then you are out to lunch.

There is no way Boyle or Girardi are more effective on the PK than Yandle would be. I'd be willing to be a lot on that, especially Boyle.

That being said, I don't think Yandle is better than McDonagh, but it seems that AV's lineup decisions are markedly better when he's out of the lineup. If we didn't have such a dope of a coach, that wouldn't be the case. Unfortunately, the team seems to thrive when Yandle gets more ice time. When McD is out that happens. When he isn't, we often see more Girardi/Staal/Boyle.

Yandle never played the PK regularly in his entire career

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Guess McD's never heard of "letting your elite goalie make a save." :laugh:

I'm pretty sure ^this was exactly his line of thinking:

Ohh...a puck has been fired off a stick. But...Lundqvist might not be elite anymore according to the Tweet I read, so I better block this shot with my hand.

AmIRite?

Hopefully the injury is one that he can play through effectively and get a lot of help in the offseason.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Yandle never played the PK regularly in his entire career

So?

That's because AV kept telling the Coyotes to not play Yandle on the penalty kill well before the Rangers were even looking to trade for him. In fact, I think he was enforcing this decision even while he was the coach of the Canucks.

Again, I'm really hoping he couldn't return tonight due to precautions and swelling, and that the injury is something he can play thorough without really messing with his play and causing long term health issues for him.

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
If he is out with a broken hand, it´s over. Not a chanche without McD in the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad