Injury Report: Ryan McDonagh (11/25: Practicing in full)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mouth

Blueshirt Underground on You Tube
May 20, 2009
www.facebook.com
Yes that awful legendary 10 game stretch at the start of the season where Ryan Mcdonagh struggled at times. Let's hope he wasnt a fluke for those other 17O games back their on D.

He's a new captain and he will figure it out.

Now Kevin Klein is the new darling. Kevin Klein has played well but he certainly is not the second coming of Anton Stralman not even close.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Not talking about a meaningless ten games to start the year. Talking about Ryan Mcdonagh the dominant force we had last year christ

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
last years mcd had a norris type season.

this year, not so much.

since hes worn the c, he hasnt resembled last years mcd.

hope hes healthy and comes back strong. he makes us a much better team. obviously.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
Geesh... certainly hope he is not rushed back . We need him for the long haul ahead and in good health not banged up at 50 % . I like the idea of 7 D dressed for his first few games back...we have some horses that I am sure could relish the extra forward workload...guys like Kreider should be like racehorses just chomping at the bit for the extra work . :yo:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
last years mcd had a norris type season.

this year, not so much.

since hes worn the c, he hasnt resembled last years mcd.

hope hes healthy and comes back strong. he makes us a much better team. obviously.

C probably doesn't have anything to do with it, he started last season the same way, trying to do too much

I don't know why people think he's being rushed back. Are you his doctor? He'll be back when he's ready and the doctors are happy and not before. It's ridiculous that every time a player is about to come back from injury around here people start talking about "I hope they're not rushing him back!"

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
C probably doesn't have anything to do with it, he started last season the same way, trying to do too much

I don't know why people think he's being rushed back. Are you his doctor? He'll be back when he's ready and the doctors are happy and not before. It's ridiculous that every time a player is about to come back from injury around here people start talking about "I hope they're not rushing him back!"

He's had two injuries to the same shoulder in half a year. I think it's a legitimate concern.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He's had two injuries to the same shoulder in half a year. I think it's a legitimate concern.

His shoulder may be a concern long term.

What has the organization done to make people think they might send a guy back out before he's physically ready? When have they sent a guy out there too soon, getting him re-injured? I just don't see the cause for concern about him being rushed.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

What has the organization done to make people think they might send a guy back out before he's physically ready? When have they sent a guy out there too soon, getting him re-injured? I just don't see the cause for concern about him being rushed.

Staal?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

With stuff like concussions I think you really have to rely more on the player to some extent to say I'm healthy or no I'm not. Harder to test and get an idea. You can X-ray a shoulder or do strength tests to see how it's doing, can't do that with concussions. If I recall Staal thought he was ok and was trying to return and train and it took awhile to realize things weren't right

The team is not struggling so bad that they have to have him back right away, I think they'll be fine with making the right decision about whether he's ready and healthy.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
With stuff like concussions I think you really have to rely more on the player to some extent to say I'm healthy or no I'm not. Harder to test and get an idea. You can X-ray a shoulder or do strength tests to see how it's doing, can't do that with concussions. If I recall Staal thought he was ok and was trying to return and train and it took awhile to realize things weren't right

The team is not struggling so bad that they have to have him back right away, I think they'll be fine with making the right decision about whether he's ready and healthy.

I am just commenting further as a generalization:

Concussions are all protocol and baseline testing. If a player can pass the baseline tests (they establish individual baselines for every player prior to the season) and the basic/comprehensive protocols were followed, what else can they do?

I suppose they can sit him down extra time as a precaution. However, all the rules and procedures are put in place and have to be followed in an orderly fashion. If they're followed and passed, I would think the Dr. would have to green light the player. They can play with the time between tests and such and drag it out a little more.

That said the brain isn't a joint or a bone, by and large the medical community knows jack squat about the brain and the repercussions of repetitive brain injury, other than they're harmful.

It's way more complicated then rushing the player back. I don't think they can really do that any longer with regards to brain injuries. I suppose a smart player can fake it and pass their baseline test but that's not the team rushing him back per se.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I don't even think that it's about faking the baseline, it's that the baseline and testing isn't foolproof and a player can pass all that but still have issues like headaches and fatigue after exercise, etc. hopefully those protocols continue to improve but it's not exact science yet. I believe Staal said he passed the baseline testing after he had that big concussion

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
Yes that awful legendary 10 game stretch at the start of the season where Ryan Mcdonagh struggled at times. Let's hope he wasnt a fluke for those other 17O games back their on D.

He's a new captain and he will figure it out.

Now Kevin Klein is the new darling. Kevin Klein has played well but he certainly is not the second coming of Anton Stralman not even close.

Yea cause that would be a downgrade for Klein

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I am just commenting further as a generalization:

Concussions are all protocol and baseline testing. If a player can pass the baseline tests (they establish individual baselines for every player prior to the season) and the basic/comprehensive protocols were followed, what else can they do?

I suppose they can sit him down extra time as a precaution. However, all the rules and procedures are put in place and have to be followed in an orderly fashion. If they're followed and passed, I would think the Dr. would have to green light the player. They can play with the time between tests and such and drag it out a little more.

That said the brain isn't a joint or a bone, by and large the medical community knows jack squat about the brain and the repercussions of repetitive brain injury, other than they're harmful.

It's way more complicated then rushing the player back. I don't think they can really do that any longer with regards to brain injuries. I suppose a smart player can fake it and pass their baseline test but that's not the team rushing him back per se.

How is it smart to fake being healthy after sustaining a brain injury?

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York

Kreider was out a couple weeks at the end of last season because he exacerbated his hand injury by playing through it.

I forget if this was a big deal because he didn't tell the coaches about it, or because he did and they played him anyway.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Kreider was out a couple weeks at the end of last season because he exacerbated his hand injury by playing through it.

I forget if this was a big deal because he didn't tell the coaches about it, or because he did and they played him anyway.

IIRC, that was a misdiagnosis more than anything. He injured his hand, but it didn't hurt and the doctors thought he was fine. A few games later and it was really hurting him, and further examination revealed it was a lot worse than initially thought. Then they shut him down.

It's hard for me to believe the Rangers would play McDonagh if there was concern that he wasn't yet fully healed. Unless it's something like the aforementioned Kreider situation where the severity isn't initially recognized, I'd imagine McDonagh comes back when he's fully cleared and with minimal risk of re-injury. I've seen nothing to suggest we're a team that will rush a guy back.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Would be nice if he got in both games here, but that might be too much for a player just returning to play a back to back. I'm sure McD would disagree.

Either way the sooner he finds his form the better.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

Returning was Staal's fault too? This guy can't do anything right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad