Injury Report: Ryan McDonagh (11/25: Practicing in full)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupersonicMonkey*

I don't think Vermette is a necessity. Brassard Hayes and Moore have played well this year.

This is what i mean...it doesn't matter if its a dire neccessity. If you can add better players you do it. If you want to win a Cup.

But it is a neccessity. Our centers have been garbage. Hayes and St. Louis can't win a faceoff to save their lives. A team that thrives on puck possession can't start with the puck because we suck on draws.

Stepan
Brassard
Vermette
Moore

is a center corp that can compete for a Cup.

Having a desperate combination of St. Louis, Hayes, Mueller, and Moore filling two our three center positions is not going to get us past a LA Kings or Boston Bruins.

AHB*

I don't think its fair to blame Moore, he's playing in over his head. He can pinch to 3C, but to ask him to play there long term is a bit much. The guy is one of the best 4th liners in the league and once he develops some chemistry with his line mates I think we'll see the Moore we saw last season.

I wasn't blaming Moore or anything like that. I was responding to the guy who said he's "been good" this season. That's just inaccurate. It's not a knock on Moore, just stating the facts.

I fully believe Moore will end up being invaluable come playoff push/run time.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Now the question is, who eats up all of McDonagh's PP time? He's currently leading our team in PP TOI per game. I don't think Girardi is the right guy to step up to the top PP unit.

AHB*

More space would have to be cleared on roster to fit Sekera's cap hit. Miller's isn't nearly enough.

I was referring to the trade. They can maneuver enough around the cap to make Sekera fit. I.E. trading J. Moore for a pick, moving Glass. In addition, with everything pro-rated we will have some extra room with so many guys with decent contracts going on IR.

It's not a huge contract, they won't have much issue fitting it if they want. The biggest issue would be what would the Canes want.

AHB*

Rangers Report ‏@rangersreport 3m3 minutes ago
Dylan McIlrath and Conor Allen not playing for the Wolf Pack today. Assume they will be called up at 5 p.m.

Looks like it will be McI and Allen tomorrow.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
McD is out 3-4 weeks and Klein is out on Monday and then further evaluated. Source: Patty L on the micro blog Twitter.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
If its only 3-4 weeks for mac, the NYR just dodged a huge bullet. That is fantastic news.

Yeah, Klein apparently have some real bad swelling and they will need 3-4 days to see more. Could definitely come some bad news after that.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
If its only 3-4 weeks for mac, the NYR just dodged a huge bullet. That is fantastic news.

McD has arguably been our worst dman... I've ahrdly seen any "norris caliber" offense, and his defense has been average at best....

it's not that big of a blow immediately speaking. Boyle's injury on the other hand has singlehandedly destroyed our Power Play...

I think we'll be fine. Hunwick has more than stepped up, and is fitting in super well..

I'm going to take a gander and say that the Rangers ride the year our with Moore and Hunwick alternating games. Worst of the two (which looks to be more and more like Moore with every passing game) gets shipped out in a deadline deal for an upgrade at center.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
McD has arguably been our worst dman... I've ahrdly seen any "norris caliber" offense, and his defense has been average at best....

it's not that big of a blow immediately speaking. Boyle's injury on the other hand has singlehandedly destroyed our Power Play...

I think we'll be fine. Hunwick has more than stepped up, and is fitting in super well..

I'm going to take a gander and say that the Rangers ride the year our with Moore and Hunwick alternating games. Worst of the two (which looks to be more and more like Moore with every passing game) gets shipped out in a deadline deal for an upgrade at center.

Losing McD hurts infinitely more than losing Boyle, even if McD has sucked this season. He's not gonna save the PP when he gets here.

Ugh. It's good he's only out for a month but it sucks he's out. Just gotta keep playing .500 hockey.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

You know, before he got injured last night I was keeping a close eye on him. There wasn't any of that dynamic skating stride we expect from him. In fact, on the PP, he was barely moving his feet at all, even when coming out from behind Hank with the puck. Makes me wonder if there's a more minor lower body injury he's been fighting.

If so, having an injury that pulls him out of the lineup might turn into the lower body rest he really needs.

BarbaraAlphanse

You know, before he got injured last night I was keeping a close eye on him. There wasn't any of that dynamic skating stride we expect from him. In fact, on the PP, he was barely moving his feet at all, even when coming out from behind Hank with the puck. Makes me wonder if there's a more minor lower body injury he's been fighting.

If so, having an injury that pulls him out of the lineup might turn into the lower body rest he really needs.

It could simply be that he is feeling a lot of pressure captaining this team.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
It could simply be that he is feeling a lot of pressure captaining this team.

If the problem was simply decision making I would agree. But skating stride is such an unconscious thing that I can't see that being the captaincy. Now, the decisions he's made haven't been great either, so I agree there's an effect there. He just looked injured to me last night.

BarbaraAlphanse

If the problem was simply decision making I would agree. But skating stride is such an unconscious thing that I can't see that being the captaincy. Now, the decisions he's made haven't been great either, so I agree there's an effect there. He just looked injured to me last night.

It is quite alarming that every single aspect of what made him a dominant player has regressed for some reason this year.

Defensive has been a big issue for him this year. Decision making has left a lot to be desired. And offense... he looks completely lost w/ the puck, especially in the offensive zone.

I don't know. If this was an injury, then it is easy to pinpoint the reason to why his level of play has plummeted. But who knows.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

we've all been saying that... his conditioning is off, and he looks like he's skating in the mud when he skates...

good news is 4 weeks off doesn't hurt the club immediately... McD has not produced anything other than a few minor assists, and he's been playing sluggishly. now with the shoulder injury, this gives him time to heal and recondition not only the injuries, but the body all around. even if he's out 6 weeks, I think we'll be OK...

It is quite alarming that every single aspect of what made him a dominant player has regressed for some reason this year.

Defensive has been a big issue for him this year. Decision making has left a lot to be desired. And offense... he looks completely lost w/ the puck, especially in the offensive zone.

I don't know. If this was an injury, then it is easy to pinpoint the reason to why his level of play has plummeted. But who knows.

If you recall, I would say that this more than plays into what Zucc had said several weeks ago that there were guys "playing hurt"... I wonder if McDonagh was one of them...

I was referring to the trade. They can maneuver enough around the cap to make Sekera fit. I.E. trading J. Moore for a pick, moving Glass. In addition, with everything pro-rated we will have some extra room with so many guys with decent contracts going on IR.

It's not a huge contract, they won't have much issue fitting it if they want. The biggest issue would be what would the Canes want.

John Moore's job is safe for now, but i am seriously wondering if Hunwick becomes the better option once McD is healed.

BarbaraAlphanse

we've all been saying that... his conditioning is off, and he looks like he's skating in the mud when he skates...

good news is 4 weeks off doesn't hurt the club immediately... McD has not produced anything other than a few minor assists, and he's been playing sluggishly. now with the shoulder injury, this gives him time to heal and recondition not only the injuries, but the body all around. even if he's out 6 weeks, I think we'll be OK...

If you recall, I would say that this more than plays into what Zucc had said several weeks ago that there were guys "playing hurt"... I wonder if McDonagh was one of them...

John Moore's job is safe for now, but i am seriously wondering if Hunwick becomes the better option once McD is healed.

I'd trade Moore. Especially if Sekura is a legitimate target.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

McD also played ALOT of hockey last year. I can't help but think of an NFL comparison where an RB gets 300+ carries in a season and then goes downhill. Not saying McD is doomed long-term, but I'm not completely shocked that he's having a hard time so far this year, especially when factoring in the whole captaincy thing.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
McD also played ALOT of hockey last year. I can't help but think of an NFL comparison where an RB gets 300+ carries in a season and then goes downhill. Not saying McD is doomed long-term, but I'm not completely shocked that he's having a hard time so far this year, especially when factoring in the whole captaincy thing.

And the fact that all of these guys most likely took time off which means less training time before camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad